Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

310GK-R First Week of Ownership Review.

First week in the books with out 310GK-R and 680 miles. The PDI went well with a loose piece of trim and shade that won’t stay down. After the first week the only other defect we found was the Inverter that runs the fridge stop working. We traveled 7 hours with no power to our fridge and the upper part was at 46 degrees and the freezer was at 19 degrees and the outside temps got up to 78 degrees.

One of the best options is the heat pump (268 dollars) and one night it got down to 42 degrees and the heat pump only keep the inside at 70 degrees. The two 15k Coleman A/C are not as quite as the ones in the Montana but they do seem to have a higher volume of air coming out the vents and really cools a 34’11” coach down fast. The Solitude has a larger fireplace and not having a glass front make it look even more realistic. The Montana had entrance doors that would stay open without latching up to a 20 mph wind and I do miss that option. The steps is love hate relationship, I love them when they down but when I just wanting to quickly get into the 5er at rest stop they are pain to deploy. The short 34’11” 5er with 6 point hydraulic level up makes for a really steady platform with very little movement while moving around inside the 5er.

Setting up the TV for Dish satellite was a challenge. The TV retracts into a cabinet so doesn’t leave a easy way to run a HDMI cable from the receiver in the upper right cabinet to the TV. We were going to tie a string to the HDMI cable going to the built in CD player and pull it though but it was stuck and won’t move. We ended up unplugging the HDMI cable from the Stereo/CD player and adding a extension cable and running to a HDMI multi port switch. We connected the stereo/CD player, satellite dish and Blu-Ray CD player to the switch and got everything working.

This 5er tows better than the Montana with our short wheelbase (143”) F350. We put the 310GK-R on the scales and it’s heaver than I thought it would be with GVW of the trucks was 11,320 and the GVWR of the truck is 11,500 only leaving a margin of 180 lbs. We are not full timers and just packed for week long trip. The pin weight was right at 3100 lbs. Our trucks has a 3744 yellow door sticker payload rating. Our front living room Montana had a pin weight only 80 pounds more than the Solitude but was 39.5 feet long. The Montana didn’t tow well even a 15 mph side wind with out short wheelbase truck (143" wheelbase) with most of the weight of behind the axles. I do plan to post a full weight stats under Solitude Tow Vehicles heading.

Moving from a Montana to Solitude wasn’t much of difference in the quality of the build since they are both top of their respective lines. We are very satisfied with the Solitude and have no regrets for the switching brands. After visiting Hershey RV show we feel we have the best luxury coach under 35 feet long on the market but there is a limited selection in the under 35 foot and under category of luxury 5ers. I do plan to post a full weight status under Solitude Tow Vehicles heading.

Called the dealer for an appointment to get the warranty work done and they could fit me in till tomorrow - Dang - now I have wait 24 hours to get in and looked at.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nice write up Dennis. Hey, when you get a chance can you measure the fireplace and post the dimensions?
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dennis - Sounds like you had a good time and got a great coach. A little more weight margin would be nice, but the 310GK is a definite possibility for us. It's great to see such a satisfied review because as you said, there are precious few choices in that length and class. I really appreciate all the info you have posted. It's a big help.

It's a shame you're going to have to wait for the warranty work...C'est la vie
    Danny & Terri Austin TX
    2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC LWB 4x4 Duramax SRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Nice write up Dennis. Hey, when you get a chance can you measure the fireplace and post the dimensions?
    It's out at the storage area with the batteries disconnect but I put note on my calendar to measure it when we bring into for warranty work.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shrode View Post
    Dennis - Sounds like you had a good time and got a great coach. A little more weight margin would be nice, but the 310GK is a definite possibility for us. It's great to see such a satisfied review because as you said, there are precious few choices in that length and class. I really appreciate all the info you have posted. It's a big help.

It's a shame you're going to have to wait for the warranty work...C'est la vie
    Glad to help. I won't worry about the A/C, the Colemans are lot quieter than the old style. It was 85 out and I set the bedroom air to 68 degrees and the living room air to 72 degrees and the living room very seldom came on. At night I set the living room for 68 and the bedroom for 72 and the bedroom air seldom comes on. If you order be sure to get the heat pump.
    Dennis & Ellie

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which steps do you have, the tork lift or those black ones that block the door ?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Which steps do you have, the tork lift or those black ones that block the door ?
    We got the Torklift, I would be upset if I got the ones that folded into the door way. They filled in under the door so you couldn't even switch them out with major modification to the area below the door.
    Dennis & Ellie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I'll be able to get a new fiver, but the 321 was on my short list and now says Dealer Stock Only. I was bummed until I saw the 310 seems to be a good replacement for it. I am happy to see your review. Thanks.
    2015 Ford F350 SRW CrewCab SB 6.7 PSD, Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch
    2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde pin box, 300w of solar
    1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps, RVN

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitude 310GK is on my short list right now. I want to start with my present tow vehicle, a 2002 chevy 2500 that has a lot of miles, but it is a fun truck (540 rear wheel horse power is fun) I just ordered a new set of rear springs for a one ton to compliment my air bags. A new truck might be coming later this year, but I want a new 5er first. I currently have a very good price offer through Costco's RV program. Blue Dog RV in Post Falls, Idaho has quoted me 58,150.00 which seems pretty fair.
    I need to get my wife to see one in person and we made a trip to a dealer in Billings, MT last Friday only to find they took an extended vacation.
    How easy is the Solitude to keep warm in cold weather is my biggest concern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast