Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame Quality

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frame Quality

Can anyone tell me what their perceived view is on the frame quality on the Solitude. Are there stiffeners welded in above the spring perches? I need to have a first hand look to inspect the workmanship, and with 30 years experience as a welder, I am critical of structural quality. Hopefully I like what I see.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like you said, you need to see it in person to determine if you like what you see.

No one else here will know....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is my plan to visit a Grand Design Dealer today and take my first in person look. There are no dealers close to me, but this one is only 170 miles away.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I am not an expert on welding, I believe that Lippert does take shortcuts on many components to maximize profits. The brake issue is a prime example. I have done some frame work, mainly reinforcing a class three hitch to the frame to handle a small motorcycle. In my observations, it appears that some of the welds are not as good as they should be. I would be interested in reading what your, Nuffsaid, impression of the quality is. Due to the fact that I already own a unit, I will make the best of what I have, while keeping a close eye on the numerous stress points.

Gordo Fuchs

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been a member of this forum (and the Facebook owner's page) since early 2014. In that time, I've seen very few issues pop up related to the frame. Probably the number one problem I've seen is rust on the frame for folks who drove their rigs on salty roads.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Jim said frame issues are few and far between.

As a guy who has a reputation for building brick outhouses (over engineered and overbuilt) I've been impressed with the size of the frame. Yes some welds may be a little sloppy, but not worrisome.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire belly is covered so you not going to see much at the dealers. I took a factory tour and saw the frames come in the door and thought all stages of build. I wish GD would allow cameras so you get pictures to share. I asked to take a picture of a 321RL frame with tanks, wiring and plumbing for my own reference and was told no.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    The entire belly is covered so you not going to see much at the dealers. I took a factory tour and saw the frames come in the door and thought all stages of build. I wish GD would allow cameras so you get pictures to share. I asked to take a picture of a 321RL frame with tanks, wiring and plumbing for my own reference and was told no.
    Reinforcement should come in the form of a piece of angle iron welded vertically on the web if the I beam above each spring hanger as well as the equalizer. It should be visible from the outside of the frame. That's the way I've seen it done on 99% of the frames I look at.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Reflection with a lighter frame than the Solitudes but it was plenty strong enough to get us from Calif. to Worland, WY and back with no problems. BTW, I have to say that some of the nicest folks we met on our 5K mile trip we met in Worland.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Reinforcement should come in the form of a piece of angle iron welded vertically on the web if the I beam above each spring hanger as well as the equalizer. It should be visible from the outside of the frame. That's the way I've seen it done on 99% of the frames I look at.
    Here is a picture of the spring hanger/equalizer parts from my Reflection:

Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast