Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How far do you drive a day?

Happy New Year!

We pick up our new 5er in a couple of months, and are excited about hittin' the road soon. We still work, so our time off is limited to a few weeks each until we retire.

My question is this, how far should we plan to travel in a day when we're just trying to get from point A to point B?

We share the driving, and typically plan an occasional 10-12 hour day mixed with shorter days when vacationing by car, so we're not adverse to burning some miles when we have to. I understand that we'll be driving slower, but will we tire out faster towing the 5er? Is a 650 mile day realistic or is that too much to expect?
    Danny & Terri Austin TX
    2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC LWB 4x4 Duramax SRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get up early and travel 400 to 450 the first day since the 5er in the driveway ready to go and each day after that we limit our days to 350 miles or less. We don't like arriving at lay overs at night and don't leave until 8 to 9 in the morning.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now that we're retired, we try to keep it to around 250-300 miles in a day. But there are times when I'm trying to get some serious miles in. I've towed 800 miles in a day, but that is excessive. A good rule of thumb is to follow a truck driver's rules. They are allowed to drive 11 hours which must be followed by a 10 hour break.

Jim

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we're statistical outliers. Being retired and full-timers, we're in no particular hurry. We have a max of about 200 miles a day - but try to keep it below that. We have a knack for turning a 3-hour trip into five... you know the routine: get a good night's sleep, coffee and breakfast, wash the dishes and finish packing up, pull in the slides and hitch up. We're usually on the road by 9:30 or so and like to be settled in for the next night with several hours of daylight left. What stretches our travel time out are the stops for senior coffees and then the stops to get rid of them. When we stop in a Walmart parking lot to fix lunch, for some reason we can't resist going in and picking up those few things on our list. Oh, well. Later this week we have 670 miles to cover to get to semi-annual medical and dental appointments. Some may drive that distance in one day, others in two. We'll take three days of driving and spend two nights visiting my mother-in-law on the way. Our max has been 320 miles in a day - but we didn't like it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the only driver and my limit is around 500-600 miles a day. If we shared driving, we could obviously go much further if we chose to. We cruise at around 63mph. Between the power of the truck and our air bag hitch/MORryde pinbox, I don't find towing stressful at all. Very comfortable ride and effortless towing up and down hills.

Now driving through the LA area with the traffic, endless construction and horrible sections of roads is stressful regardless off how many miles we've been driving when we get to that area.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like doing more than 400 miles towing. We kind of practice two days driving followed by a day of rest, unless the 3rd day gets us to our final destination. Time driving is also a factor. On Dec 30th we had an aggressive day planned to go from Caryville TN to Tifton GA, all I-75. Barely south of Knoxville the freeway was closed due to a rollover accident. The detour cost us an extra 25 miles and 40 minutes. Then getting close to Atlanta there were car accidents, lane closures, construction areas, 6 lanes of expressway traveling at 25 mph. The 285 bypass was horrible. By evening we'd only made it to Cordele GA and ended up setting up after dark. 9 hrs 40 minutes on the road at an average speed of 43 mph. So, when planning to drive a certain distance keep in mind there are other factors at play.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like we are pretty typical. We like take our time on the morning and leave around 9 or 10. I like to get to the next park around 3 or 4...5 at the latest so we have plenty of daylight to set up. I have enough fuel to travel at least 600 miles so we can search around and find the cheapest fuel at each destination without worrying about pulling the trailer. We have left early from home and traveled 10 to 11 hours, but I don't like to. Since I've developed some back problems 5 hrs is about my limit. We usually stop at roadside park or truck stop for lunch and take a rest. I'd say do whatever suits your needs and abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think our biggest day ever was 800 miles. That was a bunch of years ago. Now we try not to go more than we have fuel for...about 700 miles. We do stop and stretch our legs about every 100 miles.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel between 200 and 300 miles a day. Seldom start before 1000 and stop around 1500. We try to avoid school busses
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    I don't like doing more than 400 miles towing. We kind of practice two days driving followed by a day of rest, unless the 3rd day gets us to our final destination. Time driving is also a factor. On Dec 30th we had an aggressive day planned to go from Caryville TN to Tifton GA, all I-75. Barely south of Knoxville the freeway was closed due to a rollover accident. The detour cost us an extra 25 miles and 40 minutes. Then getting close to Atlanta there were car accidents, lane closures, construction areas, 6 lanes of expressway traveling at 25 mph. The 285 bypass was horrible. By evening we'd only made it to Cordele GA and ended up setting up after dark. 9 hrs 40 minutes on the road at an average speed of 43 mph. So, when planning to drive a certain distance keep in mind there are other factors at play.
    Atlanta is one of those places to avoid from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and after 2:00 p.m. Doesn't hurt to spend the night outside of town, get up very, very early and go through town before daybreak. Or, judge your pace and come through after 8:00 p.m. Many other big cities are the same way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast