User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TL-Imagine View Post
    Hi-new to the GD forum and couldn't find a post (or anywhere in my manual) about what to do about the solar charging system and long term storage of the TT. I turned the red battery switch off. I also disconnected my battery from the cables. Anything else I should do or not do??
    I spoke to Battle Born about this yesterday. They said to charge the batteries to 100% and then disconnect them. I asked if removing the ground cable was the only thing that I need to do, and he said yes.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    I spoke to Battle Born about this yesterday. They said to charge the batteries to 100% and then disconnect them. I asked if removing the ground cable was the only thing that I need to do, and he said yes.

-B
    It is the case that some solar controllers need battery power to operate safely (ask how I know this). The Furrion controllers that GD often uses don't appear to have this requirement. But out of an excess of caution, I would recommend a disconnect between the panels and the controller, and a fuse/breaker between the controller and the batteries. Then when unhooking, disconnect the panels from the controller first, and then the battery can safely be disconnected as described above.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post

-B
    Just an FYI, I also have spoken with BattleBorns and received the same guidance. However, they also do not recommend keeping the batteries at 100% SOC (like extended storage with solar topping them off everyday or long term connection to shore power). This is one reason I will be installing a disconnect from the panel to the controller (beats working at night when the panel is dark). I already have a BlueSea but that shuts everything off to/from the batteries and doesn't give me enough flexibility.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner58 View Post
    Attachment 45801
    I put mine after controller don't think it matters really.
    If you use a breaker like this between panels and controller, just make sure that you solar array does not exceed 48V. It's not difficult to do if you run panels in series.
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I am running a 175-watt solar panel and want to disconnect the battery for the off-season, I need to disconnect the panel from the controller. Understanding this will possibly avoid damage to the controller when not hooked to the battery. Can someone advise of the size miniature circuit breaker I need? I am running 10 AWG wire if that matters. Saw I can get one on Amazon, but see a large number available and want to limit my need to my configuration.

Did see where someone pointed to the smseace brand, but missing the order ID.
    Last edited by terryriddle; 04-16-2023 at 01:07 PM.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    If I am running a 175-watt solar panel and want to disconnect the battery for the off-season, I need to disconnect the panel from the controller. Understanding this will possibly avoid damage to the controller when not hooked to the battery. Can someone advise of the size miniature circuit breaker I need? I am running 10 AWG wire if that matters. Saw I can get one on Amazon, but see a large number available and want to limit my need to my configuration.
    Was on the phone with Future Solutions, Inc Friday about this very topic. Their tech person recommended the following:

https://www.amazon.com/DIHOOL-Discon...92&sr=8-5&th=1

30Amps might be overkill for my 300watt, but it allows me to add another panel if I want and I did like the form factor.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Was on the phone with Future Solutions, Inc Friday about this very topic. Their tech person recommended the following:

https://www.amazon.com/DIHOOL-Discon...92&sr=8-5&th=1

30Amps might be overkill for my 300watt, but it allows me to add another panel if I want and I did like the form factor.
    Appreciate the input and will run with the 20Amps version. Let me ask you a question I just thought about. I assume that the 175-watt panel will have a positive and negative MC4 connector. My unit is prewired and I see the black and red lines in the front storage area, so one would assume the panel also has both as well. Never mind, that was a crazy question since I know panels can be wired in parallel or in series. Safe camping, my friend!
    Last edited by terryriddle; 04-16-2023 at 01:33 PM.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe camping, my friend!
    Same to you and if you come across any good RV campgrounds, we're down to Whispering Pines a couple of times a year to visit family! Been staying at the airport in Carthage - not terrible.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Same to you and if you come across any good RV campgrounds, we're down to Whispering Pines a couple of times a year to visit family! Been staying at the airport in Carthage - not terrible.
    Pik-N-Pig is open!! Are you talking about the campground there? We watched several planes land and take off while eating pulled pork. The best in NC. Came here almost 18 yrs ago when our daughter was carrying triplets and her husband was out of the country. Never went back to Fairfax County in Va outside DC. Not many campgrounds in this area. Was several years ago in Pinehurst, but that was bought by First Health and is now a medical facility by a small pond. Camped there when our daughter was looking for housing. They lived at Woodlake.
    Last edited by terryriddle; 04-16-2023 at 03:01 PM.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pik-N-Pig is open!! Are you talking about the campground there? We watched several planes land and take off while eating pulled pork. The best in NC. Came here almost 18 yrs ago when our daughter was carrying triplets and her husband was out of the country. Never went back to Fairfax County in Va outside DC. Not many campgrounds in this area. Was several years ago in Pinehurst, but that was bought by First Health and is now a medical facility by a small pond. Camped there when our daughter was looking for housing. They lived at Woodlake.
    Pik-N-Pig - Great - waiting for that to re-open. We were down late Jan through beginning of March (not in RV staying with daughter) and it was close to opening then. I think we missed it by a week. We stay at the airport with the RV - we'll be back this year on the way back from our trip west in September and maybe again later this spring.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast