User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question So Cal to Nor Idaho

Planning a trip to Northern Idaho from So Cal in the spring of '17. Since it's our first extended trip in our new Imagine, and being newbie RV'rs, I've been trying to figure out the best/easiest route and places to stay. I-5 and US 97 or, 1-15 and I-90? Been trying to figure out the elevation profiles of each route to have an idea of the terrain and what to expect. I know I-5 is flat going through the Central Valley of CA, and probably fastest. but have no knowledge of the other highways. Also any recommendations of places to stay will be appreciated. Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of what you are asking depends on how much time do you want to take to get to Northern Idaho. There are so many routes that you could go.

I 5 to Seattle is really a long long way to connect to I 90. You are going to hit major traffic through Sacramento, Portland, and then in Seattle.

Another option that you may have not thought of is 395 to I 80 That would be a lot less traffic and you have Mammoth Mountain area then Bishop. You could even stop in Bodie if you are into ghost towns before heading into Carson City before joining I 80. There would be more isolated with better scenery, but also way less traffic.

You can connect to I 80 from the 5 or 99. Between the two options you listed the 5 to 97 is much better. We have driven both routes . You could even go 5 to 94 and go along the Columbia River Gorge.

You could also take I 5 to 99 and connect with Hwy 50 instead of I 80.

We took the I-15 route up to I-80 to go cross country. If you have time, going that direction you could see Arches, Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef, etc. if you have the time to dillydally on the way up or on the way back.

The best way to figure it out is to figure out how much time you have to get from So Cal to Nor Idaho. Then break it down to how many miles per day you want to drive. Then figure our what you are interested in seeing along the way, be it Lake Tahoe, the Cascades with Crater Lake, or Las Vegas with the desert national parks mentioned above.
    Last edited by Deb from Cali; 11-03-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry double post it wasn't showing that it had posted.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer we took our trip to Portland and continued on to Montana. Took I-94 through the Columbia River Gorge and up to Idaho. Great trip, first time I took that route. It was worth it. I would recommend coming home through Zion and Bryce. In Portland the Fairview RV Park is a great place to stop. Technically it is in the town of Fairview, but is only 15 minutes from downtown Portland.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll get back to my maps and give your suggestions a review.