User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on our Solitude since we picked it up on 12-26-16 "Shake Down Cruise"

We picked up out Solitude 12-26-16. The next day we started loading it on Tuesday the 27th. That night I started getting sick and went to bed while my wife continued to get it ready for a trip we had plane on the 31st. Saturday the 30th I was still sick and it was raining a little so I just stayed in. That night (Sunday) morning, I wake up at 4:30 am it is pouring outside and I thought I heard wind, but couldn't tell due to the rain. Sunday morning my wife goes to take out something to the trailer and discovers the door is hard to open and here is the reason...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awening.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	6598 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awening2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	6599 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	awening3.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	6600

We had tornadoes through the night and we lost our 8 or 9' awning. Neither of us knew we where expecting storms and I was so sick I never thought about us having the awning out and my wife really didn't know to bring it in. The worst part about it is, I didn't contact my insurance company that we had the RV, because when we were filling out the paper work at dealership they asked me for our insurance information and I thought they sent it to our insurance company like my truck dealer did when we bought our truck...Nope. I was supposed to do that. So, we had no insurance on it.

Sunday, I spent most of the day removing the awning, so we could leave on our shake down cruise. While trying to take the awning down, I feel off the top of the ladder, because everything was wet and slippery and landed on my back, which I've had three back surgeries on. that last on being 5 disc cage.

We leave finally Sunday about 11 am heading to Lake Guntersville, AL. It takes us about 8 hours due to the sever thunder storms, vehicle accidents and tornadoes through AL. When we got to the RV park we were staying at, it was raining, dark, windy and cold. The campground host was gracious holding a light for us and talking to me. I felt bad for him being out in the rain, so I was trying to hurry up so he could get back to his RV. In doing so, I made the mistake on pulling the hitch handle before lowering the front jacks. Yup! I did it... and since the rocks were wet the chocks slid and the RV feel on the top of the truck bed. It didn't cause any damage other than a tinny bulge on the top right side of the truck bed about a 1/4", and my pride. No damage to the 5th wheel. This was the second time I unhooked the 5th wheel form the truck. I was, so used to pulling the parking break on my motor home and retracting the level jacks. I won't make this mistake again....unless I just loose my mind

After two days, we drove to Charlotte NC to see one of my brothers for two days and than going to Columbia SC for two days. We traveled on Hwy 64 through the Smokey's to Charlotte. Everything went well, weather was beautiful and had a safe trip there. We were there one day when we heard there was going to be this big Snow and Ice storm. They were predicting 7 inches of snow where we were. Well being from Pensacola, FL I've heard all the hype from weather forecasters before. Even though we didn't get much snow in Florida, most weather people blow things out of proportion. I've been through enough hurricanes to know. We where going to be heading to Columbia on that Saturday and we were told we wouldn't be able to get out until Monday or later. I decided to just hunker down, prepare and see what happens.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	6596 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	6597 ... as you can see it was mostly hype...lol

Our Solitude is at the dealer for two issues from the factory. The middle leveling jack on the right side has a leak, that the dealer is saying he thinks it is the packing at the top of the jack, IDK? They took pictures and sent it to GD. Also, the beige paint on the two foot aluminum strip on the bottom that runs down the right side was not fully painted. It looks like the paint was watered down and just barely sprayed. You can see the aluminum through the paint. They are supposed to be taking care of these two issues. They are also installing the dishwasher that we thought would be included with the residential package. We were told by the dealer that they stopped installing them in September 16, because not everyone wanted the dishwasher, so they are only doing the prep now. I purchased the DW and they are installing it. They are supposed to be giving me a price for the Awning arm that was broken in the storm.

One more issue we had on our way back. We were in North Augusta, GA and decided to pull into a gas station. As I was pulling into a drive way there was a elderly lady coming out out. I let her go past me and than I started making a slight left turn to the pump. She evidently got nervous being next to me and instead of pulling up to the main road to turn, she stopped 7 ft from the road and our RV clipped her left tail light. Why she stopped I have know idea. She kept apologizing to me and saying she was sorry. I told her it was OK and that's why we have insurance. No one was ticketed.

So, that was our "Shake Down Cruise". I hope we got it all out of our system and we are good to go now. I've learned some valuable and expensive lessons. Even though there was no sever storm warnings much less tornadoes watches for our area that Saturday night they happened. Even though there where 7 inch snow predictions it didn't happen. I've owned several RV's with awnings, but not this scissors type awnings. I have friends that have them, but they have the ones that automatically retract when the wind hits a certain speed. I wish GD had put them on the Solitude. I will never leave these out again unless I'm outside around the RV or during the day when I'm in it. I will check twice before I pull the hitch release and triple check the chocks firmly secure and the front jacks are down. I will never take for granted someone is completely out of my way before moving the rig. These weren't easy thing things to admit too, but hopefully from sharing my mistakes, others won't make them...lol
    Gary & Mina - Pensacola/Milton, Florida
    2017 GD Solitude 384GK-R, Bamboo, Beige Furniture, Slide Toppers, Gen Prep. Built 12-19-Home 12-26

2017 F 350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch, Dually, Chrome Package, Quad LED Lamps, Adaptive Cruise/CLSN WRN, Adaptive Stirring/Lane Alert,
    BLIS System, Tow Tech Bundle, Power Steps, Dual Alt's, 3.55 Limited Slip, B&W 3300 Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    [SIGPIC]http://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6069&dateline=1482812 176[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, kudos to you for the write up. Sorry you had the difficulties, but glad all is ok and the repairs are underway.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Howard Jones says..."Things can only get better!"
    David & Sandi
    Canton, GA
    2019 Refection 337RLS
    2019 FORD F-350 LARIAT CC SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff happens! If you start worrying about little things, you will be worried all the time. Life will go on. Have fun!
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Gary stuff does happen and I along with many others I am sure have felt your pain but the good news is these are just material things.

With our first 9' p/u camper back in the early 80s when the tire shop was putting new rear tires on they jacked the truck by the extended rear bumper and broke the brackets and the camper rear tie downs were ripped out of the camper. Our first mini-home in the late 80s was caught in a hail storm damaging all four sides. Our first new mini-home had the slide out awning slightly damaged when I turned too closely to a fuel station sign in Washington State. I very slowly backed into our neighbors tree with our Reflection the very first time I backed it out of our driveway.

Now days, all good campfire stories when enjoying an "orange pop" with friends, family, and fellow campers.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have to say I was suffering along with you in reading your write up! Wow! I'm pretty sure you have it all out of your system now. Bless your hearts! I just can't imagine how frustrated you all felt!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a beginning you're not to forget and I'll let my sister in law know she isn't the only one who lost their 5er on the truck bed. If it makes you feel better her bobo cost almost 3 grand between trailer and truck damage.
    Things will get better and you'll have a happy life in your 384
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear of the damage, but the big question is how is your back. Any lasting pain?

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, wow, what a beginning, and as long as your ok from the fall everything else can be fixed. I is very gracious of you to share your experiences with others here on the forum. I know I'll be sure to put my awnings in each evening after seeing what unexpected storms can do to them.
    My guess is Murphy's got his quota in with you so enjoy the rest of your travels in your 384GK.
    Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those awning arms are ridiculously expensive for how flimsy and small they are. We had to replace 2 on our MH when we lost our awning in a storm due to my own stupidity.

Sorry to hear about your eventful shakedown cruise. Good thing is it can only get better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast