User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    rockytop

Prospective Owners of Solitude 369 RL

Hello All,

My wife and I plan to upgrade from travel trailer to 5th wheel early 2014 and spend the first year in it full time while we sell our home in TN and buy in WNC. The 369 RL has been high on our list for our new RV and after visiting a dealership last week, it's definitely the front runner. It's the first 5th wheel we've been in that our expectations for the floor plan and build we're met.

As we continue to consider our purchase, I wanted to join the owners forum and ask a few questions to those if you already enjoying the Solitude. A main concern of mine is the weight capacity of our tow vehicle. We have a 2013 Ford F350, 6.7L diesel 4x4 SRW. It has a a GVWR of 11,500. I can see that some of you are driving similar trucks. I'm curious if any of you have had your rigs weighed and how your truck handles the weight. Also, what kind of rear squat do you experience? Based on keeping out cargo under 1,300 pounds, full propane, and no water, it's going to be close, but under all truck ratings.

This discussion us probably better suited for the Tow Vehical thread, but I wanted to at least say hello first!

Thanks for any and all replys.

RT

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Prospective Owners of Solitude 369 RL

Welcome to the Forum rockytop.

You and I have basically the same truck, mine is a 2012. The wife and I love our Solitude 369RL and our truck tows it without a problem. As far as squat, maybe 2 to 3 inches at the most.

I weighed our rig on our first trip and I was over on the truck's GVWR by 120lbs. I did not exceed the Max axle weight of 7000lbs or the combined GVRW of 23,500lbs. Here are the weights: Steer Axle - 5000lbs Drive Axle - 6620lbs Trailer Axle - 10,920lbs and Gross Weight - 22,540lbs.

Like I said, this was our first trip and we packed way more than we ever needed. Every trip we have learned what we need and don't need. I havent weighed our rig since the first trip, but I know without a doubt that we have decreased the weight by over 300lbs. The majority of that weight from the front baggage/storage compartment and what we carried in the truck.

When not towing the Solitude, we average between 15 & 17mpg. Towing, we are averaging 12mpg. We are very pleased and happy with our set up.

Steve and Cill

rockytop

Thanks for the weight info. That's all good to hear. I forgot to ask about the need for a slider hitch. We have the crew cab regular bed, not the 8, and I'm unsure if the front cap design on the 369rl will allow tighter turns. I'd prefer not to have to go that route.

Also, I understand the Grand Design business plan is a little different than other manufacturers. I've heard where service agreements might be nationwide and not just specifically with the dealer where purchases. And, deep internet pricing will be restricted. How does that effect dealer discount off of MSRP? Are dealers not able to come of ticket price as much?

Sorry, I know I have a lot of questions, but Grand Design is so new, there is not as much info readily available.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

rockytop, our trucks are just alike. I didn't want to take any chances with the front cap contacting the cab of the truck so I went with the Pullrite Superglide. Now I don't think about it when making a sharp turn.

About the pricing; when we bought our Solitude, our dealer had only two, #1 and #96. This was in April and the Company was trying to get their product out to the public. Our dealer had special pricing on the two they had so to get them noticed. We were in the market for a Keystone Cougar and had never heard of Grand Design. We just happened to see the Solitude the day we were there to look at the Cougar. When we saw the price, the design, and the quality of the Solitude, we quickly changed our minds. I'm not saying anything bad against the Cougar, but it is a weekender and the Solitude is a full-timer. We payed more for the Solitude, but for the price we got two to three times more camper.

Maybe someone who has bought recently can join in with their take on pricing.

wschoonv

This is my first post. We bought #71 a few months ago and are taking delivery from dealer storage next weekend. Looking forward to first trip.

We saw the Solitude at a show and knew it was the one, despite Grand Design's new status. Never saw another that we liked better. Tow with a F350 PSD 4x4 SRW...may have to watch the weight a bit but we are not overly concerned. The amenities on the 369RL are first-rate. WE have the "pre-production" version with a few extra bells and whistles not on production models, and are very happy...otherwise, we have it loaded with everything they offer. It will be a full-time status for us.

Good luck...we got it about 15% discount from manufacturer list.

rockytop

I agree, it's hard to look away once you tour a Solitude. I know RV companies use glamor shots with wide angle lenses to promote their product and you can't expect the acutal thing to live up to the brochure/web, but we felt that Grand Design met or exceeded our expectations for build, finish, and floorplan.

It's a little more lofty in price and weight than the Heartland models we were looking at, and the "new" company factor is in the back of my mind concerning warranty work, but it would be hard to turn our attention away from the 369 RL now.

The Reflection that has just come out will be a little small for us I believe, but we are going to look at one when we can.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all Welcome Rockytop. We pull our 369RL with 2010 F-350 DRW 6.4. We have plenty of power but do not get the mileage of the 6.7. Our truck is also set up for a truck camper and thus has air bags on the rear axle. I don't see much squat without air in the bags, but it seems with 30 to 40 lbs of air we lose some of the jerkiness. Our air bags are the Firestone brand with an on board air pump. This lets us add air while driving. I think we paid about $350 installed. Might be an option for some people.

I'm a former MH er (20 yrs) and this is my first FW. I'm wondering if the trailaire "inflatable" hitch pin would be nicer than the rotoflex that comes on the Solitude?

Red

Keep us posted Rockytop and hope you join the family.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome wschoonv! Welcome to the family. Let us know how your maiden trip goes. Seems like all of us are real pleased with our rigs.
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

rockytop

El Rojo, I have considered the Reese Airborne Premium pin box which has a tuned air shock and pivot point for up to 90 degree turns. That would allow for a standard non slide hitch in the bed. I'm still reading up on that set up. My concerns now are the fact the Airborne is only rated for 16k. I estimate we will travel with around 14.5 k, but I'm not sure if I need to allow for some more headroom. I also need to make sure I'm not voiding any warranty from Grand Design with this setup.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since I'm new to FW's I'm not familiar with the reece hitch you're talking about. My dealer set me up with a B&W companion hitch mainly because with the truck camper I have to have an empty bed. It was $2100.00 installed, but reading on other forums it's one of the better hitches. I wish I could tell you more about the reece.

Red
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually