Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

397TH reviews, thoughts, input

Currently the DW and I are enjoying out 2800BH and can't wait for spring to get it back out and using again. During this winter down time we have done a lot of talking about being able to go full time when we are empty nesters and get out of Iowa for the winters for sure! Loving our Grand Design, we like their "bigger" offerings and would like to stay in the family as long as quality and support remains as it has been. Given that and thinking about our needs - office space, room for toys - bikes, kayaks, maybe another motorcycle, etc - we keep coming back to toy haulers. And given space we could use, I like the 397TH a lot. W/D in master instead of taking up garage space, windows in main living area, garage space, 2 bathrooms, etc.

So, just looking for input from those of you with the 397TH. Do you full time or just recreational use? How has the living space worked for you? Do you usually combine living and garage space for times you might have people around and have to be inside? How does that work for you? How have you used, configured, etc your garage space? How is the master bedroom and main bath space? Any and all input, including pictures you want to share would be appreciated. Things you wish were different or that you would do differently? Also, what are you pulling your 397TH with? Plan is diesel dually for sure, but is this a unit that really "needs" something like the F-450 to be comfortably safe, or is properly setup 1-ton dually sufficient? I am a Chevy guy at heart, but they have always been a bit lower on the tow ratings, although payload is pretty good. And the new L5P Duramax is getting great reviews. But I am not completely against looking at something like the F-450 to be safe when size isn't that much different, ultimately.

Also, did you do the extra fresh water tank on there? Have you figured out how to properly fill so you can get both fresh water tanks completely full? Has GD done anything with the design of that setup to facilitate easier filling? Or more of a hassle and just enjoy the 117 main tank? The holding tank sizes, especially grey and black, are another appealing feature for us for dry camping.

Thoughts, input? While a motorcycle is not priority, ease of storage and transport of bikes, kayaks, some workout equipment, etc is and not using other valuable storage space for those items or leaving outside makes a toy hauler appealing. And careful looking makes both state parks around here and other RV parks and boondocking areas not quite the issue for this size RV as it seemed to use to be.
    Eric & Andrea
    2016 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone said they weren't able to post in this thread. Just seeing if it is still active...
    Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it's not a 397TH, my family full-times in a 385TH. If we had to chose today, the 397TH would be high on our list.

A stock Ram 3500 DRW will handle it with no problems - no need for an F-450.

I like the full 12'6" garage in the 397TH. The theater seating/free-standing dinette are a great idea (we pulled the center seats from our super sofa and bought an inexpensive table from Ikea and some folding chairs for ours). The 397TH entertainment center and fireplace are in a better position, and having the W/D up front is a good thing (they are up front on either side of the closet in our 385TH).

There are a couple of drawbacks to the 397TH for us too. We have our daughter in a folding crib in the bedroom with us. In the 397TH, we'd have to move the crib to get to the W/D setup - not the end of the world, but we can work around it in our setup. We also have a set of panels we use as a playpen in the downstairs area. In our 385TH, there is plenty of room between the island and the door to the garage and the interior access door to the aft bathroom. In the 397TH, we'd have to put it in front of the dinette.

In the 385TH, you can get to that aft bathroom from the inside as well as the garage, and you can get to the loft bed via a built-in ladder that doesn't obstruct the door to the garage.

I don't know that helps much.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took us a year of shopping and looking at ALL the TH on the market when we finally narrowed our search between two and they were both GD. the 399TH and the 397TH. I have had my 397TH for almost a year. We ordered it new from the factory and couldn't be happier.

My wife and I are only recreational users of our TH, but we do use it quite often. I have a Harley Ultra Classic with the Biker Bar system so loading and unloading couldn't be easier. We also have a golf cart and two Hobie Mirage Kayaks that we bring occasionally. I have found that I can bring any combination of two toys, but not all three.
    I can't comment on the water tank issue. I have only whatever was loaded at delivery in the rear tank and no one has used the second bathroom yet, but I'm sure that day will come.
    I pull mine with a 2016 Ford F-350 DRW. I pulled the TH twice and quickly came to the realization that I needed to add the airbags in the rear. They were less than $500 and I was able to install them myself. The difference is night and day.
    If I had to mention any drawback at all is its size. The thing is a behemoth. Make sure wherever you decide to camp has the room to maneuver. I consider myself pretty good and on occasion I have had my "backing" challenges.
    Good luck with whichever you decide.
    Walt

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. It is all appreciated. I see us using the garage as office space plus storage for kayaks, bicycles, workout stuff, and maybe one day a nice golf cart or another motorcycle.

If we knew for sure no motorcycle or golf car and could fit the kayaks in somehow, might look at the 376TH for the front living area, but we really want a king bed and Luke kitchen/living all in same level. And 2 bathrooms if something else we want.

As for size, pretty everything giving what we want will be in that 40-44' range, so definitely just have to plan accordingly. I know the state parks we go to around here it would fit just fine as long as we pick the right spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eric & Andrea
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]