User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RVLOCK installation report (and one question)

I ordered the RVLOCK model 4.0 entry set with keypad and remote(s) on a 40% Black Friday deal and got around to installing it today. It wasn't quite a straight-out swap, though. I had to use a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole in the edge of the door a bit where the latch bolts go through and two places in the fiberglass skin on the outside on the side opposite the latch bolts. A screwdriver made it easy to clear out some Styrofoam insulation that was too tight for the ever-so-slightly larger new unit. Once the lockset was physically installed, the mating of the remote fobs and programming of a new code for the keypad was extremely easy and straightforward. We got to test everything out when we made a grocery run this afternoon and, as my wife would say, "Very nice!"

Now, for my one question: the majority of the new lockset, including the outside and latch/deadbolt assembly is metal. The inside plate and latch handle (the one you pull on to open the door from the inside) are plastic. Has anyone with the RVLOCK sets experienced an issue with this? The (much) cheaper OEM lockset was all metal, so just wondering.

Thanks!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, sorry no experience with that lock set but any chance the old inside will work with the new outside?
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Rob, sorry no experience with that lock set but any chance the old inside will work with the new outside?
    No - both the inside and outside parts contain electronic components and are connected by a ribbon cable and snap connector. I don't think the screw holes and latch post would line up, anyway.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had ours on for over 2 years and zero issues. 1st year was full time use, now occasional use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had ours for about three months with no problems. Have not heard of any issues with the plastic parts, seems like everything now days is made of plastic.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too had to do some filing on the door to get the new lock in. Has been in over 30 days and have not experienced any problem with the inside door. I have not read on any of the reviews that the plastic inside mount was a problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed mine yesterday. My previous toy hauler had one and I was really missing the convenance of the keyless entry so I took advantage of the same black Friday sale. I thought I would have to trim the opening because the RVLock set would not fit but after a little wiggling I figured out if I insert it at a specific angle it will slide in and out just like the old lock set. I never had a problem with the RVLock in my previous toy hauler other then the battery does not last that long. They should place a small solar panel on the keypad with a AA rechargeable battery. I'm sure that would increase the cost. Just an idea.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed my RV Lock v4.0 this morning in my Imagine 2800BH. Went in fairly easy. Had to wiggle the main lock some too like Waterboy to get it in but it fit with no trimming. Programming was easy other than every code I wanted to use kept having a zero or 9 in it. Why did they have to leave that off the keypad? Oh well. I put a temporary code in that would work and then thought of a longer one after I left. I didn't bother programming the keyfob yet since it would just be sitting there.

One issue I have is with the strike plate. When I close the door I have to really push it for the main latch to engage. I can see where that will be an issue with my family. I checked the screws and it was already adjusted pretty much all the way over. Can't remember how much material was left by the screws but was thinking of enlarging the screw slot to push it over more. When I looked at the hole where the lock goes in it seemed to have a 90 degree bend in the metal so filing it didn't seem like a good idea. Any other suggestions? Does anybody know what brand they use for the locks so I could get another strike plate if I screw this one up?

Greg
    '12 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew
    ’17 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous '13 Roo 21SS
    Previous ’98 Coleman Mesa
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    Nights
    Camped
    18 7 21 18 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an recommendation for a new strike plate, but I used the one that came with the RV. The one that came with the kit wouldn't fit without some modifications.

I do have to say, both the latch bolt and deadbolt are too close to the outside handle causing the door to be hard to lock without pushing really hard. I'm actually thinking about going back to the standard lock. It almost looks like it's causing a warp in the door. Anyone else over come this?
    Paul & Uma
    2017 Solitude 369RL-R
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW CC 4x4
    B&W Companion
    2 Pups and their humans :cool:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we are talking about different parts. The plate that came with the RV Lock that goes on the edge of the door over the latch and deadbolt worked fine for me. That was the only plate I got. At least I think it was. The strike plate that I am talking about is the plate that is on the door jamb. Mine isn't off by much but when I looked at the screws they appeared to already be at the edge of the adjustment slot so I couldn't move it farther out.
    '12 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew
    ’17 Imagine 2800BH
    Previous '13 Roo 21SS
    Previous ’98 Coleman Mesa
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    Nights
    Camped
    18 7 21 18 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast