Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frame Quality

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    Although I am not an expert on welding, I believe that Lippert does take shortcuts on many components to maximize profits.
    This is pretty much standard in all products... They don't make them like they use too and everything has gone down hill.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the short cuts that rv manufacturers take is not adding gussets to the frame at the location above the spring hanger. If the frame H Beam is heavy enough through the cross section of the web it might not be noticeable. The long term problem that gussets prevent is the spring hanger flexing side to side and then cracking the web of the frame or causing the lower flange to crack and or break. I have had all of the above happen on my Holiday Rambler Alumascape and yes I repaired the cracks. In order to prevent re-occurance a stiffener need to be added to keep the frame from flexing. Artic Foxes have the stiffeners added to the frame at the spring hanger locations. This isn't a cost prohibitive process, it probably adds less than 10.00 per gusset including labor to install. The gusset welds to the lower flange, the web of the beam and the upper flange and keeps the frame from being able to flex from side loads from the suspension. It is basically structural steel 101. It wouldn't be hard to add the gussets as long as nothing is attached to the inside of the frame that could catch fire from the heat of welding.

On another note for keeping heat in the enclosed belly area. The frame is a huge heat sink that will rob heat from the furnace because the steel is directly exposed to the cold air. On my current 5er I cut 2 inch blue dow corning rigid insulation and filled in all the areas of the frame I could access to help with heat loss. Pretty easy to do and very little weight or cost. My preferred method would be to apply spray foam to the outside of the frame after I add gussets if needed.

I should add that I am not the normal consumer, I add heavy duty trailer hitches to the rear of my 5er's, my current 5er has a platform that I fabricated that holds a 5500 watt Onan Quiet diesel generator that weighs about 400 lbs. I routinely hook up a 2500 lb boat or a 5000 lb horse trailer too, so I tend to push the limits.

I looked at the frame on a Heartland Big Horn and they add a small piece of flat steel horizontally welded to the bottom flange and also to the web of the frame at a 45 degree angle. Better than nothing, but still a short cut.

Hopefully I get to have my first look at a Solitude tomorrow.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    We have a Reflection with a lighter frame than the Solitudes but it was plenty strong enough to get us from Calif. to Worland, WY and back with no problems. BTW, I have to say that some of the nicest folks we met on our 5K mile trip we met in Worland.
    Worland people are great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kendive View Post
    This is pretty much standard in all products... They don't make them like they use too and everything has gone down hill.
    Some shortcuts are actually better. Robot welding does a uniform weld. I think all welds are inspected by inspectors
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Chuckles
    Lippert frames are weak, and that's why they need 6 levelers instead of 4. The frame will twist! Arctic Fox makes their own frames, and I would not buy again a RV with Lippert frame OR brakes! They just do not last. People who weld, know!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I've been a member of this forum (and the Facebook owner's page) since early 2014. In that time, I've seen very few issues pop up related to the frame. Probably the number one problem I've seen is rust on the frame for folks who drove their rigs on salty roads.

Jim
    I would echo what TucsonJim notes . . . I do not recall there ever being an observation or comment on this forum about a broken or cracked frame.

LCI does add reinforcements above the spring hangers, but these are pieces of flat bar at 45 degrees, so just move the flex point further up the centre web of the I beam. The attached picture is from an earlier discussion when GDRV was just beginning to add the 2" square tube spacer to the smaller Reflections to gain trailer ride height, but shows the original reinforcements to the lower frame flange.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0525.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 10 cents on the Reflection frame is how soft it is compared to the prior trailer (2001 Tahoe by Thor). The Thor product would burn up bits when attempting to attach anything to it. The GD product was very easy to add, shocks, JT Strong Arms and disc Brakes utilizing the same bits throughout.

I'm not sure if one is better or worse over the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to have my first in person inspection of a Solitude 5er today. The model was a 30GK and I really liked it. Frame bracing are exactly as shown above, not the best, but better than nothing. I was not overly crazy about the antique white center island, but it's not a deal breaker. The sales man told me they have the unit listed at 69k. I promptly told him I have a written offer from Blue Dog RV as part of the Costco vehicle buying program for 58,159.00 for a 2017 310gk. He said well, put in an offer. The game I hate to play. I will let my wife do that and watch them cry, LOL. Hopefully I can bring my wife to look at the 5er at the end of the week. I think my mind is made up though and a big part of it is based of what I have heard about good customer service. Some of the lack of customer service concerns I have read about Montana's makes me shy away. I did think I wanted an artic fox, but I don't get the warm fuzzy's about their layout and after watching a video showing construction, it appears that they frame under the flooring with wood, not aluminum.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I got to have my first in person inspection of a Solitude 5er today. The model was a 30GK and I really liked it. Frame bracing are exactly as shown above, not the best, but better than nothing. I was not overly crazy about the antique white center island, but it's not a deal breaker. The sales man told me they have the unit listed at 69k. I promptly told him I have a written offer from Blue Dog RV as part of the Costco vehicle buying program for 58,159.00 for a 2017 310gk. He said well, put in an offer. The game I hate to play. I will let my wife do that and watch them cry, LOL. Hopefully I can bring my wife to look at the 5er at the end of the week. I think my mind is made up though and a big part of it is based of what I have heard about good customer service. Some of the lack of customer service concerns I have read about Montana's makes me shy away. I did think I wanted an artic fox, but I don't get the warm fuzzy's about their layout and after watching a video showing construction, it appears that they frame under the flooring with wood, not aluminum.
    If you saw the white interior, it is an older 2017 model.

The newest generation have the multi color front cap with all matching wood inside.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CManley View Post
    My 10 cents on the Reflection frame is how soft it is compared to the prior trailer (2001 Tahoe by Thor). The Thor product would burn up bits when attempting to attach anything to it. The GD product was very easy to add, shocks, JT Strong Arms and disc Brakes utilizing the same bits throughout.

I'm not sure if one is better or worse over the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap Lippert Chinese steel. My previous SOB TT had 4400lb Lippert axles under it. I needed to get them straightened. The guy doing the bending said the axle material was kinda soft. He added a little extra camber to them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast