Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering purchasing a new Solitude 377 MBS - questions tires windows heat pump

Hello! Been looking over the forum here and can't find anything specific to my questions.
    We are considering a new Solitude 377 MBS. We'd like to have dual pane windows but the carrying capacity is already low (in my opinion for comparable 16,000 GVW RVs) without them, and taking 500 pounds for the windows seems a luxury we can't afford. Though the specs say 2800 Carrying Capacity, actual on unit we're looking at is less than 2300. (And that's without dual pane windows, washer/dryer, etc.) We don't normally travel with more than 1/3 in our fresh water, maybe less, but our current unit has 1000 more pounds of GVW available. There seems to be plenty of room to store the stuff in question in a Solitude, but I am concerned with what we carry around we'll be overweight based on CCC available to start with (before we put one thing in).

We have Goodyear G614s on our current rig which are 110 PSI. The Solitude comes standard with E-rated Westlake Tires that are only 80 PSI. So if we want to upgrade to G rated tires, does that mean we have to upgrade the rims too? Or are the rims the Westlakes are on capable of accepting 110 PSI tires? There is usually a stamp on rims, but since we are doing this long distance, we haven't seen them in person. And what is the difference/advantages in having a G rated tire over an E?

We like the idea of a heat pump, since we are rarely in freezing weather - though that can always pop up now and again despite our best efforts. However, the majority of the time (in fall, winter and early spring), we may be in chilly, but not freezing weather on sites where we don't pay for electricity. So it seems to me ideal conditions for a heat pump. Minor cost difference but no "stock" units have this, so we'd have to order it to get it this way. Dealers say that the fireplace is meant to heat whole rig, etc. so that's why they don't order heat pumps. We have a fireplace which puts out a lot of heat in our current rig (though not to heat it if it's in the 40s), but we turn it off when we go to bed, and turn the propane furnace on. That results in a lot of propane over the life of the coach. Wondering if people have the heat pump, if they like it, and if they had to order it. If so, is it worth the wait?

Another factor when considering ordering is having it transported on salty roads sometime in January which from reading the forum if all the salt is not removed can cause long term damage and rust. So that is weighing in our calcuations too.

Any concern about ordering post-Winnebago than something built before the merger was complete?

Any other thoughts/suggestions/recommendations/points to ponder on a new Solitude purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Number one make sure you have enough truck, I bought the lightest Solitude 310GK and after loading up for weekend trip it weight in just 180 lbs under my trucks GVWR of my 2016 GMC 1 ton SRW.

I ask two people that worked at GD about the rims and one said they were the same rim and other said that why it cost 2,000.00 because it upgraded rim and tires. I think 2000 is little expensive but I ordered them anyway.

We have the heat pump and I think it's a great option. I've been in weather down to abut 45 degrees and heated the entire 5er and with the Coleman A/C/heat pump and it being the living room it's not loud at night.

We did pass on the dual pane windows also because of the weight but I never had them so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are other threads about the pros and cons of dual pane windows. I personally don't think they add 500lbs but others disagree. We ordered ours with dual pane windows to reduce condensation and noise. I'll do the same with our next rig.

A Grand Design rep told me the factory wheels are rated for 123psi and they don't give you different wheels when you order the G614 tires. Same wheels. As for the tires themselves, we switched to G614 tires the day we picked up our rig. Again, there are multiple threads about the factory Westlake tires. Many people feel they are fine. I didn't want to have to worry about one of the most important pieces of equipment on my rig failing so I went with what are considered to be the best tires - G614. Whether they actually are "the best" is up for debate but I never worry about my tires when towing and that's why I bought them.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Number one make sure you have enough truck, II bought the lightest Solitude 310GK and after loading up for weekend trip it weight in just 180 lbs under my trucks GVWR of my 2016 GMC 1 ton SRW.
    Yes, definitely aware of weights, which is why I am concerned about low cargo capacity (relatively). However, we do have GMC 3500 DRW so we are ok truck-wise. I'm more concerned about exceeding the trailer's GVW of 16,000. Thanks for the replies!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dual pane windows will give you 1 additional R value of insulation. My last GD rig had them, but we went without them on this one. So far so good. One thing I did notice was that the windows are MUCH easier to open on the new one due to their lighter weight.

As for the G614 tires. Why not check with your dealer and switch your current G614s for the Westlakes on your trade in? But as others have stated, the rims will easily handle the pressures of the G614 tires.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dual pane windows added almost exactly 500 lbs to our Momentum. We also have a heat pump and love it. We did order the unit with these options and more.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordering out usually takes 10-12 weeks. They are all made in Middlebury, Indiana which could have snow on the roads until April. A good wash of the undercarriage and you should be fine from salt debris. I wouldn't have any concern about post Winnebago merger. Production has stayed the same.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Krusen View Post
    Dual pane windows added almost exactly 500 lbs to our Momentum.
    I'm not questioning this statement but how do you know it added this much weight? I hear this number thrown around a lot but I've never heard how folks actually know how much the windows weight. Did you add dual pane windows after delivery and weigh the coach before and after installation?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little high on the windows alone.

Here are the factory weights from the vehicle weight sheet for our 2017 Momentum 376th.

Our unit has pretty much every factory option listed.

Including:
    Dual pane windows
    Slide awnings
    Generator
    3rd AC

Windows, AC & awnings added about 500 lbs to the weight compared to other units I looked at without them.

GVWR 20000
    GAWR 21000 (all axles)
    UVW 16552
    Hitch Weight 3712
    Left side weight 6734
    Right side weight 6106
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm not questioning this statement but how do you know it added this much weight? I hear this number thrown around a lot but I've never heard how folks actually know how much the windows weight. Did you add dual pane windows after delivery and weigh the coach before and after installation?
    I was told at Hersey RV show by the Grand Design Solitude Product Manager that dual pane windows add between 300 and 600 lbs to the Solitude line of 5th wheels. I was also told by the tour guide during my factory tour and I if I remember right he said for the 5th wheel lines they added between 200 and 600 lbs depending on floor plan.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast