Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Long Road Trip Help Needed!!

Need some advice!! We are going on our first long road trip. Early April leaving San Francisco CA with key destinations of Austin TX, Tampa FL, Nashville, Charlotte NC (catching two weekends of NASCAR), Philadelphia, maybe Connecticut and Port Clinton Ohio. Returning via Sand Dunes Park in Indiana on Lake Michigan and the rest is up in the air!

We are planning on 350 to 500 miles max. Both retired so just want to be back by end of July or early August.

Looking for other stops along the way worth spending a few days plus recommendations for campgrounds. All ideas and thoughts welcome! Wish we could meet up with everyone at January rally but our trailer will be in the the shop for a generator/solar so we are really for our adventure!

Thanks in advance,
    Craig, Diane and the RatPack
    2017 369RL, 2016 F-350 4x4 Lariat 6.7psd srw lb. 2003 Seasport Sportsman 22ft offshore boat. 3 adorable ( most of the time ) Rat Terriers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's not the destination that makes the trip interesting but the opportunity to see this great country. We travel a couple hundred miles, stop and spend a day or two site seeing. Personally I try to avoid most "Tourist stops"
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Advice from LC, better to take smaller bites and enjoy the meal than big bites and miss all the flavors.

You can take Hwy 2 from Duluth and go West, takes you thru Glacier National Park. When you drop south you can
    spend a couple days along the Washington/Oregon border along the Columbia River.
    Seth and Becca
    2016 RAM Longhorn 3500 DRW "Brown Beast"
    2017 Momentum 376TH "Tajmahauler"
    2007 Road King "The Girlfriend"

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psdelejw5x.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are heading to Texas, the Oklahoma City memorial is worth a stop over. Watch the weather for thunder storms and tornados. We had to move along quickly a time or two trying to stay out of their path.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great trip! In between Nashville and Charlotte you can hit Anchor Down in Dandridge, TN. Beautiful camp just 15 minutes from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge attractions.
    Also Cherry Hill park in College Park, MD. Great camp with easy access via Metro subway to all of Washington D.C.
    Hope these help, have fun!!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great trip. If you can pass through Chattanooga while in Tennessee you may want to consider making time for the National Military Parks at Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga. Both were sites of pivotal battles during the Civil War. Chattanooga waterfront area also very nice. Travel safely!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RattieTude View Post
    Need some advice!! We are going on our first long road trip. Early April leaving San Francisco CA with key destinations of Austin TX, Tampa FL, Nashville, Charlotte NC (catching two weekends of NASCAR), Philadelphia, maybe Connecticut and Port Clinton Ohio. Returning via Sand Dunes Park in Indiana on Lake Michigan and the rest is up in the air!

We are planning on 350 to 500 miles max. Both retired so just want to be back by end of July or early August.

Looking for other stops along the way worth spending a few days plus recommendations for campgrounds. All ideas and thoughts welcome! Wish we could meet up with everyone at January rally but our trailer will be in the the shop for a generator/solar so we are really for our adventure!

Thanks in advance,
    Craig, Diane and the RatPack
    That's a pretty big circle. I did a big triangle on my motorcycle in 2009. It was only 3 weeks. You have 4 months. I enjoyed Gettysburg via the back roads. I think I would move the rig 300 to 500 miles and camp. Get in the truck and visit the local back roads and sites. And move again. Stop at small town local museums. The new ideas will come from the walls of thing you will see.
    Enjoy your trip, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    Since you are heading to Texas, the Oklahoma City memorial is worth a stop over. Watch the weather for thunder storms and tornados. We had to move along quickly a time or two trying to stay out of their path.
    Thanks! That's my fear...tornados! Weather so unpredictable these days.
    2017 369RL, 2016 F-350 4x4 Lariat 6.7psd srw lb. 2003 Seasport Sportsman 22ft offshore boat. 3 adorable ( most of the time ) Rat Terriers.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    That's a pretty big circle. I did a big triangle on my motorcycle in 2009. It was only 3 weeks. You have 4 months. I enjoyed Gettysburg via the back roads. I think I would move the rig 300 to 500 miles and camp. Get in the truck and visit the local back roads and sites. And move again. Stop at small town local museums. The new ideas will come from the walls of thing you will see.
    Enjoy your trip, KEN
    Thanks! Probably need to try and not plan everything. Never took a trip before with no definite end date!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    Sounds like a great trip. If you can pass through Chattanooga while in Tennessee you may want to consider making time for the National Military Parks at Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga. Both were sites of pivotal battles during the Civil War. Chattanooga waterfront area also very nice. Travel safely!
    Thanks! we will add to our list. So much to see!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast