User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling into a tight pull through spot

Please forgive the long winded question but need some advice. We picked up our first fifth wheel and did pretty well getting it out the RV sales lot and down the road and freeway. Once I got our storage spot things got a little hairy. I have a 10x40 pull through spot but there are RV literally on the lines on both sides of the spot so it's tough. Can you give me some advice on how far to pull forward/turn the truck to get into a spot like that? We ended up getting in there crooked and then backing up some and just did that until we finally made it in, but being a pull through spot seems like it would be an easier exercise. Thanks so much for the help.
    Jeremy & Katie
    2017 303RLS Reflection
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I begin to turn when I get to where I would turn if I were pulling into the space beyond the space I'm pulling into. That way the trailer is making a wide swing into the spot. That keeps the trailer from tracking to the inside of the curve, and clipping the rear of the trailer in the adjacent slot.

I had the same difficulty you're having at first. Then I watched some 18 wheelers park at rest areas, and caught onto the method.

Also, I find it easier to pull into a space to my left than to me right (if I have a choice).

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes practice. Easiest way to learn is find an empty parking lot with lines. Practice getting between the lines
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, will get it into a parking lot tomorrow and give it alot practice. I tried to do what you describe but my truck didn't have the cut to fully make it around to my spot with the trailers that are in the spot to my left. I'm trying not to stress too much as I have like 30 min of real life practice under my belt.
    Jeremy & Katie
    2017 303RLS Reflection

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't sweat it, as long as you don't do any damage, it really doesn't matter. You will get better with time. One thing to remember when maneuvering in tight quarters is the tail swing.

When end we get into really tight spots, I put my Bluetooth in, and send Mrs. Big Mike out to spot for me. I'd rather do that than possibly hit someone's rig, a tree, picnic table, etc.

One last thing, do not get frustrated/aggravated. It doesn't help.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Big Mike. We bought a pair of walkie talkies and those were a life saver today. My wife was looking at all sides so I wouldn't even attempt it without a spotter. I also sent an email to the RV storage lot asking if they had an end spot by chance
    Jeremy & Katie
    2017 303RLS Reflection

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Practice, practice, practice as they say. Just take your time you'll get the hang of it. It has been mentioned above but I'll say it again as I believe it is critical - use a spotter. We have a back in spot at our storage that is pretty tight due to the steel support columns for the roof structure out at the front edge. I've also found that the fifth wheel hitch setup give you quite a bit of maneuverability compared to a TT. If I put my slider hitch back in the maneuver position with our short bed truck I can really maneuver quite well. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Practice, that's all. If you don't have enough room to maneuver the truck, you may have to back up and fiddle it in no matter what you do. The spot I am in now is a back in spot and I had to unhook and reposition the truck to get in because I couldn't go back or pull forward enough to straighten the truck and put the trailer where I wanted. You do what you gotta do. I slide my hitch in those situations. Peace of mind and moving the pivot point a foot behind the rear axle makes the trailer react a bit quicker when maneuvering.

Amen on the spotter and a pair of walkie talkies.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started with a couple of handheld radios but now use our cell phones with mine bluetooth connected to the truck's audio system which allows me to use both hands for maneuvering.
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use hand signals instead of walkie tailies. I won't move unless I see my wife in the mirror, sometimes she needs to move to check something out and I just sit and wait. It works for us. I don't let anyone other than my wife back me either...we're used to each other's signals. Tell your wife to look up as well. Take your time, I have to get out and look a lot with a 5th wheel where I didn't with a MH. To me 5th Wheels are harder to back. Figure out what you are doing to do and discuss it with her, then she knows if you're on track or not.

Not sure I would want the end parking spot. Everybody turns past your rig...to easy to get hit.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast