User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OSB under mattress

We replaced our mattress with a memory foam mattress after the original mattress split a seam. The new mattress is 100% improvement for sleep comfort.

The only thing is that the OSB board under the mattress is about 4" short on both sides and the bottom. This causes an issue when trying to tuck in sheets and it lacks support when siting on the edge of the mattress.

I'm considering getting a new piece of OSB of plywood and cutting it so it is larger to extend and help with the issues.

Is there any down side of doing this?

Picture of OEM Mattress that split below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1256.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you have enough room to navigate around the bed, it'll work perfectly.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry - I did exactly this on our Reflection. Replaced the plywood under the bed with a piece that is just an inch less than the mattress on all sides. (WRT the picture, when the bed is lowered, the mattress slides to be an inch beyond the plywood at the end as well.) This makes the mattress much firmer around the edges. BTW, while I was at it, I laminated a sheet of Formica to the underside of the bed platform for a more finished cover to the storage area under the bed. I also changed out the struts for stronger ones that will hold up the heavier mattress.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1122.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice finished look Rob...!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One additional thought . . . if you have a slide that comes up against the bed when retracted, this needs to be factored into the plan. This is why the larger platform that I added is shifted to the right in the picture (away from the closet slide).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replacing the bed OSB on our 2650 is on my "to do" list for the same reason - too short / narrow.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bed platform mod from king to queen...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170110_200733 (1).jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	6481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170110_200718 (1).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	6482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170110_200829 (1).jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	6483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170110_200848 (1).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	6484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170110_201007.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	6485

My husband did this...but we actually downsized from a king to a queen so that we would have room to walk around the bed. He took the board off, cut it down and rounded the ends (sanded it nice and smooth on the top) put 1 x 3's around the edge to help shore it up as we replaced it with a a 15 inch thick memory foam w/gel mattress (heavier but oh so comfy). He also covered it with a tan canvas like denim to protect the new mattress so it wasn't right on the plywood. Now I can sit on the edge which before I couldn't sit on the side edge or the end...though it is so high I need a step stool to get onto it which is fine. The queen actually fits way better and I can actually turn sideways on both sides of the bed. It is much easier to make and after thinking we needed a king we really didn't and have plenty of room.

The first photo shows the 1 x 3 he put around the edge (after he sawed some of the platform off to fit the queen)...it was way too small for the king mattress and how he covered it and the top with the canvas type denim material. You can see it a little better in the 2nd photo. Of course now the lifts are not strong enough to hold it up so we use a plastic tube prop. The 3rd photo shows the mattress we bought as our replacement (it was half off). The 4th photo (sorry it's sideways shows it a little better but only if you turn your head) and the 6th shows how much room is on the sides now. The king was crammed in and was so thin and uncomfortable and hung way over the end and sides of the pedestal. This was a much better fit and we sleep so well on it and there's plenty of room. We are not tall and have both been losing weight but we are both just over 200 lbs and under 5'7" and fit just fine on the queen. Love love love the room on the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    We replaced our mattress with a memory foam mattress after the original mattress split a seam. The new mattress is 100% improvement for sleep comfort.

The only thing is that the OSB board under the mattress is about 4" short on both sides and the bottom. This causes an issue when trying to tuck in sheets and it lacks support when siting on the edge of the mattress.

I'm considering getting a new piece of OSB of plywood and cutting it so it is larger to extend and help with the issues.

Is there any down side of doing this?

Picture of OEM Mattress that split below.

Gary, Deborah & Boo Kitty Girl Westoby
    2016 Grand Design Solitude ST 379 FL (Beautiful Behemoth)
    Purchased in 2019
    Rosie (the Riveter) 2019 Ram Limited Dually, Bright White
    Reese 20K M5 5th Wheel Hitch
    Retirement for Deborah 12.31.20 / Gary 5.31.21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed that you replaced the original mattress after it split - we replaced ours after the FIRST NIGHT of sleeping on it!!!!! ARRGH!! We took our guest room mattress and put it in our trailer when we got home from our inaugural overnight trip!!!

Nice job on the mods!!!
    Cord & Alison Ozment
    Kinsey (Aus Shep X Blk Lab)
    San Ramon, CA

2017 Imagine 2150RB

Tow Vehicle = 2011 Lexus GX460

Toy = 2011 Lexus IS350C

Destinations = Relaxation, Wine Country, Golf, Beach, Sedona.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]