Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tag Wag when being passed by Semi

I'm new to towing a Travel Trailer. I towed only 4 times and my F150 w/3.5 Ecoboost engine pulls great. No problem there but I am not happy with getting sucked over when being passed by semi tractor trailers.

I'm looking for recommendations to improve/fix getting sucked over when being passed by tractor trailers.
    Is it squishy tires on the truck? Will Load Range E, Michelin Defender LTS M/S, LT265/60R20 fix or help?
    Will changing the WDH Spring bars to 1,500 lb version help?
    Do I need to trade the truck in on a F250 SD?

Here are the truck and trailer specs.

Truck:
    2016 F150 w/Max Trailer Tow Package
    2WD SuperCrew w.5.5' bed
    Engine: 3.5 Ecoboost
    GVWR 6800 lbs
    Payload 1964 lbs
    truck empty weight about 4,600 lbs

Tires:
    Michelin LTX M/S2, 275/55R20 113H (35PSI)
    WD Hitch: Blue Ox SwayPro With 1,000 lb bars

Trailer:
    Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
    32 feet from back wall to hitch ball
    Empty Weight 6110lbs
    Max Weight 7490 lbs
    Tongue Weight about 900 lbs

I love the F150 and I would like to be able to make it more stable in wind and when being passed by big trucks. If I can't get it more stable I'll be looking at trading the truck in for a F250/350. I am willing to spend up to $3,000 to make the F150 work.

FYI: I've also posted this on F150 forum.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 11-23-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check on a Hensley or ProPride hitch. Back when I pulled a TT I had a Hensley hitch. Once you use one, you'll never want to go back.

Sent from a tiny keyboard.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Blue Ox Sway Pro is certainly up for the job. I'm thinking you might be going down the right path by looking at the tires. I'm sure other's will chime in here.

Jim

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite a bit of trailer to pull with a 1/2 ton gasser. I'm a big fan of Ford Super Duty trucks and have pulled a TT with nothing less. Even with a bigger truck you will still feel that effect to a certain degree. The sway control recommendations are good. It also helps if you have your foot on the accelerator when you know that draw is going to kick in. Just watch in your mirrors you will learn how to time it. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD2800GH,

I tow a Reflection 5th wheel with an F150 and have absolutely no sway or instability when passed by transports. The trailer is a 5th wheel which is likely a large part of this. But, as Jim says, Blue Ox has trailer sway control figured out, if their hardware is set up correctly.

The big difference between your truck and mine is that I have the heavy payload option (and a steel vs aluminum truck). Heavy payload gets you an extra leaf spring, a bigger differential, a higher axle ratio, stronger wheels and truck tires.

As you suspect, your tires may be a big part of your problem. You are running relatively low profile passenger car tires at 35 psi. My heavy payload version has LT245/75R17E tires running at 60 psi. But, you are going to have to be careful in upgrading just the tires, to stay within the load limit of your wheels and axle.

I am trying to figure out your truck weight/payload specs. I can't imagine how your truck can only weigh 4,600 lbs empty. My 4x4 CC truck weighs 5,900 lbs empty (I have had it weighed) and has a GVWR of 8200 lbs (leaving 2300 payload which matches the door sticker). Your aluminum body truck is 750 lbs lighter, but your numbers don't seem to add up. With a 1964 lb payload, you should be able to tow that trailer comfortably.

Does your truck sit level when hooked up to the trailer ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    That's quite a bit of trailer to pull with a 1/2 ton gasser.
    The Ecoboost is not a "gasser" in the traditional sense. It has a much broader torque curve and power is not affected by elevation.
    It easily hauls it's rated 11,000 lb trailer. I don't think pulling power is what the OP is concerned about.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify.

The wag I feel is when a big truck passes me my tow vehicle front end Yaws towards the passing truck as if the rear axle is pushed away from the passing truck. .

The trailer is level when the Blue Ox spring bars are set. I initially set the hitch ball 1.5" higher than the trailer before being attached and bars loaded. I just dropped the ball one hole. This should make the trailer slightly nose low when towing. When I get the trailer back from dealer service I'll see how it tows home.

I had a 2014 F150 4x4 a few years ago. According to the registrations
    My 2014 4x4 3.5EB weight was 5395 lbs. (7,200# GVWR)
    My 2.7EB 2016 2WD weight was 4422
    My current 3.5EB 2016 2WD weight is 4538 (6800# GVWR)
    Door sticker shows payload at 1954 lbs

Theoretically I have ample truck to tow my 7,490# when wet Imagine. As configured, the Ford Towing guide has my;
    Max Trailer Weight at 11,800 lbs
    GCWR at 17,000 lbs
    Max Tongue Load with WDH 1,220 lbs

I don't have an issue with overweight anywhere. But the nose of the truck turns towards big trucks as they pass me. Also cross winds cause the nose to turn towards the wind gusts.

I will not live with this. It's too uncomfortable.

Everything I've been reading about the ProPride moving the force vector in front of the rear axle sounds very promising. Theoretically that would resolve the steering issues with crosswind gusts or big trucks passing.

I LOVE THE F150 w/3.5EB engine when not towing. I do not like the stiff bouncy ride of a F250/350 when not towing. If I can get a resolution to the tail wag I would much prefer that over buying a SuperDuty F250/350.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good discussion here. I admit I don't know much about Ford's EcoBoost engine as I have never owned one or driven one. I am biased to the SD trucks as we have used and abused them in our remodeling business for years and they keep coming back for more. Like others have pointed out sway control is key with any TT set up. Like Cate & Rob pointed out a fifth wheel setup virtually eliminates this issue as the hitch weight is positioned immediately above or just slightly forward of the tow vehicle rear axle. A good sway control setup will distribute some of the tongue weight forward of the rear bumper which makes a huge difference. LT tires that will tolerate a higher PSI are a good idea just not sure what that will do to the ride of the truck around town when not towing which you said is a big plus with this truck. And you are right the SD trucks are a stiff ride unless they are loaded. I copied the following link from youtube and it features a roughly 3 minute video explaining some of the physics of towing TT's and fifth wheel's. Pretty cool. https://youtu.be/8eyK4fkg_pI
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2016 Ford F150 Ecoboost with max towing. I recently upgraded to a blue ox WDH and it helped greatly with towing. If your trailer is towing smooth and straight and not fish tailing you are probably set up OK. My trailer also "sucks" in as a semi goes by but not like the old WDH I had. I have heard nothing but great reports about the Propride 3P hitch. As in previous posts I would recommend E load tires and pump them up to 70 lbs. since LT tires are an option and not standard on the max tow option. HDPP option on the truck would add about 300 lbs. of additional payload to the truck.
    I added a Helwig rear sway bar and better rear shocks to keep the rear of the truck planted.
    Your payload is fine. Tongue weight should be around 1000 lbs. so if you are not overloaded in the bed of the truck you are OK. Remember passenger weight is also counted in the total payload.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2011 f150 Fx4 ecoboost pulling a two different trailers. The first one was a 26' toy hauler and the second one was a open range 319 fifth wheel. Before the f150 I had a chevy 2500hd with the 6.0 motor. With the f150 I had pretty much the same feeling you are describing. I changed out the tires to open country at2's and added air bags. What a difference that made! The truck was rock solid. I have since upgraded to a 2015 f250 6.7 diesel. The only reason I upgraded trucks was because I was over loaded on the rear axle of the f150. But I'll say I do miss my f150.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast