Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progressive Industries surge protector

Has anybody installed a Progressive Industries surge protector in one of the Imagines? Thinking of getting the 2800BH so specifically that one but figured they would all be pretty much the same. If you hard wired one did you just put it behind the breaker box and how hard was it?

Greg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought this one for our 2600RB, its the portable version.
    Last edited by Krazy Kajun; 11-21-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    Greg & Cheryl and our mini schnauzer Molly
    NE Georgia
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Ford F150XLT 5.0L 2WD, Equalizer WDH, factory towing package

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've installed my just behind the power panel on a 2800BH. There are a few potential areas inside to mount, and beginning to end was maybe an hour to install. Purchase additional wire, about 3 feet (I believe it is 10 gauge, but taking the panel off to check is rather easy).I would recommend disconnecting the wiring from the circuit breaker and installing into the Progressive Unit and avoid splicing, use the new wire to connect the surge protector to your circuit panel. I installed the read out with double sided tape on the outside of my circuit breaker box. The readout is a bit low for most, but works well for me and no holes to drill.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witkowbj View Post
    I've installed my just behind the power panel on a 2800BH. There are a few potential areas inside to mount, and beginning to end was maybe an hour to install. Purchase additional wire, about 3 feet (I believe it is 10 gauge, but taking the panel off to check is rather easy).I would recommend disconnecting the wiring from the circuit breaker and installing into the Progressive Unit and avoid splicing, use the new wire to connect the surge protector to your circuit panel. I installed the read out with double sided tape on the outside of my circuit breaker box. The readout is a bit low for most, but works well for me and no holes to drill.
    Thanks for the info. Can you give any quick direction on taking the CB panel off to access the area behind it?

Mine is at dealer to address a bathroom door alignment issue so I can't go out to check it out now.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a portable surge protector by TRC. I keep both a 30 amp and 50 amp version for use with our filth wheel depending on the power available at the campground. We can run on a 30 amp service and still use one AC unit. The models we have use the LCD display which constantly shows the voltage and amp draw. I'm glad I went this route as we have upgraded campers twice in the last 3 years (crazy right?) and have been able to keep the same equipment without removing any installed components prior to trading. No matter which way you decide to go you are smart to use a surge protector as RV appliances are expensive to replace. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pluses to a hard wired surge protector is it probably wont be stolen, you can't forget it and isn't out in the weather (I know they're sealed up, but I've seen mine under water after a heavy rain), but most importantly it's always used...even when it's at the shop and you're not plugging it in.

That's my two cents.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But when mine took a hit it died and had to be sent into Progressive to be repaired which was great service but took about 10 days to get back. Now I carry two - Progressive that I use all the time and cheaper Surge Guard for backup.

Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    The pluses to a hard wired surge protector is it probably wont be stolen, you can't forget it and isn't out in the weather (I know they're sealed up, but I've seen mine under water after a heavy rain), but most importantly it's always used...even when it's at the shop and you're not plugging it in.

That's my two cents.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start with battery disconnected and AC power unplugged. Open the panel to where you can see the circuit breakers & fuses. Upper corners there are screws, remove the screws and the panel will pull out toward you. This will reveal the space where you should be able to mount.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witkowbj View Post
    start with battery disconnected and ac power unplugged. Open the panel to where you can see the circuit breakers & fuses. Upper corners there are screws, remove the screws and the panel will pull out toward you. This will reveal the space where you should be able to mount.
    thank you for the informaion!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great information. Couldn't reply earlier since my trial subscription had expired. I just officially joined today since we have a 2800BH on order. Looking forward to it. now I just need to decide on portable or hardwired for this and whether to do the Furrion camera or go with another brand that has a bigger screen. It also has an adapter so it can use the Furrion base.

Greg
    '12 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew
    ’17 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous '13 Roo 21SS
    Previous ’98 Coleman Mesa
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    Nights
    Camped
    18 7 21 18 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]