User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom's Towing Paranoia Has Been Solved

The attached photo's pretty much says it all. After doing some shopping with all of the Big 3, we decided on this RAM3500. To be sure, in this class of truck, the 3 competitors are very close to performance and price. We were lucky enough to go to a dealership (Woody Folsom Automotive group) that represents the Big 3. Additionally, the sales folks there are allowed to show customers the product they represent and other offerings in the automotive group. In fact, the Ford, GM, Dodge dealerships are all in one row which made it nice to go from one product to another to compare and, at the same time, retain the same salesman. I think we were also fortunate to have a salesman that had towing experience from semi's to gooseneck flat beds to those large box Fed-Ex express trucks and had experience with each of the Big 3's trucks. In the end it pretty much came down to price (discounts, rebates, finance rate, etc.). Yeah....we took a loss, but knew that going in. However, the $3000 loss we felt was very reasonable considering the XD wasn't quite 10 months old.

So now my mind is at ease knowing we have more than enough "truck" for now and if we decide to upsize. On the way home I decided to yank the wife's chain since she knows about my CLWEA disease. The look on her face when I started talking about Gale Banks performance parts and such. She lost it when I said, "And I'm telling you....this truck would look awesome with chrome 4" exhaust stacks just behind the cab."

Again - my thanks to all yoose guizes.

Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ram1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	6068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ram2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	6069

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, you went from one extreme to another! I would think your paranoia would be long gone once you start towing with that beast!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice truck. I still find that I like Rams the best but the new Ford's are nice. I wish there was a dealer that had all three like that here though. It's a pain going all over to compare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like you choose a similar path! We just got the 2016 Ram 3500 duelly diesel, Asisin HD tranny, 4.1 differential. Got a sweetheart deal on a Larime Longhorn edition Mega Cab. So far I love the truck, rides nice. Haven't had the opportunity to tow yet, but expect it to not even know the 5ers there! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	6070
    A chaplain and his wife exploring America in a 2016 Ram 3500 Larime Longhorn Mega Cab dually, 6.7L diesel with Aisin tranny, 4.10 differential, with a 2017 Solitude 374TH.

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbogg View Post
    looks like you choose a similar path! We just got the 2016 Ram 3500 duelly diesel, Asisin HD tranny, 4.1 differential. Got a sweetheart deal on a Larime Longhorn edition Mega Cab. So far I love the truck, rides nice. Haven't had the opportunity to tow yet, but expect it to not even know the 5ers there! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	6070
    Hopefully this will translate as to what I sound like. "That thar is one purdy truck."

Tom

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
    Nice truck. I still find that I like Rams the best but the new Ford's are nice. I wish there was a dealer that had all three like that here though. It's a pain going all over to compare.
    I must tell you that even with all the Big 3 in a row, it was a full 2 day process of driving, comparing, etc. So I hear ya. Driving all over God's creation would be a major pain.

And honestly we were really torn between the Big 3. There was at least a couple of plus's that one had that the other didn't. I must say that even though I was leaning (heavily) towards a 2017 F350, having spent 30 years in aviation, I'm pretty familiar with aluminum and most of the alloys. While it's not too difficult to work with, I seriously doubt that your local independent body shop knows how to work with the metal because they mostly deal with steel. Aluminum corrodes, steel rusts. Two very different material properties, grain structures, bearing loads, etc. I'm not sure what Ford means by "Military Strength Aluminum", but the skeptic in me says that was some marketing mumbo-jumbo. However, if I knew what alloy they were using, I'd be in a better position to opine on the material. But the bottom line is that Billy Joe Bob over at U-Crash-Em body shop probably has never worked with Al-You-Min-EE-Um (that's for those out there that might be from the UK).

Tom

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on making the upgrade. I don't think you'll regret it!
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan XD View Post
    I must tell you that even with all the Big 3 in a row, it was a full 2 day process of driving, comparing, etc. So I hear ya. Driving all over God's creation would be a major pain.

And honestly we were really torn between the Big 3. There was at least a couple of plus's that one had that the other didn't. I must say that even though I was leaning (heavily) towards a 2017 F350, having spent 30 years in aviation, I'm pretty familiar with aluminum and most of the alloys. While it's not too difficult to work with, I seriously doubt that your local independent body shop knows how to work with the metal because they mostly deal with steel. Aluminum corrodes, steel rusts. Two very different material properties, grain structures, bearing loads, etc. I'm not sure what Ford means by "Military Strength Aluminum", but the skeptic in me says that was some marketing mumbo-jumbo. However, if I knew what alloy they were using, I'd be in a better position to opine on the material. But the bottom line is that Billy Joe Bob over at U-Crash-Em body shop probably has never worked with Al-You-Min-EE-Um (that's for those out there that might be from the UK).

Tom
    I had my Ford in the body shop last year and was talking to them about the new aluminum trucks. They had just received new tools and materials for repairing the new Fords and were preparing to get formal training. Seems the repairs involve rivets and adhesive as the alloy can't be welded. That could mean can't be welded satisfactorily at a body shop for automotive repair. Probably Bubba wouldn't have all that stuff available.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So now a new forum name to go with the new truck? Very nice rig, you will like the way it tows anything you hook up to.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful truck Tom! The grill looks much easier to clean than mine. It will get the job done for sure. On Nov. 5th I've had mine for a year. So far so good. I only have 3,800 miles on it but many of those were with a 4,000 pound camper in the bed going over 4th of July pass in N. Idaho. I set the cruise at 67mph and she just purrs along. Much different than my 1977 Ford doing 35-40mph almost floored and me with white knuckles.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast