Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haul Gauge

Saw this on another forum, interesting.
    http://haulgauge.com/
    "plug-and-play automotive gizmo tells you exactly how much weight you're towing."
    From the 2017 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) conference in Las Vegas.
    Other cool stuff as well.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really have to question that product. With many vehicles it's possible to calculate or obtain approximate torque and HP measurements via the OBDII port. I guess that if you knew the performance curve of the specific vehicle configuration in question, you might be able to take those measurements on level ground, plus the throttle position, transmission gear, TC lock status, speed, and RPM's and calculate an approximate payload or towed weight.

His photos don't show how it connects to the vehicle, and I don't see any method of telling it what vehicle it's installed in. It may be able to auto-detect the protocol, but I know from past experience that doesn't always work well. Even the pro tools ask you what make of vehicle you are connecting to. Each trim level would have different weights and curves as well.

It's an interesting idea, and I would love to see how accurate it is. It says he has 20 patents...
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally if something looks to good to be true, it isn't
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a video or two on the Haul Gauge and bought one. My 18RBE is a little over half the towing capacity of my Silverado 1500, but I guess I'm just a gadget guy. The displayed empty truck weight was very close to the door jamb placard and the tongue weight was also very close in the ball park. I'm still playing with the weight distribution section. All in all, I think this is a great, low cost way to obtain your individual towing specs without having to go to a truck stop and use the Cat scales. Sure, they're probably more accurate, but for a quick check I am very satisfied with the Haul Gauge and highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also thought may be too good to be true , and in my case it is. Truck weighs 9100 lbs full and ready to tow. HG read anywhere from 6100 to 8500 with many tries. Towing our 310 it showed combined weight of 14500. Went thru several recalibrations and emails with the company and finally just through in the towel. The company was pretty responsive and did give me a full refund. May work for some , but not for me.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I've looked at the video and done some internet research. Meaning I've spent 20 minutes on Google trying to figure how this thing works. I think it does something that makes it seem to work for 70% of its customers. I got this by noting that 30% of Amazon reviewers are not really satisfied, as they rated it 1-3. But that doesn't mean that the satisfied 70% have any better idea of what their vehicle and trailer actualy weigh now that they are using this thing. They just got consistent results with it. The dissatisfied 30% complain that is difficult to set up and/or gives nonsense results. Worse, too many vehicles are not in the company's database. On the plus side their customer service seems great, and they have no problem giving their buyers money back. Its not for me.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel