Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

A message from our founders - Chris and Michaela

Hi all,
    I'm Chris Tretta from Rio Rancho, NM. We are new Solitude owners! I have owned a number of travel trailers starting with a TrailManor, a couple of 30 foot travel trailers, a tent trailer, a 34 foot WindJammer, and now our Solitude. I have been running the TrailManor Owners Pages since 1998 when I founded it. It is the leading site for TM information, and is the #1 sales site for TM trailers. My wife Michaela and I have 4 kids - our oldest is 20 and in the Navy (like dad), and is moving this weekend to Norfolk to join the crew of the USS Gerald R. Ford. The other 3 are 18, 16, and 12 - 3 boys and a girl.

We love to camp, and are looking forward to using this trailer often. We upgraded our tow vehicle to a 2013 Ram 3500 Cummins with the Aisin. We moved from a 2010 Tundra 5.7 that towed really well.

I am going to be looking for Moderators to help me with the forum, and am always interested in what you want different on the site. Currently we are running a freeware forum from Simple Machines. I have run this brand of forum for many years, and it works well. The TM site runs VBulletin. Depending on how this site works out, we may move it once it starts gaining members.

The board will be member supported. I don't do advertisements. I hate them on the forums that I visit and don't want to run a site like that. I don't do tracking cookies or anything like that. I charge $12 per year for full access to the forums which is what the TM members came up with in 2003 when we decided to charge. The way it works is that a new user gets 30 days of free trial to see if $12 is worth it to them. If it isn't, then their access drops and they'll have access to the general discussion and factory forums. The technical discussion areas will require member access. I will implement this soon.

I appreciate your participation! You're the early adopters to this board, and you get to help set the direction and the look and feel. Please feel free to suggest what you want.
    Thanks
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Greetings from the Admin - Chris and Michaela

Chris, thank you for putting this forum together. I have been a member of other forums that I have paid $20 to $30 a year and still had to put up with advertising. $12 a year is more than reasonable for full access to a site, especially without advertising.

I am looking forward to this site growing and being a great resource to all Grand Design owners.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12.00 is very reasonable, and thanks again for starting this site.
    I look forward to sharing information with other Solitude owners.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes $12.00 is fair for your time and expenses. Thanks for starting the forum and keep up the good work. Is there a way for us to discuss issues/suggestions with Grand Design on this forum. I guess what I'm asking is will Grand Design become a member. For us to learn from in an informal format. This not meant to be a bashing board for Grand Design, it can be a real plus.

I'm on another fishing forum and in the tech dept some people rant about this or that on a product. One manufacturer Humminbird "fishfinders" monitors post about their products and when they get an upset customer they usually reply within a couple of hours from a customer service rep with a name and number to call for help. Then the poster looks like a Dumb A.. and gets berated for a couple of pages by forum members because he didn't call them in the first place and Humminbird looks like a hero.

Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Funny you mention that! I have been working with the factory and have set up a Manufacturer's area where they will take input and answer questions. The manufacturer's reps all have the member group Manufacturer so you know they're real.

As an aside, I run a tight ship. I have run forums for over 15 years now, and I don't tolerate meanness, hack jobs, or any other personal attacks on individuals. If you come here with a gripe about how your frame is bent, you should be able to prove it. At the same time, this board is separate from the manufacturer so that we can be independent. I am all for the productive discussion of issues, the suggestions of others to help or answer questions, and a place for Grand Designs to get input and feedback and to help with member's questions.

I will update the terms and conditions to reflect this, but I will not tolerate the things I mention above period. My moderators (once you step up!) will be given full discretion UNLESS I find that they are part of the problem...(yes, I have had that happen).

We have the opportunity to have the premier resource for Grand Designs trailers on the WWW. You are all going to be a part of that. I love the community that we have developed so far, and I look forward to many years with all of you.
    Thanks!
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds great Chris. I'm right there with you. Camping is fun and participation on this board should be too.
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[quote author=el Rojo link=topic=10.msg77#msg77 date=1379071858]
    Camping is fun and participation on this board should be too.
    [/quote]

X 2 el Rojo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris & Michaela,

Thanks for getting this forum started. We are looking forward to hearing what others have to say and how they like their Solitudes, Reflections, etc.

We started camping a little over a year ago in a 2006 Fleetwood Excursion MH. We really enjoyed the MH (especially the ride) but the space in a fifth wheel is just sooo much bigger, so we switched. We figured since we love camping, we might as well have the most comfy! We have only been out twice and and look forward to many more trips. We will be retiring in a couple of years and plan to go, go, go! Unfortunately, we do have a long list of "warranty repairs for the dealer. The dealer seems eager to please so I'm hoping there won't be a problem when we take it in for the repairs.

We live in California and haven't seen another Solitude on the road, but definitely look foward to crossing paths with another GD owner.

Thanks again for the forum! $12 will work fine for us.
    Jeff & Cathy
    Jeff & Cathy K - Dayton, NV
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 384GK #TBD
    2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD 4x4 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard Jeff and Cathy! Glad you like your new Solitude. I'm sure the dealer won't have any problems fine tuning your rig.
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[quote author=Jeff K link=topic=10.msg81#msg81 date=1379089770]
    We live in California and haven't seen another Solitude on the road, but definitely look foward to crossing paths with another GD owner.
    [/quote]

Welcome to the forum Jeff and Cathy.

I know what you mean about not seeing another Solitude on the road. I was the first person in the State of Georgia to register a Solitude with the state's DMV. After I showed the paper work to the young lady, she took forever on the computer trying to input the information. She finally gave up and asked me to come back the next day because the DMV had no idea what a Solitude was or who Grand Design is. I returned the next day and the DMV had all the information they needed to register my Solitude.

Steve and Cill

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast