User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Using Sygic Truck GPS App on the iPhone?

Hello everyone! I'm interested in using a truck/RV specific GPS system for the obvious benefit of avoiding low overpasses, etc. I've seen the well rated Garmin units which would certainly do the job, however, we already have the Furrion camera monitor and a TPMS monitor on our dash and really don't want to add another item up there.

I searched the App Store and found the Sygic App. Has a 14 day trial then an annual fee of >$100. Any thoughts? Anyone using or has tried using? Thanks!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of GPSs - always thought of them as one of the worst tech toys out there. Primarily because of their routing algorithms and lack of computer software. I spend more time working around what they want to get what I want.

I will I'll be using Low Clearance with an iPad running Pocket Earth.

Why
    Dont need yet another device
    iPad has bigger screen
    Easier to modify route to what I want versus what they want
    Off line maps
    $
    Works with Low Clearance
    ...and so much more

my $0.02 worth ��

/ed
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yattr0 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of GPSs - always thought of them as one of the worst tech toys out there. Primarily because of their routing algorithms and lack of computer software. I spend more time working around what they want to get what I want.

I will I'll be using Low Clearance with an iPad running Pocket Earth.

Why
    Dont need yet another device
    iPad has bigger screen
    Easier to modify route to what I want versus what they want
    Off line maps
    $
    Works with Low Clearance
    ...and so much more

my $0.02 worth ��

/ed
    Anyone use Low Clearance on their phone with Google Maps?
    Danny & Terri Austin TX
    2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC LWB 4x4 Duramax SRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yattr0 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of GPSs - always thought of them as one of the worst tech toys out there. Primarily because of their routing algorithms and lack of computer software.
    Garmin provides free mapping software (Basecamp) and you can easily create routes on your computer and upload them to the GPS. I've been using it for many years on motorcycles, cars and our RV. Using a GPS or a paper map still doesn't mean you don't have to think about your route in advance, though.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More $0.02...

Yes, have had many GPSs including Garmin and motorcycle variations. Currently have BMW Nav V (Garmin OEM) which integrates with my 2014 BMW R1200RTW (wet-head). Like you, have been using Basecamp for a long time. Yes, it is a step in the right direction if it only worked better than it does. I still use the Nav V because it is integrated in the fairing and intercom system

GPSs are routing algorithm oriented devices. Typically either fastest route or shortest route. On Garmin's motorcycle oriented GPS there is now curvy. What they all lack is meandering. Google had something like this where you could just click to add points to a route you created algorithm independent.

Garmin/Basecamp always starts with the algorithm approach with begin, end fastest, shortest, curviest. Basecamp gives you the option to add routing points to modify the route to your liking but always through the routing algorithm which become a very iterative process. On the Mac/OSX version of Basecamp, these routing points are added as waypoints with 30 minute stops. I have to adjust the time if no stop is desired. If in the process, I add an additional routing point, Basecamp will reset the stop time on entries already corrected (back to 30 minutes).

Then just when you think you have defeated the algorithms with all your editing, you move it to the GPS device and guess what? It recalculates the route on the GPS which may or may not modify the route. So you have to check the entire route and if modified return to Basecamp, tweak and repeat the process until you get the desired outcome. Trying to edit on the GPS directly is an exercise in frustration. Plus, each of the routing points, now waypoints, becomes a route segment which are independently selected. So when riding and you pass the end of a segment (which was to be nothing more than a routing point), the algorithm thinks you passed a waypoint and redirects you back to that point. *&^%$%^&!!!!

...and you get to pay premium dollars for all these great features. Not ready for primetime!

What I like about like Pocket Earth even though it is algorithm based with just fastest and shortest is that it in more like Google where changing the route is a simple drag and they do not become independent segments. It runs on all my iOS devices from which I can easily edit and even create the route without the frustration of dedicated GPS or GPS plus computer. And for this I pay significantly less money.

The same goes for Low Clearance. Rather than depend on the GPS company for whatever degree of clearance information they choose to make available and confound via their routing algorithm, I use a more extensive source that is algorithm independent.

Yes, this is a lot more efforts than using a RV (clearance and ...) based GPS but I always put a lot of planning and time into creating trips there corresponding routes.

I still use the Nav V mainly because it is integrated in to the fairing and intercom system of the BMW. But, as I improve my use of these other apps, I might be switching over to the iPhone instead (can also be tied in to the BMW intercom system)

I have always enjoyed planning routes and my use of GPSs, routing and mapping isn't just limited to the above. What I have evolved to for off roading (not algorithm based) makes all of the above seam extremely simple. There are some great apps to do amazing things with images (Google Earth...), raster maps, routes, tracks and GPS enabled devices like tablets and mobile phones.

Fun stuff...

Current;

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Low Clearance on my truck's nav system. Works great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Don and Donna
    "Spook" (1/2 Bichon, 1/2 American Eskimo)
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    2012 RAM 2500 HD Laramie 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 6 spd 4X4 S/B Crew Cab
    PullRite SuperGlide 16K
    Mopeka Bluetooth LPG Remote Tank Monitors
    TireMinder TPMS
    Performance Trailer Braking Titan Disc Brake Upgrade

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmagnus View Post
    I'm using Low Clearance on my truck's nav system. Works great.
    How does that work? How much of a warning do your get? I understand it just warns you of low clearances but doesn't route you around them. I understand it will work on devices that you can upload POIs to them.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    How does that work? How much of a warning do your get? I understand it just warns you of low clearances but doesn't route you around them. I understand it will work on devices that you can upload POIs to them.
    Yes, you upload them as POI's. It works with all lot of devices and map apps. You set the warning distance when you set up the poi's to load. I set mine a two miles, but one thing I don't like is that if you turn on to the road that has the low clearance, that is the first warning you get. For instance, on my way to work, I am on a highway that crosses a low clearance bridge. I get the two mile warning. But coming back the other way, I am in a town and don't turn on to that road until about 3 blocks from the bridge. That's when I get the warning!!!
    But for $50 - i'm satisfied
    Of course, you can look at your POI's and see it and I think it shows up on the map, but you have to do your own re-routing. I wouldn't trust the GPS' software to do that anyway. I was pulling a 35' travel trailer through KC last spring and it routed me through downtown because of a minor detour... I still carry the latest travel atlas so I have paper maps. Old pilot/sailor - don't trust these newfangled devices without paper backup.
    It would be nice to have something that would work like the Garmin's, etc. that I could load on my truck's nav system, but I don't really want another stick on screen on the dash. My Furrion camera is enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Don and Donna
    "Spook" (1/2 Bichon, 1/2 American Eskimo)
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    2012 RAM 2500 HD Laramie 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 6 spd 4X4 S/B Crew Cab
    PullRite SuperGlide 16K
    Mopeka Bluetooth LPG Remote Tank Monitors
    TireMinder TPMS
    Performance Trailer Braking Titan Disc Brake Upgrade

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know how it works, have't purchased it yet. Plan on trying it with the Chevy nav system, Garmin Nav V and Pocket Earth. My primary use will be Pocket Earth and maybe the chevy nav system if it works well.

I dislike vehicle integrated nav systems more than general GPSs...

..but if this works well with the Chevy system, then I'll use it for warnings but not routing...

Thanks...
    Current;

Past;

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the input!. Definitely want to go with something that only offers routes that fit my parameters. Have heard of horror stories with folks having to back down roads when encountering an obstruction.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast