User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    john Miller

How important is it to add anti freeze

We have a 2017 2800 BH and may not use it again till spring. I have opened and drained the water heater, opened and drained the water at the low point outlets. I also emptied the fresh water tank and the grey and black tanks. The trailer also has shore power and a small space heater is set to come on when temperature gets very cold. Temperatures in Arkansas are usually mild but we do get occasional extreme cold a few days. Do I need to put the anti freeze in the lines?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Arkansas I would think you would be okay, if you blow all the lines out including the outside shower and black tank flush. If you have washer hookups don,t forget about it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The area that blowing out the lines does not clear very well is the water pump and the lines in and out of it. These pumps will not pump or draw very well once there is air in the pump. The complication (and risk) of leaving a space heater unattended makes the few dollars for antifreeze a good investment . . . not to mention the peace of mind.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you store you trailer on site then just throw a small space heater in it for the few days where the temps might get to freezing. I live in Oregon and have never added anti freeze and my friends don't either. We just blow the lines out. We might get some freezing temps for a few days but rarely more than 4-5 straight and even then the day time temps usually get above freezing. I have a small space heater that I'll run for just those days. Never had any issues in 6 years doing that. PEX tubing is very forgiving in cold temps.

john Miller
    Thanks for the responses. Probably could have got by without but I put 2 gallons of anti freeze in today. Rather be safe than sorry.

John

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a good idea. When we first went south with our 303, I decided we would be good to de winterize at our stop in southern Oregon. We didn't use the furnace, just the fireplace and an electric heater. That night it got pretty cold and the next morning a line to the kitchen sink was frozen. There was a temperature inversion and the higher we climbed in the Siskiyous, the warmer it got and it was thawed before we got to Redding. No damage done.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick,

Good reminder that only running the furnace will duct warm air to the under floor water lines and tanks. The fireplace and other electric heaters inside the unit will not get heat to the under floor spaces.

It would have been ideal if the system had been designed so that you could run just the furnace fan. This would bring in electrically heated "return air" from the interior and send it to the underbelly. Maybe a project for the electrical engineers on this forum ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

john Miller
    Thanks again to all. I put 2 gallons on Preston RV antifreeze in my unit . All supply lines and traps,toliet and even the fresh water tank. Plus still have the electric heater inside set to come on in extreme cold. I should be covered. John miller