User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matching the Cabinet Stain

Does anyone with a 2800BH happen to know the Minwax Stain colour or the equivalent for the cabinets? We are awaiting our new unit and want to build towel holders, etc. to match the cabinetry. Grand Design says "Espresso" but Minwax's "espresso" looks too light from what I can remember - perhaps more like "Jacobean" or "Ebony"?

Thanks ... Mark

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try contacting GD customer support at 574-825-9679 to see if they can tell you the brand and color of the finish they are using. Other option is to visit the dealer with stain samples in hand and compare to another unit that has cabinetry the same finish as the unit you have on order. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsele View Post
    Does anyone with a 2800BH happen to know the Minwax Stain colour or the equivalent for the cabinets? We are awaiting our new unit and want to build towel holders, etc. to match the cabinetry. Grand Design says "Espresso" but Minwax's "espresso" looks too light from what I can remember - perhaps more like "Jacobean" or "Ebony"?

Thanks ... Mark

I contacted Grand design and they can not help. Their colors are a special mix and they can not ship by the regular UPS FedEx of USPS.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many pieces of furniture today have a lacquer finish which is not a process of staining and varnishing. It is sprayed on in one step and impossible to duplicate. They can make any wood appear to be maple, walnut or anything they want simply by spraying on a finish. All you can do is stain it as close as possible, put on a few coats of varnish and use 0000 steel wool between coats.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update: I posted this question on the facebook Imagine group and number of people responded that they've used MinWax ebony stain followed by satin finish varnish (presumably poly) which is about as close as it gets. I'll give that a shot (when my unit arrives so I can see how close it really is). I want to build a number of rail/stile doors for various openings (e.g. above the toilet, and to utilize the cavity under the bottom bunk).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ahead and make me a set for above the toilet while you are at it. Our 2800BH comes off the line next week. We plan on using under the bottom bunk as a home for our dog so don't need anything there.
    '12 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew
    ’17 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous '13 Roo 21SS
    Previous ’98 Coleman Mesa
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    Nights
    Camped
    18 7 21 18 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CamperDude View Post
    Our 2800BH comes off the line next week. We plan on using under the bottom bunk as a home for our dog so don't need anything there.
    Ours supposedly came off the line this week! As for the spot under the bunk, I want to make it "convertible" so we can have two pull-out drawers when our (young adult) kids come with us and in the future the potential to use the spot as a cat litterbox area (when grandma can no longer look after the kitty when we're out camping).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you post pictures when you are done. Love to see what ideas people have and how they do it. Most of my good ideas come from others. lol
    ’17 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous '13 Roo 21SS
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    Nights
    Camped
    18 7 21 18 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Minwax Stain mix of 2/3 provincial and 1/3 Jocobean. Matched pretty close. I also built spice rack and some other mods using stiles from Grand Design. Went to Grand Design Parts web site to get part numbers, called my dealership to order. Had everything in a week. Cabinet doors, stiles. Everything I built with those parts looks like it came from the factory.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I didn't even know they had parts listed on their website. Good to know.

Don't forget to post pictures.
    ’17 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous '13 Roo 21SS
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    Nights
    Camped
    18 7 21 18 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast