Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Satellite dish on roof

Has anyone tried to mount an auto finding satellite dish on the roof? If so wondering how you did it as far as mounting and wiring it. Assuming I can find one that's low profile enough, I'm Thinking that as I don't use the built-in antenna, take that line and use it to feed down into the master bedroom where my receiver is.

Even if that works not sure how I could mount to a rubber roof. Any thoughts?

Fish
    2016 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab
    Momentum 398m

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. You can either use a vent pipe or feed the wires thru the roof and down a wall. Each model is different, so you'll have to look around.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roofwires.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	6632
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And hope you don't park under that one branch that will prevent you from receiving signal.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search the forum - there's at least one other thread on the subject with a pretty detailed run-down of how the person did it. We use a carry-out type antenna for the reasons outlined by huntr70 above (though our last two or three stops and automatic antenna on the roof would have been nice).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Search the forum - there's at least one other thread on the subject with a pretty detailed run-down of how the person did it. We use a carry-out type antenna for the reasons outlined by huntr70 above (though our last two or three stops and automatic antenna on the roof would have been nice).

Rob
    Hi Rob.... again 🤣🤣🤣

I'm also considering the carry out antenna for the 399th, and am curious about a couple of things. Dish Networks has a carry out that appears to be an auto-tune and track.

The 399th has 4 TVs. We already have 2 receivers, and aren't contemplating buying more... yet. The plan is to move receivers around as needed. Chances are that will get old fast.

The dish we're looking at has 2 LNBs. The plan is 1 LNB serves living room and the patio TV, while the other will feed the bedroom and garage. There will never be more than 2 TVs on at one time. What I'm unclear on is whether there are provisions from the factory for a dual LNB setup in terms of internal wiring.

This is probably a question for the factory, but I thought I'd ask you since you're using the carry out dish. Your thoughts?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    Hi Rob.... again ������

I'm also considering the carry out antenna for the 399th, and am curious about a couple of things. Dish Networks has a carry out that appears to be an auto-tune and track.

The 399th has 4 TVs. We already have 2 receivers, and aren't contemplating buying more... yet. The plan is to move receivers around as needed. Chances are that will get old fast.

The dish we're looking at has 2 LNBs. The plan is 1 LNB serves living room and the patio TV, while the other will feed the bedroom and garage. There will never be more than 2 TVs on at one time. What I'm unclear on is whether there are provisions from the factory for a dual LNB setup in terms of internal wiring.

This is probably a question for the factory, but I thought I'd ask you since you're using the carry out dish. Your thoughts?
    That's not the way LNBs work. On a fixed (non-automatic) Dish Network antenna there is one LNB for each satellite (3) on each of Dish's arcs (eastern and western). It takes a separate LNB setup for each arc (eastern or western) - they are not interchangeable. The only automatic portable antenna with more than one LNB is the Winegard Trav'ler which mounts on the roof and costs about $1,400. The Trav'ler has three LBS and typically comes set up for the western arc (meaning you don't get locals for many eastern markets and, if you do, they're SD and not HD). All of the "carry out" style antennas only have one LNB and can only see one satellite at a time. The Winegard Pathway X2 is capable of picking up either the eastern or western arcs - but only one satellite at a time. It can also serve two receivers as long as both receivers are tuned to channels on the same satellite (not necessarily the same channel). I don't know of an automatic portable antenna that has more than one LNB, though. The Pathway X2 is the top of the line because it has the largest reflector and, therefore, the strongest signal in a given setting.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That's not the way LNBs work. On a fixed (non-automatic) Dish Network antenna there is one LNB for each satellite (3) on each of Dish's arcs (eastern and western). It takes a separate LNB setup for each arc (eastern or western) - they are not interchangeable. The only automatic portable antenna with more than one LNB is the Winegard Trav'ler which mounts on the roof and costs about $1,400. The Trav'ler has three LBS and typically comes set up for the western arc (meaning you don't get locals for many eastern markets and, if you do, they're SD and not HD). All of the "carry out" style antennas only have one LNB and can only see one satellite at a time. The Winegard Pathway X2 is capable of picking up either the eastern or western arcs - but only one satellite at a time. It can also serve two receivers as long as both receivers are tuned to channels on the same satellite (not necessarily the same channel). I don't know of an automatic portable antenna that has more than one LNB, though. The Pathway X2 is the top of the line because it has the largest reflector and, therefore, the strongest signal in a given setting.

Rob
    I have a Tailgater Pro now and watch satellites 119w and 110w at the same time, all the time. I know how they work. I once had a KVH dish on a boat that allowed me to watch those same satellites while underway. I'm looking specifically at the Pathway X2 for the new coach, because I don't want a roof-mounted dish.

My question was related to coach cabling, and if GD took multiple satellite inputs into consideration when wiring the coaches.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD has a homerun satellite cable to each of our 4 tv's from the convenience center (2017 395M). I have the Winegard Trav'ler and DirecTV Genie in mine. I only use one of the homerun wires to the main Genie box in the living room. My other TV's use Genie clients that are wirelessly connected to the Genie. The Trav'ler is a SWM setup with multi LNB so I can get all the sats at once and watch locals on one TV and nationals on another at the same time. Did not have that luxury with my portable. While I did have dual receiver capabilities, both had to be watching programming from the same satellite. Trav'ler eliminated that issue and works great for me. Had one site in three years where I was blocked by a branch and simply moved the rig a couple feet and was able to get signal.
    Last edited by jneubig; 11-10-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel