User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is really sad. The problem is we are still buying them.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott d View Post
    It is really sad. The problem is we are still buying them.
    We still keep buying them because there is no other alternative. If you want to go camping, your only choice is the 50 year old technology and nonchalant attitude of the RV manufacturers. This is like the auto industry of the mid-80s . . . 30+ years ago. It took a serious offshore challenge to get domestic manufacturers to step up their game. There is no better quality challenger for the RV business . . . and I don't have 30 years to wait for a better product. So, we all have to do the best we can with what we can buy today.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    We still keep buying them because there is no other alternative. If you want to go camping, your only choice is the 50 year old technology and nonchalant attitude of the RV manufacturers. This is like the auto industry of the mid-80s . . . 30+ years ago. It took a serious offshore challenge to get domestic manufacturers to step up their game. There is no better quality challenger for the RV business . . . and I don't have 30 years to wait for a better product. So, we all have to do the best we can with what we can buy today.

Rob
    Ahhhhh.....but we can dream, can't we??

You hit the nail on the head Rob. My former employer (Gulfstream Aerospace) was the undisputed No.1 in the large cabin biz jet market for many, many years. They've only managed to stay there because there were folks at the helm 25+ years ago that saw the handwriting on the wall when Honda started mumbling about getting into the biz jet market. Honda now has built and certified their first jet and it's a game changer in the small jet category. They don't compete with Gulfstream......YET. And it's this "YET" that the company's leadership team is concerned with. Because Honda doesn't enter a market to play second fiddle. Add in a dollop of Chinese hacking (intellectual property stealing) and a significant reverse engineering program of Gulfstream jets and now there's Embraer with their new manufacturing facility in Florida and you got folks nipping at your heels. So Gulfstream pushes the envelope significantly in an effort to make it financially difficult for others to compete. Anyhow....as my Dad use to say, "Lead, follow or get the hell outta the way." Me? I'm going camping. LOL....

Tom

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, add me to the 303 left lean club.
    I am looking to even out mine too. I stopped by a local spring shop last week and showed them my flattened out springs
    They suggested replacing the the left side springs with 5 leaf in place of the 4 leaf. I think he told me that the 5 leafs have 1000# more capacity
    He was going to install the 5 leafs then put the trailer back on the ground and see how it sits
    If it looks and measures ok I was also going to replace the right side with new 4 leaf too for good measure because they are starting to flatten too
    I planning on doing this in April unless someone has a better idea
    The cost is going to be about $720 for 4 new springs and new u bolts out the door
    Another ? Are the axles going to need to aligned? Or can we just put everything back where it was . We would make note of where all the correct track cams were when taking apart
    Paul & Debbie
    2015 303RLS. #679 16” tires 2” lift
    2018 F350 SRW CCSB 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 B&W Std Hitch

Sold 5/18. 2005 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab short bed Duramax,

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjs2500hd View Post
    I am looking to even out mine too. I stopped by a local spring shop last week and showed them my flattened out springs
    They suggested replacing the the left side springs with 5 leaf in place of the 4 leaf. I think he told me that the 5 leafs have 1000# more capacity
    He was going to install the 5 leafs then put the trailer back on the ground and see how it sits
    If it looks and measures ok I was also going to replace the right side with new 4 leaf too for good measure because they are starting to flatten too
    The cost is going to be about $720 for 4 new springs and new u bolts out the door
    Another ? Are the axles going to need to aligned? Or can we just put everything back where it was . We would make note of where all the correct track cams were when taking apart
    Paul - Since you're going to have the suspension torn apart anyway, it would be a great time to change out your bushings and shackles, etc. I'd recommend a kit from MORryde. You might also check into changing the Equaflex equalizer since they also have rubber components that wear out over time.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

The OE springs on our 303s are rated at 2600 lbs each. As noted earlier, I currently have 3000 lb springs on the left side. 800 lbs more lift for the two springs is more-or-less the side to side weight difference. I would be cautious in going to stiffer springs than necessary because this will require more "shock absorbing" in the tire sidewalls. The springs should absorb as much as possible to lessen the loads that have to be absorbed only by the tires.

I replaced my OE right side 2600 lb springs at 11,000 miles with identical new LCI 2600 lb springs. After 1500 miles to settle the new springs, careful arch height measurements are within a few thousandths of an inch as compared to the originals. The right side springs are not being flattened by right side weight. The left side OE 2600 lb springs were deformed by left side weight at 11,000 miles.

$720 sounds like a crazy price. These springs are available for about $30 each. I agree with Jim's advice . . . if you are going to pull the suspension apart to change springs, now is the time to replace/upgrade the "cheapest possible" OE bushings, shackle plates, equalizers, etc.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

I agree with Rob $720 is quite hi. I'm the one who did the 5 leaf 3k springs on left side. Here's a link to the equivalent of what I put on my 303RLS and they are $26 each, u-bolts about $12 per axle. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus...SP-111275.html

Note: 3K springs have a different u-bolt torque spec. There is a LCI document somewhere that says what it is (I think it's about 90 ft. Lbs.).

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys I will check out the etrailer site I was being charged $60 per spring $15 per u bolt and $320 for labor and tax. Might do my self.
    Pat did it take care of your left lean?? And did you replace the right side with the stock rated springs too?
    Paul & Debbie
    2015 303RLS. #679 16” tires 2” lift
    2018 F350 SRW CCSB 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 B&W Std Hitch

Sold 5/18. 2005 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab short bed Duramax,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys I will check out the etrailer site I was being charged $60 per spring $15 per u bolt and $320 for labor and tax. Might do my self.
    Pat did it take care of your left lean?? And did you replace the right side with the stock rated springs too?
    Yes it took care of the lean, it leveled it out pretty good. It handles better now also. In some sites I have not had to level trailer at all. I'm happy with the results with the 5 leaf 3k springs. Rob and I have done a lot of measurements and calculations on trying to get this right. If you have someone do the work you may just get any 3k spring. The LCI 3k springs are 4 leaf and Rob can speak to how those results.

I left the right side with the stock springs, I was just trying to compensate for the extra weight and the lean on the left. I did not realign after doing it, but I was really careful when tightening things equally and tried to keep everything as straight as possible. I have been watching the tire wear and if I see anything abnormal then I will take it in to get it aligned.

Something to keep in mind when installing the wet bolts (shackle bolts) is to make sure the hole where the grease comes out in the middle of the bolt is facing up. Had problems with the wet bolts taking grease when they were facing down because of the weight.

If your going to do it yourself just be safe when supporting the trailer, its a lot of weight fairly high off the ground.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you need the grease where there is the greatest metal to metal contact? Seems like would want the hole facing down and jack up the trailer ( take the weight off the axle) to grease those bolts. Am I not looking at this correctly?
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast