Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lack of schematic in owners manual

I really like my new 348M toy hauler. However, I find the lack of schematic in the owners manual really frustrating. Not having the schematic usually results in multiple calls to Grand Design just to find simple answers to " how is this hooked up?" Or where is this" type questions. If anyone has schematics for tank layouts, electrical, main gcfi reset, in line fuses etc, it sure would be helpful to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's funny one after I purchased my travel trailer I called them up and asked them if I could get a copy of the schematic, you know, so I know where stuff is. The guy told me that he could not send me a copy because then I can go out and build my own...yeah...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have owned alot of different campers and never got a schematic with one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt if anyone has an actual schematic. Have you ever toured an RV factory?
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Rockwood 5 th.wheel and it was a lot easier to find how parts were laid out. I use to live near the rv builders in Indiana, but never toured a company plant.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have received from GD wiring Diagrams for the "MyRV" system in their units if that is what you are asking? so yes they will release some information. and I also remember in the factory tour how they do a bit of bragging on the fact they have a very systematic and color coded layout for their wiring, I imagine they would want that information to the folks that needed it? Have any of you tried asking your dealer to be the conduit for the request? I only ask to see if they may receive the same answer? or have a reluctance to share to generate service work?
    Jason Silvestry

Sales Manager

ExploreUSA RV Supercenter

3637 West Hwy 90 Seguin, TX 78155

Cell: 210-421-6555

Office: 830-303-2040

Fax: 830-303-2036

[email protected]

Connect on Linkedin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been one of the universal complaints about RV's for many years - lack of wiring schematics and plumbing diagrams. It's easy to say "it's proprietary".

When I had a stick-built house constructed, I took photos of every stage (sometimes with someone holding a tape measure in the photo) including before the drywall was up with both plumbing and electrical shown in the walls. Having that makes future work and repairs much easier - especially where hidden plumbing is involved.

Having an "example wiring schematic" and line diagram with a notation that "your trailer may be different, but this is generally how we do it" would be great. Having a line diagram for output plumbing (and one with supply plumbing) from the top looking down and from the side would be great. Showing the tanks underneath with rough measurements would be great. Those would solve most owners issues.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so proud of the fact that on both homes I built I had the awareness to take pics during construction, as I feel they have been invaluable since for any repairs and improvements since. I refer to the pics as xrays of my home.
    Jason Silvestry

Sales Manager

ExploreUSA RV Supercenter

3637 West Hwy 90 Seguin, TX 78155

Cell: 210-421-6555

Office: 830-303-2040

Fax: 830-303-2036

[email protected]

Connect on Linkedin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    This has been one of the universal complaints about RV's for many years - lack of wiring schematics and plumbing diagrams.
    I am new to all this but it just seems obvious to give a schematic of conduits, pipes, wires, etc. All very basic stuff that would have made my life just a little easier when I went to do all my after market installations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they can supply a schematic showing locations of wire and plumbing runs as they make model and mid year changes all the time. Plus I think they work from a list during assembly and not necessarily drawings showing routing locations, etc. Think how puckered you'd be if they sent you a bunch of drawings that didn't match your unit. And I'm sure they are not going to hire someone to create and maintain drawings up to date just in case an owner wants a copy. They don't need no stinkin' drawings so you don't get any either. For the most part these trailers are simple devices and figuring out the systems isn't hard you just have to get in there and look around. Generally someone on this forum has worked on any area you're interested in and you can get help here.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name