User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford Super Duty Trailer Camera and Trailer TPMS

I have a 2017 Ford F450 pulling my Momentum 399TH. I purchased from Ford a "Trailer Camera and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)" kit. The kit for the most part is installed on my fifth wheel and includes a rear-mounted back-up camera, TPMS module (receiver), 4 trailer TPMS sensors, two wiring harnesses and various other parts. This trailer camera is NOT a wireless system, but rather a wired installation which is powered by the connection to the F450 and also transmits the camera image over the wire which appears on the central display built into the dash when the driver selects the "Aux" camera. I've hooked together the harnesses to the F450 and saw a nice image from the aux camera when I put the vehicle in reverse and selected aux. (I realize I have to purchase two more TPMS sensors from Ford and I ordered these yesterday.)

The "Camera Jumper Harness" looks like it's about 50 feet long. I have not yet installed the camera, TPMS module and harnesses onto the Momentum. I am wondering if anyone else has installed this system. If so, how was the harness routed? I think I'm going to bring it forward on the roof with duct tape and then bring it down the street side of the RV to connect to the forward harness on the underside of the frame. The pigtail from this forward harness plugs into the 7/12-way trailer connector that I installed in the bumper of my truck.

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPMS module and valve stem sensor.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	6089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera jumper harness.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	6090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forward harness.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	6091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer cam and mounting bracket.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	6092

Mick

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the same questions your pondering, though my Solitude and F350 aren't here yet...

Wolffox (aka Gary) sent me these links in an earlier thread. You'll see that one way the camera was run was down the ladder in the back of their 5th wheel. I'm also interested to know if the TPMS works inside of radial tires. I suspect the signal will be blocked, but won't know for sure until someone tries it and lets us all know.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...-tpms-kit.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...-and-tpms.html

Hope this helps.
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete

I'll look at those links in a minute. The installation instructions for this kit does add this note: "The TPMS sensors cannot be used on steel carcass tires." I do have steel-belted radials on my Momentum. I'm hoping that it works.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most ST and LT tires are not "steel carcass". They almost are all constructed with polyester side walls. It's difficult to find a steel carcass tire as they are usually limited to very high performance racing tires. You should be okay.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Jim, I'll let you know.

Mick

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan_M View Post
    Thanks, Jim, I'll let you know.

Mick
    I'm interested in this wire routing as well. My new 17 f350 came with the same system and I can't wait to install. I'm thinking run it under chassis and route wire through garage to overhead. But any suggestions and experiences are welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bud Leary
    2015 Momentum 380TH
    2017 F350 King Ranch Diesel
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Hitch
    Airlift Semi-Automatic Airbag System
    Yamaha Custom Electric Golf Cart with 6" Lift

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hooligan: Any update on your camera and tpms install ? I need to do mine and was hoping to get some pointers!
    Bud Leary
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bud -
    I had to give up on the trailer camera and TPMS. I couldn't find a decent way to connect the cable from my fifth wheel to the bumper of the F450. As the angle between the truck and the RV increases, you could need as much as 4 or 5 feet of slack for the connection. In my estimation, this kit is only usable on a travel trailer to the rear hitch, not a 5th wheel.
    I returned the kit to my Ford dealer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks. No extender available from ford ? My truck came with it so I doubt they would take it back as it was part of the sticker cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bud Leary
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan_M View Post
    Bud -
    I had to give up on the trailer camera and TPMS. I couldn't find a decent way to connect the cable from my fifth wheel to the bumper of the F450. As the angle between the truck and the RV increases, you could need as much as 4 or 5 feet of slack for the connection. In my estimation, this kit is only usable on a travel trailer to the rear hitch, not a 5th wheel.
    I returned the kit to my Ford dealer.
    I have a 2016 so i am not familiar with the setup or anything already on the truck. However, just thinking about it, couldnt you relocate the cable connection to inside the bed where the fifth wheel wire connector is located? I would imagine that would solve the issue of needing 4 - 5 ft of extra cable for slack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast