User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Rack - bumper support

I just bought an Imaging travel trailer and I am looking to strengthen the bumper to be able to carry two beach cruisers. I have seen and read the reviews on the safety struts on Amazon and I am wondering if anyone has used them and if they recommended them as well. If not the safety struts, is there any other support you are using?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those tube bumpers can hardly support their own weight,tried to bolt a bike rack on one,did not work out well.i went to a wielding shop, they welded a receiver with support bars to the frame.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider getting a ladder mounted to back of trailer (our 2600rb came with one). eTrailer and all others sell bike racks that hang from those ladders for < $80.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyLife View Post
    I just bought an Imaging travel trailer and I am looking to strengthen the bumper to be able to carry two beach cruisers. I have seen and read the reviews on the safety struts on Amazon and I am wondering if anyone has used them and if they recommended them as well. If not the safety struts, is there any other support you are using?
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used Safety Struts on our last Heartland TT and they worked great. We used it to put on a rack with four bicycles. We did have tubular framing in that section - I believe tubular portion of frame at the bumper connection may have been welded to the I-beam frame on that unit. The point made above about ability to use them with I-beam frame connection should be considered. The bottom flange on the I-beam would likely interfere with proper connection. May need to add some type of spacer? Might be best to take a photo of the connection location and send it to someone at Safety Strut to see what they have to say. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Per GD, Lippert rates the bumper for 150#. I'm relocating the spare tire to an under frame mount to get more space & weight capacity.
    SafetyStruts couldn't hurt though.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone interested I contacted Grand Design and they limit the bumper to 300 pounds of add on. With spare included plenty of capacity for a bike rack and a couple of bikes. Will post picks once I get my bolt on hitch adapter.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    For anyone interested I contacted Grand Design and they limit the bumper to 300 pounds of add on. With spare included plenty of capacity for a bike rack and a couple of bikes. Will post picks once I get my bolt on hitch adapter.
    See the attached thread (post #2) where GDRV (Jessica) at the time confirmed what many of us had heard that the bumper rating was (is ?) 150 lbs. The GDRVs with 2" receiver hitches are rated at 300 lbs. as posted on the sticker. I can't imagine that the bumper has changed to double the rating. Whom did you communicate this with at GDRV ?......I think this needs re-visiting. http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...=bumper+rating

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott McDaniel
    [email protected]

Regional Service Manager

Phone: 574-825-9679

Fax: 574-825-9249
    I would like confirmation as well. I intend to install a bumper mount bike rack this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    See the attached thread (post #2) where GDRV (Jessica) at the time confirmed what many of us had heard that the bumper rating was (is ?) 150 lbs. The GDRVs with 2" receiver hitches are rated at 300 lbs. as posted on the sticker. I can't imagine that the bumper has changed to double the rating. Whom did you communicate this with at GDRV ?......I think this needs re-visiting. http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...=bumper+rating

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Solitude 369 with 10,000 miles on the bike rack on the bumper with two full size mountain bikes. No issues at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim & Viv Steiner
    2016 Solitude 369RL
    2016 F350 6.7 SW SB