Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 385TH - 3rd AC

Hello All,
    I'm new to this forum and just purchased a new to us 2015 385TH after having 3 previous TT's. My question revolves around the need for a 3rd A/C unit for the garage. We do not have toys therefore the garage is primarily used as a bunkroom for my two growing boys therefore comfort is key. The coach only has 2 A/C's however the garage is ducted into the circuit. Is a 3rd A/C recommended or will the 2 house units keep up with the cooling demands? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Brian & Julia Connolly
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the family! As far as the 3rd AC goes it depends on where you're camping and the season. We have 3 AC's but only use 2 at a time. We use electric fans to move the air. Since we have wheels we try to stay out of the heat and the cold.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input Red. We are located in SE PA (Lancaster) and run up to Maine however most of the time were venturing south (I.E. south OBX, FL, KY, TX) so the temperatures are typically in the mid 80's to mid 90's when were out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Welcome to our group!
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 380TH which is similar to yours and do have the third AC. I'd think if you plan to use the garage for living area, and will be in 90 degree temps, you'll definitely want the additional AC. The garage will get 10 degrees hotter and 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the unit. Even though we do carry a motorcycle, once we offload that space becomes office and sewing room for us and we like our comfort. YMMV

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We aren't presently using the garage as living space, but will be eventually. Keep in mind that the floor isn't insulated as well as the rest of the trailer. That comes into play more in the winter.

We ordered ours with all three AC units for a couple of reasons. As they say in the military - one is none, two is one, etc. In the event of a failure of one, we still have two more that would buy us time to get the defective unit fixed. Since we are full-timers, getting to a dealer/repair isn't very convenient.

The other reason is that in very hot temperatures, running all three at the same time cools it off VERY quickly initially. Once cooled off, the other two can easily maintain the temperature. If you do a search in the Momentum forum, there are some posts about sealing the air ducts to the vents. If that hasn't been done on your trailer, it makes a difference too. The garage stays cool enough in the summer, and you should have a fan back there in the ceiling in place of the AC that you can use when needed.

The garage tends to stay a little warmer in the summer, but much cooler in the winter. There is only one heat outlet vent back there. When we are below freezing outside and have the rest of the trailer at 70F inside, the garage is in the 50's to lower 60's. You will want supplemental heating back there of some sort.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2015 385TH with the third AC. We also just use 2 at a time and alternate the units by leaving the unit off in the room we are in. I also installed a 12v ceiling fan in the living room to keep air circulating both hot and cold. As Alan said, the garage can run 10 deg. different from the front areas so the additional AC is very helpful when hot outside. We are definitely glad we have it.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE