Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Appliances

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appliances

I bought a 2015 Reflection thinking that I was getting a quality fifth wheel but I have been having refrigerator and hot water heater issues. Atwater was bought by Dometic and they told me I should replace them with Dometic products which doesn't sound right. Does Grand Design use off brands for their appliances?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All MFG's use the same appliances. It's Atwood not Atwater. GD is not using off brands. What problems are you having with the fridge and hot water heater. Most appliances last for quite a few years before something quits working. and usually it's not major.
    Also check your warranty on those appliances. Some items in RV's are warranted for 2 years or more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Pat View Post
    I bought a 2015 Reflection thinking that I was getting a quality fifth wheel but I have been having refrigerator and hot water heater issues. Atwater was bought by Dometic and they told me I should replace them with Dometic products which doesn't sound right. Does Grand Design use off brands for their appliances?
    Do you know if it's appliance problems or propane problems?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Atwood. My last RV had Dometic appliances and they lasted for the 7 years I owned it. The I'm not technical and have to use a mobile repair service. My water heater needed a new therm cut off? and the refrigerator HE0801 still needs to be pulled out and the ? replaced. It's working on gas but the tanks didn't switch over and when the gas ran out, the ignition switch had to be ? The repair person said they have never seen or worked on this refrigerator before. He replaced the circuit board first.
    I'm the second owner and was told the warranty was not transferable.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second owner is warranty transferable through Grand Design.

Since it is a 2015, you are probably out of warranty anyway.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our refrig did the same and the problem was the "heater". It was a quick fix without removing the fridge.
    Milt

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pat - The Atwood refrigerator was supposed to be a "better" unit than the Dometic refrigerator. Unfortunately, they had a problem from the start with failure to work on 120V electric. The problem was the electric heating element was defective. It's a fairly simple fix to replace the heating element. The warranty for this item is through Atwood, and not GD. The refrigerator has a two year warranty. If you're still in that timeframe, give Atwood a call at 800-546-8759. The good news is that once the heating element is replaced, they tend to last a long time. It was a batch of bad elements from one of Atwood's suppliers in 2014 and 2015 that caused the problem.

Due to the recurrent failures that Atwood experienced, GD switched to a different refrigerator manufacturer in the mid 2015 model year.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Pat - The Atwood refrigerator was supposed to be a "better" unit than the Dometic refrigerator. Unfortunately, they had a problem from the start with failure to work on 120V electric. The problem was the electric heating element was defective. It's a fairly simple fix to replace the heating element. The warranty for this item is through Atwood, and not GD. The refrigerator has a two year warranty. If you're still in that timeframe, give Atwood a call at 800-546-8759. The good news is that once the heating element is replaced, they tend to last a long time. It was a batch of bad elements from one of Atwood's suppliers in 2014 and 2015 that caused the problem.

Due to the recurrent failures that Atwood experienced, GD switched to a different refrigerator manufacturer in the mid 2015 model year.

Jim
    Pat I had to have my heating Element part changed on my 2015 Reflection with the Atwood frig. My frig also died on propane. Dealer also fixed that problem at the same time. It's been 2 years since they changed it and frig works great. Colder than it ever was before breakdown. And my freezer keeps everything frozen!