Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Tow upgrade...Air bags or trail air hitch.

Just got a reflection 303....Not sure what towing upgrade is better to go with first. I will be towing with a Anderson ultimate. My pin weight will be 1600 unloaded to possible 2000 loaded. I have a 2016 gmc 3500 SRW crew cab 6.5 foot bed. I want to have a smooth ride. I know best is get both but was looking for the best to get first. One may give you more benefit then the other. Any advice. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you tow it for a while to see if you need either upgrade ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Why don't you tow it for a while to see if you need either upgrade ?

Rob
    X2 you may not need either.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True my only concern is suspension sag on my truck. I see it a lot on fords. With either of these upgrades it would limit that as well as smooth out ride. But your right it may not even squat the suspension.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2000 lbs shouldn't hardly budge a 3500. Maybe set it down just over an inch at most. My F350 sits down at exactly 2 inches. I haven't checked my pin weight yet but I should be around 3800 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Momentum 376TH
    2012 F350 DRW
    2007 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 303 sets my 2015 Ram 3500 SRW dead level which would be dropping it about 2 to "maybe" 2.5 inches which is perfect. I don't think you'll need anything. Definitely not air bags. And I'd also be willing to bet your gonna be over 2000 pin weight once loaded unless your a really light packer.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greene728 View Post
    My 303 sets my 2015 Ram 3500 SRW dead level which would be dropping it about 2 to "maybe" 2.5 inches which is perfect. I don't think you'll need anything. Definitely not air bags.
    You have a smooth ride? I think some people use this stuff to smooth out the ride and try to make it comfortable as possible for long drives. What you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I've never had either so I can't comment on experience. I can say in the short time I've had the 303 that the ride was fine. No issues at all to speak of but only towed it twice thus far. Bags are meant to level a load and not necessarily for ride. They may help some sure, but may also effect the unloaded ride as they must be kept at a minimum pressure. The trail air now will be different. Its purpose is of course to smooth out the felt effects of the rig on the TV. But you have a truck more than capable of handling the weights of the 303 easily. Me personally (and from a monetary standpoint) I would look at a good aftermarket HD/towing shock for the rear of the truck before anything else if ride was my concern. Check out Bilstein 4600's. But I still maintain giving it a few tries before spending the money on something that may not be needed.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greene728 View Post
    Honestly I've never had either so I can't comment on experience. I can say in the short time I've had the 303 that the ride was fine. No issues at all to speak of but only towed it twice thus far. Bags are meant to level a load and not necessarily for ride. They may help some sure, but may also effect the unloaded ride as they must be kept at a minimum pressure. The trail air now will be different. Its purpose is of course to smooth out the felt effects of the rig on the TV. But you have a truck more than capable of handling the weights of the 303 easily. Me personally (and from a monetary standpoint) I would look at a good aftermarket HD/towing shock for the rear of the truck before anything else if ride was my concern. Check out Bilstein 4600's. But I still maintain giving it a few tries before spending the money on something that may not be needed.
    Thanks for the info!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with Andersen before you select a dampened pin box of any kind. Anything that doesn't keep the king pin vertical - and pin plate horizontal - at all times is a no-no with the Andersen and SuperLite hitches. Andersen recommended the Demco Glide Ride to us, but there are others that will work, as well. I think the Roto-Flex is one that won't.

The Glide Ride made a HUGE difference for us, but our loaded pin weight is 3,000 lbs. and trailer a little over 13,000. I have Timbrens on the truck, but it's only a 2500. As "Other Rob" said, pull it a bit and see - you may not need anything at all.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast