User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Disconnect Question

Our trailer has the OEM battery Disconnect switch in the passthrough area. Since I read on previous posts that they do not always kill all electrical output, I put it to the test when we picked the trailer up two weeks ago. I found that nothing was on when the kill switch was disconnected and the trailer was not plugged into shore power. I checked radio, Carbon Monoxide detector, etc. no power going to them. The weather has not allowed me to check the battery output with a multimeter yet, but I will.

So I have had the trailer plugged into shore power, and a couple days ago I unhooked the Disconnect switch. Today I realized that the lights and outlets are still working even though the kill switch is on. I know the outlets are ac, but what about the led lights. Those are dc. How can they still be working while the switch is deactivated? Is there some sort of bypass that allows this while hooked to shore power?
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Our trailer has the OEM battery Disconnect switch in the passthrough area. Since I read on previous posts that they do not always kill all electrical output, I put it to the test when we picked the trailer up two weeks ago. I found that nothing was on when the kill switch was disconnected and the trailer was not plugged into shore power. I checked radio, Carbon Monoxide detector, etc. no power going to them. The weather has not allowed me to check the battery output with a multimeter yet, but I will.

So I have had the trailer plugged into shore power, and a couple days ago I unhooked the Disconnect switch. Today I realized that the lights and outlets are still working even though the kill switch is on. I know the outlets are ac, but what about the led lights. Those are dc. How can they still be working while the switch is deactivated? Is there some sort of bypass that allows this while hooked to shore power?
    If you have the camper plugged into a power outlet you will have DC power throughout the camper with the Kill switch on or off. You also want to keep that key on the kill switch in place and engage while you are plugged in so your battery will charge.

I wish the kill switch killed the front electric jack and I will most likely re wire it to do so.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kendive. I forgot about the switch needing to be plugged in for the batteries to charge. Going out to check it now.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed