User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radiant Barrier vs Foam board for DIY Skirting to help prevent freezing

I recently purchased a 2017 Reflection with the Artic package just to learn... That package isn't really to prevent freezing!!!! Living in Texas it rarely gets below 20 something but want to try and protect my coach from the fast approaching winter. Anyone have any ideas? Was thinking of using Radiant barrier around the edges with a vinyl overlay that is secured with Velcro to the coach and space heaters underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Anrobe79; 12-29-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you living in it or is it parked?

If it is parked, it would be better to just winterize. I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon's west side. It doesn't get down below freezing very often. I will winterize when I know the weather is going to get cold. It costs too much to keep the heat on.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Are you living in it or is it parked?

If it is parked, it would be better to just winterize. I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon's west side. It doesn't get down below freezing very often. I will winterize when I know the weather is going to get cold. It costs too much to keep the heat on.
    I am living in it full time so winterizing isn't ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anrobe79,

I’m not sure which would be better, I’m doing the same thinking as you, but if you check out YouTube, search for “skirting an rv” and also “living in an rv during the winter” you will get all kinds of ideas and different ways of doing it, from using Foam Board to using other stuff. From what I’ve gathered so far, using the foam is cheapest, but will vary from the thickness of the foam you use, around $300 to $400. Foam board is also paintable; using a latex pain and roller one could almost match the color of the rv. Other ways is using a vinyl type fabric, which is way more expensive. There are custom skirting using vinyl type fabric, costing several thousand dollars to the vinyl type fabric DIY kits costing around a thousand dollars. One down side of using the foam, is if you decide later to move the rv, then moving the foam may become a little problem. As I said, I haven’t done skirting yet, as I’m down in Greenville, South Carolina currently where the temperature is about the same and haven’t had any problems and don’t need it, but I’m thinking of taking a contract position up in Wisconsin, then I will do skirting. I have however, put up plastic wrap around most of my windows, I got 2 kits at Walmart for something around $10.00 a box, I got the kit for 2 big patio doors and cut to the size I needed, everything comes in the kit. I can tell a difference in cycle time of my heater coming on and off. I also put a heat tape on my hose and put some hose insulation over and keep it plugged in. I have the 2015 Reflection 337rls with the same package as you. I live in the rv during the weekdays and commute back to home on the weekends, before my commute, I turn off the water at the pedestal, set the heater to 45 degree and go, so far I haven’t had any problems. I hope this helps. Good Luck