Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling 313, 315RLTS owners: Any GOOD news out there?

We have a 315RLTS on the way, should be here in a couple of weeks. I've been on this site reading all I can about Grand Design in general and the travel trailers in particular. I know that in general people post on forums to report issues far more often than to praise. I have learned of so many failures on The Reflection trailers I'm beginning to get cold feet. Roofing coming loose, holding tanks leaking, failing, even falling out. Few are happy with the entertainment systems, furnace issues, refrigerator issues, holding tank capacities not as advertised, failed axle seals causing brake failures, plastic suspension bushings worn out just from delivery mileage, leaky shower doors, bad mattresses..........

We purchased a 29ft Jayco Jayfeather in 2007. The only trip to the dealer was to repair damage done when the guy next to me at the storage lot hit my trailer. Yep, I've had to replace a few screws, tighten things down, fix a small plumbing leak. Everything else just normal maintenance. All systems operate as they should and have needed no attention except those damn tank sensors.

Granted, the Jayfeather doesn't have the amenities of the Reflection, but I want to retire and enjoy, not purchase an expensive project. I have the ability to back out of this purchase due to some B.S. the dealer pulled at time of purchase and am considering doing so.

Sooo.... I guess I need to be talked down from the ledge. I'm looking to hear from some 313 and 315RLTS owners to tell me the GOOD stuff, maybe even go so far as to express how trouble free their rigs have been. I know GD stands behind their product better than just about any one else in the industry, But I'm hoping not to have to deal with lots of repairs.

What say you folks? Tell me why you love your beautiful 31X RLTS, and they are beautiful rigs. That's why we bought one!

Kim and Sharon

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are only reading a small percentage of actual owner experiences.

All brands have issues, you just read about many of them because they don't have an awesome owners forum.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with above, you only hear the bad... we purchased in Feb 2016, did a few weekends over the Spring and Summer. had some minor issues including a leak at the vent in the roof. Grand Design and the dealer repaired all problems in a few days at the shop, including an interior roof panel.
    We moved into trailer full time in sept and the only issue is those damn tank sensors... we love our home and have no regrets
    yes, when you read the forums and facebook, it seems negative but there are more happy owners out there according to the sales figures.

We looked at a lot of brands, but kept coming back to the GD for quality of finish and great layout.
    2015 Chev Silverado 3500hd Duramax/Allison trans - Cruiserlift motorcycle loading system.
    2017 HD Road king 107ci
    2008 HD electra-glide classic
    2016 GD Reflection 313RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks! I realize people post far more often about their bad experiences vs their good ones. All good? No posting. Problem? Let it be known. I've been involved in many forums for other activities. I'm just looking to boost the "good" posts to help give me the warm fuzzies again. As an electrician and a pretty accomplished mechanic, there isn't much I can't fix on my own although I am getting a little long in the tooth to really heavy work. I expect to have some fairly minor issues to take care of. I am encouraged by the way GD stands behind their stuff and seems to be willing to ship parts directly to the owner. I really don't want to have my coach sitting at the dealership 80 miles away for weeks awaiting repair.

I can't wait to get my hands on 'er!!!

Happy Thanksgiving all!!!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will your new coach be 100% defect free. Not likely. Will the company that manufactures it stand behind it and make it right? Absolutely. Most of these coaches are made with the same supplier's parts and have the same problems. When you try to make a rig as light as possible and make a profit, sometimes things go wrong. The good thing about Grand Design is that they take owner's input and make changes to minimize the problems that future owners will experience. A good example of that is all new Grand Design units now come with automatic adjusting brakes. On our new 2017 Reflection trailer, we found a grand total of two minor things during the PDI. Unfortunately, I found the greasy brakes after I got it home. Grand Design and Lippert are working hard and investing big money to try and stop this. And if grease is found on the brakes, they will replace them "no questions asked". As for the nylon bushings, those are industry standards. Even though mine were worn through at less than 2,000 miles, the worst that would have happened for a few years is excessive noise from the suspension. If you're going to be paying $40K plus for one of these units, do yourself a favor and invest a little more for a top notch suspension and maybe even disc brakes.

When I lost my truck and trailer last summer, I could have picked any brand out there to replace it with. I've owned towables from Keystone, R-Vision, Skyline and Grand Design. There was no doubt in my mind that my replacement trailer was going to be a new Grand Design unit. The difference in features and quality from 2014 to 2017 are amazing. And I know I can trust customer service when something goes wrong.

Jim

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the models you asked about but our 318RST 5th wheel has only had one problem - leaking axle seals.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 313, yes a few small things and the grease on the brakes but it sure is a nice rig. The factory has sent the parts needed to repair all the problems except the brakes which I did myself. I would buy another tomorrow if I lost mine today.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been full timing out of our 315RLTS for about 3 months. First off, we LOVE it. Only issues so far have been the hot water heater stopped lighting automatically (electric still works) and the thermostat in the kitchen area is like 10 degrees off. GD just sent a replacement motherboard and sparker for the heater as well as a new thermostat for the interior. Great service, hands down. For us, that's literally it for our issues so far. I've climbed all over the roof, inspected behind the fire place and other cabinet areas, used every function many times, bring the awnings in and out all the time, and no other issues. You'll love your camper. Realize you'll no doubt have a few issues but GD has awesome customer service so you'll get it fixed pronto. That's just our experience since we picked up our camper three months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Libby
    2017 Reflection 315RLTS
    2016 Chevy 3500 Diesel SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Char&Matt View Post
    Agree with above, you only hear the bad... we purchased in Feb 2016, did a few weekends over the Spring and Summer. had some minor issues including a leak at the vent in the roof. Grand Design and the dealer repaired all problems in a few days at the shop, including an interior roof panel.
    We moved into trailer full time in sept and the only issue is those damn tank sensors... we love our home and have no regrets
    yes, when you read the forums and facebook, it seems negative but there are more happy owners out there according to the sales figures.

We looked at a lot of brands, but kept coming back to the GD for quality of finish and great layout.
    We've had our 379 for over two years, towed it close to 20,000 miles. Best RV I've owned in 40 years
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We traded our JayFeather 213x for a Reflection 30BH in July. The power tongue jack on our JayFeather failed the first time we went camping! Other than that the JayFeather was a very solid trailer. Before getting our Reflection we looked at a lot of 5th wheels, and Jayco was at the top of our list. Our local dealer did not have the Jayco model we wanted in stock, so we were about ready to order one, but on a whim we decided to go to one more dealer. Saw our first Grand Design units (never had heard of them), and loved both their quality and the floor plans. Bought our 30BH on the spot. We've had a vew minor issues, as almost everyone has, but nothing I couldn't fix myself with a little glue and some screws.

Our Reflection is the nicest, most comfortable trailer we've ever been in, or any of our friends have been in. We absolutely love it!

John
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast