User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Configuration Control

Was gonna post this in the Reflection 5er sub-forum but it possibly cuts across all the various GD products.

Background: Not too long ago, we noticed the finish on our island cabinet doors flaking off. When our 337 was in for some warranty stuff, I had them look at it and they said that they'd order me new doors - which they did. Not to hold my RV up they dropped shipped them to my house. The stealer also sent the hardware off of my old doors.

So I go out to the shop to unpack the new doors and installed them and I see that the new doors are prepped for hidden hinges. Ruh Rho....my old doors were installed with old timey exposed hinges. It looks like Grand Design did a design change in mid production that did away with old timey exposed hinges and implemented new fangled hidden hinges like what’s in a bazillon home cabinets. So my issue is because the old hardware hinges were not hidden, there’s screw holes in the face frame of the cabinet that would be exposed if I installed these new doors with the proper hinges. I think there’s two options: Grand Design replaces the entire island cabinet with their new & improved design or they make a set of doors with provisions for the old timey hinges. So that's that.....we'll see how it turns out.

BUT......

I hope that GD employs some sort of configuration control (of which I spent a good deal of my life involved with) whereby they can send the correct part(s) to a customer based upon serial number. All manufacturers make design improvements during the life cycle of a certain product and that's not a concern. My concern would be that they couldn't pin point when that design change took effect and on what product. Maybe it's an occupational thing, but in the aircraft bizness we had to adhere to strict configuration control requirements not for just spare parts, but in case there was some part failure or other issue with aircraft in the fleet.

So what's the point of this post Tom?? Well.....I'm not sure. It's obvious that I'm talking to myself now. Maybe I posted this 'cause of the sinus medicine has got me kinda wacho and I don't have anything else to do other than coughing, aching, runny nose.

Tom

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dealer should've caught it. I went thru the same thing 6 years ago with a SOB TT. The dinette had a small split where the table top wood was glued together. The dealer ordered a new table and pedestal. 3 weeks latter in comes the new table. Wrong style. Dealer now decides to call and send pic of table with 2nd order. 3 weeks latter new table comes in. Different pedestal and color. WT?
    Dealer orders a 3rd time. This time the table top is right but the pedestal is wrong. The 3rd pedestal is a nicer upgrade so we agree to end all this and they give me the nicer table.
    At some point during the build time for our TT they switched table MFG's.
    But I would say your dealer should've dbl checked when ordered.