User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solitude Awning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude Awning

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the awning on a 2017 Solitude 377mbs. We did not get any brochures on the awning in our packet of brochures. It was raining and one of the arms bent - is this normal? This is a new 5th wheel, first trip out.
    thanks for any help,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't verify because I'm not at the rig, but I think it's a Carefree (carefreeofcolorado.com).

They will bend if you let enough water pool in the awning (doesn't take that much, either...water is heavy). If it will be raining a lot I usually pull it in. I also see a lot of folks drop a corner lower than the rest so that the water can't pool up.
    2016 Solitude 377MB
    2016 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are Carefree models.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not able to find a model number or anything on my 2018 375RES awning however, from what I can tell it is a Carefree brand and I believe it is the Eclipse model.
    You can find documentation at http://carefreeofcolorado.com/products/eclipse.html and the link to the owners manual is http://carefreeofcolorado.com/docume...010-and-on.pdf
    It states you can have a 3 hole pitch difference from one side to the other and retract without damaging the awning or arms.
    I have mine set at a 1 hole difference and it seems to drain the rain effectively unless its a real down pour.
    Hope this helps.
    2018 Solitude 375RES
    Options; Generator & Slide Toppers
    2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Long Bed Diesel Dually
    Options; Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags, PullRite OE Series Ford Industry Standard Hitch Adapter & PullRite ISR Series SuperLite 20K Fifth Wheel Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The awning manufacturer is Carefree Awnings located in Colorado. I had the same problem. The left arm near the door bent badly. I think it would not have if I had a hold down system so I rigged an easy to attach spring line to hold the awning out. The awning arms are not very strong. We were at a campground in East Texas so I ordered a new arm on line and received it two day free shipping by Fed Ex. I borrowed a ladder from the camp host and had the arm changed out in about an hour.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previous 27 ft trailer had an automatic rain dump feature on the awning. My Solitude doesn’t. So in my search for what the heck awning do i have, (because yes, me too has no documentation in my GD document bundle.)
    Okay the 2017 solitude 377 has a carefree awning , model is a longitude. My 2019 solitude 375res also has the same awning. So it sounds like many of Solitudes have the carefree, Longitude awning.
    I found this info on granddesignrv.com, under owners support, service n warranty, parts lookup. Part #590452 .
    This is the image beside the part number. Now i’m not aware ‘if’ carefree renamed the Longitude, but from my digging around the Longitude was not referred to as another model name. Hopefully this will help someone else out in the frustration of ‘what the h@#$, is my awning model n make”. Cheers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDF9C2C2-3980-4A4D-9B9B-39002B1D8FFD.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	21466
    2019, Solitude 375RES
    2018, RAM 3500, Dually, Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, 4:10, AISIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are probably this one: https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...longitude.html

We discovered that the awnings are very fragile and should only be out while you are out. Had to replace two arm assemblies.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most automatic RV awnings are relatively flimsy and easily damaged by high winds or water weight. Our previous RV had the Carefree Eclipse which did have heavier hardware and was fairly sturdy as auto awnings go. The Longitude awnings on our Solitude are certainly made with lighter weight hardware. We have our RV parked in a fairly protected area so we can leave them deployed most of the time. I do have the arms set so they both pitch to one end so rain water will drain off easily.

My biggest gripe with these awnings is, unlike the Eclipse, they do not auto stop when deployed. If you hold that switch too long, they will not only overextend, but they will continue to roll up backwards. This is really an issue with our particular rig since Grand Design put the switches in a place that prevents you from easily watching the awnings as you extend them. I have to really stretch and peer out of a window to see the front awning and open the entry door to see the rear awning. Carefree offers a bluetooth module that will let you operate the awnings from your smart phone or from a remote control. Grand Design obviously chose not to include that option. They should have at least located the awning switches in a place that would let you see the awnings as you deploy them. The Solitude is promoted by Grand Design as an upper level rig for extended use. It is a shame that they cheaped out on this feature (and some others).

You can buy the BT-12 remote module on Amazon for about $82. You would need two if you have two awnings. I have considered getting those but the wiring looks a bit tricky.
    Last edited by KirbyRVA; 07-27-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '19 380 FL here with the Carefree awnings..... While I don't want to actually be the one to "test it" and find out that it doesn't work this way, both of my awnings have what look like shock absorbers in the arm assembly.
    I am pretty certain I was told by the dealer PDI rep that these shock absorbers will "release" when loaded with water weight and thereby dump the awning?
    2019 Solitude 380FL
    Parked in Fort Myers
    Our Winter Wonderland

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, if you have the Longitude awnings like mine there is no rain dump. Those gas struts are there to assist the motor to extend the awning. You can achieve rain shedding by adjusting the pitch on the arms, dropping on end lower than the other. However there can be no more than a three hole difference from one end to the other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast