User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PEX Connections? What crimps/tools are you guys using?

I've done old-style copper sweating, etc. But never PEX. I see there are several type of connections, but that the "crimp" is the most economical, both for the rings/crimps and the tool. Which rings/tools are you using? Purchasing trailer (337?) this summer and trying to get up to speed. Everything is 1/2" PEX? I already have a list of mods I want to do, including the water pressure tank/accumulator. Thx.

James

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    James - Most folks will use Shark Bite fittings instead of a PEX tool and rings for the few times we make a modification or repair. The problem with trying to use a crimp tool in the area is a lack of space to open the crimp tool all the way up. If I can get access with my tool though, this is the one that I use:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Apollo-Mult...g-Tool/3572368

This tool has multiple head sizes which served me well when I was remodeling a bath and had to crimp some 3/4" PEX too.

For 1/2" rings, I use these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Vanguard-50...ttings/3130705

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense. thx. So can use crimp those copper rings around a plastic fitting? Or do you use brass fittings?

I see the other crimps that have "ears" on them that must be crimped like old auto-clamps? I assume those are less robust/desirable?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 27RL, a combination of PEX and what I only can describe as soft/flexible heater hose. Although it will fit into a Sharkbite fitting, based on my experience, do not use it. A day or so after I installed the fitting onto the tubing, I noticed the tubing had bulged significantly just behind the fitting.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    On my 27RL, a combination of PEX and what I only can describe as soft/flexible heater hose. Although it will fit into a Sharkbite fitting, based on my experience, do not use it. A day or so after I installed the fitting onto the tubing, I noticed the tubing had bulged significantly just behind the fitting.
    My experience as well when I tried to use a Sharkbite with a non PEX type hose. Leaked. Ended up using double gear clamps instead and a year later, still not leaking.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsosan View Post
    My experience as well when I tried to use a Sharkbite with a non PEX type hose. Leaked. Ended up using double gear clamps instead and a year later, still not leaking.
    I don't know what that hose is called. I've never been able to source it aftermarket. I did find some clear reinforced bulk hose at Lowes in the correct diameter that's held up now for 2 years.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I don't know what that hose is called. I've never been able to source it aftermarket. I did find some clear reinforced bulk hose at Lowes in the correct diameter that's held up now for 2 years.

I don't know what it is either. I did get some white reinforced hose from an RV supply and that is what I used with gear clamps.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding from a plumber friend is that the "crimp rings" are for metal fittings and the "cinch clamps" are for plastic fittings. My preference for making repairs would be the Sharkbite fittings, so much easier to work with.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
    My understanding from a plumber friend is that the "crimp rings" are for metal fittings and the "cinch clamps" are for plastic fittings. My preference for making repairs would be the Sharkbite fittings, so much easier to work with.
    Marvin - I believe you are correct on all three points

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sharkbite fittings may require some reverse engineering, they don't like to be stressed. Better to add a section actually push the PEX/plastic tubing into the Sharkbite fitting. Lesson learned with armature home plumbing repair.