Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: What is everyone towing with?

[quote author=Long Island Happy Camper link=topic=48.msg260#msg260 date=1379607054]
    Had a 2005 Ford F-350 6.0 deisel that was a disaster. Blew 2 EGRs, turbocharger, high pressure fuel pump, tow command system.
    [/quote]

Did the warranty cover any of that?

Site Sponsor Long Island Happy Camper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The warranty covered the first EGR and the turbocharger. I had an extended warranty through Geico when I purchased the truck that picked up the other EGR, high pressure fuel pump and other issues. It was only $8 a month with a $250 deductible. For the first 3 years I was paying $8 a month and didn't need it but after the Ford warranty of 3years 36,000 miles expired I sure needed it then. I am actually part of the class action lawsuit against Ford for the 6.0 engine. I have the extended warranty again with Geico for current F-350.
    Jeff - Long Island - New York
    2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH #5
    2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Duallie Golden Bronze Metallic
    Reese 20K Select Hitch
    TST flow through tire pressure monitor
    Firestone Ride Rite Air-Bags

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My brother has a 2006 or 2007 F250 with the 6.0 and he's doesn't use it to tow his travel trailer because he's afraid of having problems. He has a 1995 F250 with the 7.3 he uses to tow with.

Site Sponsor Long Island Happy Camper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots and lots of issues with the 6.0 Ford. Ford took Navistar (builder of the 6.0 engine) to federal court to get out of the contract to build engines for Ford. Ford had to pay Hundreds of millions of dollars in warranty repairs for the 6.0 engine. I had only 10,000 miles when my first EGR went. I mostly only use my truck to tow my fifth wheel. I traded in my 2005 Ford F-350 with only 48,000 miles on it and it was fully paid off but I was tired of ruining my vacations by breaking down. Ford now went back to building there own engine with the 6.7 like they did with the 7.3's
    Jeff - Long Island - New York
    2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH #5
    2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Duallie Golden Bronze Metallic
    Reese 20K Select Hitch
    TST flow through tire pressure monitor
    Firestone Ride Rite Air-Bags

marmidor

2001 Ford F350 7.3 4x4 4inch lift on 35 Mickey T's! 8)

Ron S

2013 F250 6.7L Diesel. Had air bags installed in the rear - tow at 45PSI.

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Well, with the changes to the 2013 RAM, especially the Aisin transmission, it's a whole different game. You'll wonder why you thought Alison. The new frame is incredible too.
    Ct..

[quote author=el Rojo link=topic=48.msg198#msg198 date=1379516033]
    IMO the perfect truck would be a cummins engine, allison transmission and a Ford chassis. Lots of luck right? LOL

Renee, your truck should do fine in the mountains. And Steve, I wish I could get your mileage.
    [/quote]
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're towing with a 2011 Ford F-450 6.7 Dually - great truck!
    Steve & Mary - Fairfax, VA
    2014 Solitude 305RE
    2011 Ford F-450 Lariat DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

I am towing my solitude 369 (and before that a Cedar Creek 37RDTS of the same weight) with a 2010 Dodge RAM Diesel 6,7L Cummings engine with 4.10 differential, Mega-Cab, 4x4, (SRW). I am running with Michelin LTX/MS2 17" tires. I would like to get larger tires in the future,

I added Firestone air suspension on my truck with an on board compressor, 5 gallon air tank and an air connector to fill my tires or run air tools. Also added AMP power running boards that deploy when the door opens (and a manual AMP bed step) so I don't loose ground clearance. more importantly it keeps the snow and rain off. The running boards. A hijacker hitch with manual slide with lateral movement and a TruckUSA roll tonneau cover to protect the contents in my truck bed.

I also use a voyageur camera on the rear of my 5th wheel as Donna is more comfort able hauling the trailer when she can see behind the trailer. I find it handy too.

latest addition is a TPMS system to monitor my truck and trailer tires. I almost had a blow out last winter on my way to Florida and decided it was a wise investment because when I stopped after driving only 20 minutes and noticed my flat tire. Had I not stopped, it would have had a costly disaster. I did not feel the low tire pressure of 20lbs in my back rear truck tire as my trailer hitch accommodated for it. Very scary!

Of course, using a GPS. It's a 2008 Garmin but looking for a newer one that I can enter my height and length. Haven't found the right one yet. That will be my next addition.

I love my truck.

Happy travels.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

rvsteve

My wife and I are considering a Solitude 369RL. The tow vehicle is a 2013 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab with the Aisin transmission. I know the towing is well within the specs, but am wondering about the pin weight. We are light travelers but that RV looks heavy. Thoughts? Thanks!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast