User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

final resolution of axle problems

All this past Summer I posted about an axle problem I was having on my 303rls. To review, I had an issue with my rear axle. I was wearing out passenger side rear tires at the rate of about 1 every 1500 miles. They were wearing on the outside edge in. When I originally contacted Grand Design about the problem back in June, I was told that I would have to contact Lippert since they manufactured the axle. After several months of gathering supporting information I filed a claim with Lippert with pictures and documentation and got absolutely no where. They would not give me the time of day. They said I must have curbed it and washed their hands of it. After being rejected by Lippert, I took my RV to Freedom RV in North Franklin, CT. Freedom is not a Grand Design dealer, but Mark Maynard at Freedom was beyond helpful. He felt bad for my situation since I am home based in Arizona and we were having these problems a long way from home. Freedom had the equipment and did a "correct track" alignment on my rig. They said my rig was the most accurately aligned rig they had ever done. Thus, we were able to rule out alignment as the cause of my tire wear. After leaving Freedom RV, I called Grand Design again and spoke to Ray Duffy in their warranty department. I reiterated with Ray the issues I was having with my rig and told him my claim was rejected by Lippert. I also told Ray I had my rig aligned at Freedom RV and that the alignment was perfect. I told Ray that I believed it had to be a bad axle and that I felt that if Lippert would not make it right, Grand Design should. The rig was only 6 months old. After going back and forth for awhile, Ray and I came to a compromise. I agreed to pay for the axle and the shipping cost and Ray agreed to pay for the installation. Freedom RV installed the new axle and did another alignment on the rig and soon after I was on the road and heading South to Florida. I am very happy to say that the new axle took care of my problem.

I have several thoughts on this whole experience. First of all, I was treated very badly by Lippert. No matter what evidence I gave them, they had decided they were not going to pay this claim. I even offered to pay the labor if they gave me a new axle. Their behavior was shameful. Secondly, I was pleased with the response that I got from Ray Duffy at Grand Design. I believe Ray made an honest effort to make this situation right and he did all he could do. Lastly, this fiasco ended up costing me over $1100 even with Grand Design paying the axle labor. (the cost of the new axle + shipping and the cost of 2 worn tires.) This rig was only 6 months old and I will always be bitter that I had to spend this kind of money on it within the first year. I hold Lippert responsible for this. I surely hope non of you have to deal with Lippert.

I wanted to let the forum know sooner about my resolution, but I had some issues that set me back.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it resolved. I think it stinks neither Lippert or GD did not do more for you. Could either explain how you curb 1 tire on a dual axle, my thought is both wheels on that side would suffer damage not just 1 if you hit a curb.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry you had to go thru that.... I feel Grand Design let you down not Lippert. Grand Design are the ones that assembled it and sold it under their franchise. Sad to hear.........

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've seen Grand Design change brands of components when they caused problems--like Atwood on a/c units and refrigerators and Anderson on Kantleak valves.

I just think it's a shame that they have too many Lippert components like frames and axles to tell them to take a hike. I'd hate to deal with them as a company knowing I didn't have any alternative company to deal business with.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious why you had to pay for anything. Just doesn't add up unless they found partial blame on your end for something? I'd be pretty upset if I had to take the cost of the part or labor for something that was a defect.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were just the front axle giving you the problem I could see them blaming you hitting something with it, or if were both. But, just the rear, not likely. And only 1500 miles, that is a pretty substantial problem! Especially if everything is pointing the same direction as confirmed by the alignment. Haven't dealt with Lippert directly, but just had a problem that should have involved them. I called Grand Design first and they sent needed parts and I am fixing it myself. That is the way I prefer it so I don't have to deal with my dealers service department.
    Take care,
    Chris
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD Dually w/ B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Lippert rep that is on the Grand Design Owners Facebook page and she is always jumping it and helping with any Lippert related issues. I would reach out to her, Emily Stanley - [email protected]
    Del & Vickie
    2016 Reflection 337
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD w/Hips - 4WD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I'm curious why you had to pay for anything. Just doesn't add up unless they found partial blame on your end for something? I'd be pretty upset if I had to take the cost of the part or labor for something that was a defect.
    There was nothing to indicate that I caused any type of damage in any way. In fact, when Freedom RV removed the old axle we could not see anything at all that should have caused my problem. But obviously the axle or hub was bent or something. Replacing the axle fixed my issue. Could I have fought with Grand Design and Lippert and eventually won? Maybe. But I was on the road for 5 months 2,000 miles from home and I just wanted this problem to go away. At the time I could not even find a Grand Design dealer that could look at my rig inside of a 2 month lead time. That's why I went with Freedom RV which is a non Grand Design dealer. Your right, in the perfect world I should not have had to pay anything, but the warranty world of Grand Design and Lippert is far from perfect. This problem was ruining my trip and I just wanted it to go away, so I paid. I don't think you can say that it doesn't add up. I have no ax to grind here. I'm just presenting the facts in order to give closure to an issue I first brought to the forums attention back in July.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainp View Post
    I'm sorry you had to go thru that.... I feel Grand Design let you down not Lippert. Grand Design are the ones that assembled it and sold it under their franchise. Sad to hear.........
    I feel they both let me down, but Lippert let me down more. It may not be right, but Grand Design's policy is to go through Lippert for warranty on the systems they make. At least Grand Design listened to me and compromised. Lippert just shut me down period. However, I do agree that in the end I should not have had to compromise. Grand Design should have made it totally right.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T'boro Fisher View Post
    There is a Lippert rep that is on the Grand Design Owners Facebook page and she is always jumping it and helping with any Lippert related issues. I would reach out to her, Emily Stanley - [email protected]
    This ^^^^ Many of us met Emily at the Nor Cal rally and she insisted she will help whenever she can. Even though you have already paid I think you should reach out to her specifically. You may get some money back, nothing to loose.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast