Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now it's my turn - Atwood furnace won't start :-(

So after 7 weeks of flawless performance, yesterday afternoon our furnace stopped working. It worked in the morning but in the afternoon I noticed it was getting cold inside the RV and the furnace hadn't turned on. So, I cranked the thermostat up. Nothing. I then shut the furnace off (at the thermostat), waited 30 seconds and turned it back on. The fan started up and ran for a few seconds just like normal. I then heard the burner start up and run for 4-5 seconds then shut off. After about 10 seconds the burner started again then after 4-5 seconds shut off. The fan ran for another 10 seconds or so then the furnace shut off.

I shut the furnace off at the thermostat several more times over the next couple hours and was able to recreate this problem. No heat! I then went outside and checked the level of propane in the bottle being used (curb side) by disconnecting the hose and lifting the tank out. It was about 1/3 full. The street side bottle was full. I reconnected the hose and tried the furnace again. Same problem. It would cycle on and off then shut down. I flipped the propane tank switch to the street side bottle. Furnace still cycled on and off then shut down. I then returned the propane tank switch to the curb side bottle and tried the furnace one more time and it still cycled then shut down. I fired off an email to GD customer support and went to bed depressed.

I woke up this morning and tried the furnace one more time and you guessed it - it worked fine. Good grief! I didn't change anything!

Next up - I spent three hours reading every post on every thread I could find both here and on other forums only to learn the Atwood furnace problems can be caused by DOZENS of things! My warranty runs out in a week and based on what I've read, there is no single cause of my problem. I'm pretty sure GD will start throwing parts at it and I'll eventually pay big bucks to get it resolved months from now and out of warranty. I can't believe how many different things people have done to resolve this problem. It's crazy.

Here is a partial list of what worked for others-
    • Propane related (switched out propane pig tails, valves, switches, lines, etc)
    • Drained oil from propane lines
    • Added vents to back of furnace cover to allow more air in
    • Replaced vent tube
    • Sealed vent tube
    • Added vents in bedroom
    • Replaced circuit board
    • Replaced igniter
    • Bent valve inside furnace
    • Move wires around
    • Adjust pressure regulator
    • Add second duct
    • Cleaned things with vacuum
    • Cleaned points on something or other
    • Realigned gas valve
    • Replaced furnace

Sorry, just wanted to get this off my chest. I would have no problem with the failure of my furnace if I knew how to fix it. We are 1,000 miles from our dealer and living in our rig full time until April. I have very low confidence that a mobile repair person will be able to resolve this based on all the possible causes I've read about. I need a beer...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brand new one acted similarly the other day for about ten minutes. Finally I turned the thermostat way up and it worked. Be sure to document everything up until it's repaired. You may get it covered since this is beginning a week prior to warranty running out. You already emailed GD so that is a record to get started. Good luck Brian...
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They chased that problem with ours for over a year, sometimes it would cycle eight or nine times before it stayed lit. The furnace was out and back four times before Atwood authorized a new furnace which has worked fine (touch wood). The dealer had it out twice and a RV repair shop in California the other two times.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsosan View Post
    They chased that problem with ours for over a year, sometimes it would cycle eight or nine times before it stayed lit. The furnace was out and back four times before Atwood authorized a new furnace which has worked fine (touch wood). The dealer had it out twice and a RV repair shop in California the other two times.
    Sorry you had to go through this. This is what I'm afraid will happen to me :-(
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a few possible trouble shooting problems.

BURNER IGNITES BUT IGNITION SYSTEM “LOCKS OUT” AND TURNS BURNER OFF
    Low gas pressure --------------------------------Set pressure to a minimum of 11˝ W.C. with all appliances running.
    Replace regulator if not obtainable.*
    Exhaust blocked ----------------------------------Clean exhaust.*
    Combustion air wheel loose ------------------Reposition wheel and tighten
    Electrodes out of adjustment ------------------Adjust electrode according to furnace specifications.
    Electrode defective ------------------------------Replace electrode.
    Circuit Board defective --------------------------Clean plug contacts. If still defective, replace. (Check on board tester
    when possible).
    Flame sensor wire between electrode ------Replace wire
    and circuit board defective
    Air leakage at gaskets --------------------------Replace gasket
    Defective heat exchanger ----------------------Replace heat exchanger

Low gas pressure --------------------------------Set pressure to a minimum of 11˝ W.C. with all appliances running.
    What was running last night, that wasn't running in the morning?

Check this too.
    Circuit Board defective --------------------------Clean plug contacts.

Was there a code on the circuit board?

The circuit board has three functions: create a spark, open the gas valve and lock-out when one
    of the prior two functions do not occur during the ignition cycle. As long as the circuit board is
    receiving the minimum micro-amps from the electrode assembly, it will not lock out. It has a 15
    second ignition delay as well. This delay allows the furnace to purge any unburnt gas in the
    combustion chamber before ignition occurs.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 years

ATWOOD MOBILE PRODUCTS
    hydro flame TM
    FURNACE LIMITED WARRANTY
    Atwood Mobile Products warrants to the original owner and subject
    to the below mentioned conditions, that this product will be free of
    defects in material or workmanship for a period of two years from
    the original date of purchase. Atwood’s liability hereunder is limited
    to the replacement of the product, repair of the product, or
    replacement of the product with a reconditioned product at the
    discretion of Atwood Mobile Products. This warranty is void if the
    product has been damaged by accident, unreasonable use, neglect,
    tampering or other causes not arising from defects in material
    workmanship. This warranty extends to the original owner of the
    product only and is subject to the following conditions:
    1. For two years from the date of purchase, Atwood will repair or
    replace any part defective in material or workmanship. This
    warranty includes reasonable labor charges required to remove and
    replace the part. Service calls to customer’s location are not
    considered part of these charges and are, therefore, the
    responsibility of the owner.
    2. This warranty does not cover the following items classified as
    normal maintenance:
    ADJUSTING - gas pressure, voltage, loose wire connections, and/or
    thermostat heat anticipator
    CLEANING - air wheels, burner and/or burner orifice
    CLEANING OR ADJUSTING - heat chamber, heat ducting, return air
    opening, and/or exhaust tubes
    3. In the event of a warranty claim, the owner must contact, in
    advance, either an authorized Atwood Service Center or the
    Atwood Service Department. Warranty claim service must be
    performed at an authorized Atwood Service Center (a list will be
    provided at no charge) or as approved by the Consumer Service
    Department, Atwood Mobile Products, 4750 Hiawatha Drive,
    Rockford, IL 61103-1298 USA.
    Phone: 815-877-5700

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Here is a few possible trouble shooting problems.
    Thanks for the detailed reply! I haven't attempted any repairs yet and won't until I hear from GD support. To answer your questions...

The only gas appliance we had running last night and this morning was the furnace. We use electric for the fridge and water heater and we're using the cooktop. I haven't looked for a code on the circuit board. I read somewhere that the circuit board isn't easy to get to so I didn't;t look into that any further. Again, I'm waiting to hear from customer support before I start tearing into it. I don't want to void the warranty.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    2 years
    OK, now I feel slightly better :-)
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might try giving the Atwood service center a call on Monday. They are usually very helpful.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been following all of these threads for quite a long time. I had a few of the same issues that you mentioned. In the end, I switched tanks and only draw from the drivers side. That has solved my problems with the furnace. The fact that I can't draw from either side actually works better for me, due to the fact that when I am out, I have to go outside and make the switch. It forces me to get the empty filled asap. It' an easy way to see if you have a propane related problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast