Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frame Quality

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    If you saw the white interior, it is an older 2017 model.

The newest generation have the multi color front cap with all matching wood inside.
    Good to know!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Cheap Lippert Chinese steel. My previous SOB TT had 4400lb Lippert axles under it. I needed to get them straightened. The guy doing the bending said the axle material was kinda soft. He added a little extra camber to them.
    The solitude I looked at yesterday actually had made in US stamped on the frame rails!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days I think it if fairly common for components and/or the end product to be made/stamped "made in the USA" but the steel or other materials were imported from China or other countries. My P/U was made in USA but the list of parts/pieces/materials imported was probably longer than the assembly line it was built on in Flint, Michigan !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in construction for 30 years and being around steel structures I always figured that the country of origin was stamped on the steel. China, USA, Japan, etc. I would think that the only made in USA sticker would be the Lippert frame sticker.
    With that being said, kudos to Grand Design for using USA steel if in fact they are.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ducks--with your experience and knowledge, I suspect you are right on with the LCI RV frames being built with American steel. I do not recall seeing anything anywhere definitively stating what LCI RV frames are built with. Yes, the question has been asked many times on several sites all over the net but not answered. You would think that LCI would tout built using American steel on their website as a business strength but they must be (or think they are) "global" enough that stating this is not important. Thanks for sharing your expertise !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect that LCI doesn't mention where their components are made because this will change continuously based on availability. My brake drums have both LCI and Made in USA cast into them. I have seen other OEM drums that say LCI but do not say Made in USA. I recall that some with grease on their brakes have discovered that their OEM grease seals were labeled Dexter. The supply base is obviously a very dynamic thing.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Chuckles
    My brakes proudly say"Made In China" I wanted to send the photo but could not figure that out.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Being in construction for 30 years and being around steel structures I always figured that the country of origin was stamped on the steel. China, USA, Japan, etc. I would think that the only made in USA sticker would be the Lippert frame sticker.
    With that being said, kudos to Grand Design for using USA steel if in fact they are.
    I was a steel erector and fabricator for many years and the steel beam has made in the USA imprinted on the web of the frame rail, actually surprised me, but I am glad.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will take my wife this Friday to have another look at the Solitude. I might bring a pair of calipers to measure the flange thickness on the frame and compare to the Artic Fox.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my wife really likes the 30gk. Now I just have to figure out if the 2700 dry pin weight is going to be a problem or not. I just got in some extra heavy duty leaf springs for the rear of my truck to take some of the load off of my air bags. Maybe I will get ambitious and install them this weekend, that is if the u bolts showed up today.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast