Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vented dryer install

I am thinking of adding a washer & dryer to my 313 travel trailer. The dryer will be vented. Has anyone installed one on a GD and if so do they have any hints/tips and pictures to show to help me with this install? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Tony

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we installed our Splendide washer/dryer in our 313tt. It was very straight forward and not too complicated. You do need 2 90 degree water attachments for the cold and hot water lines. We also got Splendide's overflow pan under the washer and routed that to the outside

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the input/info. I'm sure it will help when the time comes for me to install.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed a vented dryer in our 318RST 5th wheel. Although a bit intimidating at first with the thought of cutting a hole in my new RV, it was actually simple. Once we had the dryer I carefully located where we wanted to cut the hole. In our case the dryer vented out the bottom and was about 4" off the floor of the closet. I contacted GD and asked if it was safe to drill a hole there and they said yes, there was nothing located inside the wall in that location. So, I drilled a pilot hole in the center of where I wanted the vent to go (from inside the RV) and then went outside to confirm it was where I expected it to be. I then put tape outside where I expected the hole to go to prevent chipping of the fiberglass and drilled the hole with a high quality hole saw blade. I don't recall what size the hole needed to be but this is the vent I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The hole ended up being very clean and it was very easy to cut through the side of the RV. Installing the vent was simple. Once that was done and hooked up to the dryer I put a small amount of caulking outside around the vent cover.

This is where it's located on our RV (street side up front):

Please ignore the goofy sideways photo below. I can't figure out how to get rid of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0956.jpg  
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info and the picture. Looks like you did a nice job!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished the washer/dryer install in my 321RL, so some pointers for anybody that comes across this post that's doing the same:

DRYER
    * If you use the Spendide dryer vent kit, the hole is 4". I had to drill with the hole saw from both sides. The wall was too think for the hole saw I was using and it would "bottom" out preventing any more cutting. Be sure to use a small 1/4" long-shaft drill bit to go all the way through to start as a pilot hole, so if you need to cut from both sides you are aligned up.
    * I put the hole exactly where the sticker from GD said to put the vent. If I had moved the center-point an inch to the right (toward front of RV), it would have hit an aluminum 2x2 "stud". Be careful if you deviate much.
    * Connect to electrical first then connect the vent. That dryer shelf is very tight.

WASHER
    * Check your drain works first!! GD uses a waterless vent (www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGJWz6ozQ3o) and at some point during construction or after, the membrane was folded back inside-out toward upstream from where it should be. In my case, when water was dumped from the washer, it was not heavy enough to fold that membrane back-- so instant clog! When I removed the vent access panel under the washer shelf, I opened up the vent and immediately saw the issue. Just used my finger to push the membrane back and no more issues.
    * Washer is heavy. PIA to move around, but install was pretty straight forward
    * All the connections are pretty long, so I'd recommend running a test load just with it sitting in the middle of the closet so you can keep an eye on you water/drain connections.
    * Water taps/shutoffs are pretty hard to get to when the washer is in place. Going to be a PIA to shut those off. At the top of my bottom storage area I can see the black drain pipe and water lines. I'm going to place a pair of shutoff valves there so they'd be very easy to shut off at that location instead.
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 321RL
    2022 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually