User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Geat RV Debate

I'm relatively certain that you guys went through what I call the Great RV Debate. And that is - whether to go the motorhome or trailer route. And I'm also assuming that your decision meant that there was some compromises/concessions that had to be made, yes? I mean, a motorhome is nice, but you gotta tow some sort of transportation with you if you wanna move about whilst your motorhome is on site. If you go the trailer route, you have the transportation licked, but what if you wanna bring along a boat? And so it was with us.

We have a pontoon boat (that I recently restored and did a fantastic job if I do say so myself) that we love to boat with in the summer months with family and friends. When we started our RV shopping, that boat presented a challenge and was a major factor in our Great RV Debate. I can't tell you how many times we went back-n-forth between trailer and motorhome. If we buy a motorhome, we can bring our boat with us. But what do we do for a car?? If we buy a trailer, we have a car, but can't tow our boat.

In the end, we concluded that the times we would be camping and wanting the boat with us at the same time was very little. So we opted to go the trailer route. Besides....amenities and living space all being equal, a 5th wheel was a better bang for the buck than a class A.

HOWEVER........I guess I just didn't think outside of the box because the following picture clearly shows that you really can take it all with you.

Tom

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See??? I told you so.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Take It All.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	6549

Tom

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!

Two questions. 1) How do they get it on/off? 2) Wonder just how high it is.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now I feel impotent with the puny 14' fishing boat on top of our truck. Thanks Tom! Now I need to go back to the drawing board and start over.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!! Don't let the weight police see that truck.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Now I feel impotent with the puny 14' fishing boat on top of our truck. Thanks Tom! Now I need to go back to the drawing board and start over.
    I've given your issue Jim (the boat and not your impotency) some thought and I hope you don't mind some input. Since most 5th wheel RV's are pretty tall suckers, could you not jack up your GD trailer and have some kinda cradle built underneath that your boat could go on?. That way you could launch your boat without having to disconnect your TT. I suspect that with some careful design, your over all height wouldn't be much more than a GD Momentum. If I was gonna do this, I'd go to one of those shops that builds monster trucks.

Anyhow.....just a thought.

Tom

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Dad47 View Post
    Wow!! Don't let the weight police see that truck.
    Weight hell!!!!!! I'd be worried about over passes!!

Tom

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope that height app works well.
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, wow. Thanks for the good laugh this afternoon, everybody! 😂😉😮😲

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just decided the Fifth Wheel was our toy though we may get a couple of kayaks. My husband will be selling his 1992 Honda GW 1500 in the spring. I sold my 1990 Honda GW 1500 about 3 years earlier.

We went back and forth on whether to get a motor home or a 5th wheel because of toys, office, towing, etc. After about 5-6 years of doing our homework we decided on a 5th wheel because we felt we could get more bang for our buck. We are so totally happy with it. Now we just need a truck! That's coming in 2018. Sometimes you just cannot take it all with you as hard as you might try!

Gary, Deborah & Boo Kitty Girl Westoby
    2016 Grand Design Solitude ST 379 FL (Beautiful Behemoth)
    Purchased in 2019
    Rosie (the Riveter) 2019 Ram Limited Dually, Bright White
    Reese 20K M5 5th Wheel Hitch
    Retirement for Deborah 12.31.20 / Gary 5.31.21