User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    Ok, I have to throw a wrench into the works. We utilize a 90 gallon gravity feed tank in the bed of the truck. After pulling the 305RE for the last three years, I would not want to go back to a stock tank only, even though it's 37 gallons. The few times I have stopped for fuel with the trailer, it always brings out the pucker factor big time. Once or twice I have tried fueling in the truck stops, the entire time feeling intimidated by the truckers. Could be because I can't move as fast as they can, or whatever. With the extra fuel, I usually don't stop until the trailer is set up. The other thing to consider is not filling the tank all the way, if you are worried about the weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    Putting in an auxiliary tank is one of the best upgrades you can do. Especially if you have a tds fuel card. You can plan your trip out and find the best fuel prices. I save a ton of money this way. I have a tool/fuel box combo with a 60 gallon tank. I have been looking at the oem replacement tanks that go up to 60 gallons on a Ford. But I don't think I will go that route right now.
    This thread has had a good life... starting in December 2017 and still going..... I was going to stay out of this as I am an avid fan of an in-bed auxiliary tank but then this.....

I got a TDS card too (like Maximus216)

So now, with all the Loves truck stops plus a few others you can use with some pretty significant discounts and much better than Goodsam/Pilot/Flying J), those folks who choose not to upgrade to either a replacement tank or an auxiliary tank in the bed now have a lot of options. And they don't have to cram into fueling stations meant for folks not towing something (or those without a motorized RV).

So, maybe now it is OK to go sans-aux tank.

But - I still like my 37 galling RDS aux tank with a pump and circuit I built to pump 10 gallons upon each activation and then turn off (this prevents my absent mindedness from letting the tank overflow - I learned that the hard way). I get to choose when and where I stop and how long I choose to drive before filling up again rather than a fuel tank dictate that to me. I've found that most helpful when in the hinter-lands of the western states when in areas not close to interstates where truck stop tend to congregate and local stations get really proud of their fuel prices.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2016 F250 has a 26 gallon tank stock. That meant that I was having to start looking for fuel at ~150 miles (8.5mpg avg). Almost all of my route planning consisted of looking for fuel stops along the way. I carried a 5 gallon fuel can with me and have been very close to needing it on a couple of occasions when running uphill into the wind. We went on reserve between Quartzsite, AZ and Searchlite, NV about 15 miles out. I had a fuel can with me but that is an example of a situation I no longer wanted to have to deal with.

I recently replaced my stock OEM tank with a 50 gallon Titan. I can't tell you the peace of mind that simple purchase has given me. Our normal days are 250-300 miles and I no longer have to think about fuel stops during the day. We still like to stop every couple of hours and exercise ourselves and the dog for a few minutes but those stops no longer have to be at truck stops or gas stations. Now our stops are more at rest areas where there might be a little grass for our dog.

Having enough fuel is the single most comforting add-on I have bought. No regrets whatsoever on the purchase. And having a 900 mile plus reserve range when unloaded is a nice thing too. I buy fuel when the pricing looks good.
    Last edited by JColeman; 04-20-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    This thread has had a good life... starting in December 2017 and still going..... I was going to stay out of this as I am an avid fan of an in-bed auxiliary tank but then this.....

I got a TDS card too (like Maximus216)

So now, with all the Loves truck stops plus a few others you can use with some pretty significant discounts and much better than Goodsam/Pilot/Flying J), those folks who choose not to upgrade to either a replacement tank or an auxiliary tank in the bed now have a lot of options. And they don't have to cram into fueling stations meant for folks not towing something (or those without a motorized RV).

So, maybe now it is OK to go sans-aux tank.

But - I still like my 37 galling RDS aux tank with a pump and circuit I built to pump 10 gallons upon each activation and then turn off (this prevents my absent mindedness from letting the tank overflow - I learned that the hard way). I get to choose when and where I stop and how long I choose to drive before filling up again rather than a fuel tank dictate that to me. I've found that most helpful when in the hinter-lands of the western states when in areas not close to interstates where truck stop tend to congregate and local stations get really proud of their fuel prices.
    did you buy a circuit board online or build your own? I have the upfitter switches in my ford and it usually takes about 40 minutes to fill my tank. so you can imagine after 30 minutes i sometimes forget.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    nevermind, i found your diagram and pics on the ford forum. i actually responded to your post a while back. but that looks a little complicated for just a timer that auto shuts off and then resets itself when i turn the upfitter switch off and on again.
    Last edited by Maximus216; 04-20-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    would something like this work with the upfitter switches? i would connect it at the location under the hood. would have to find an enclosure of it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would something like this work with the upfitter switches? i would connect it at the location under the hood. would have to find an enclosure of it.
    Yes on the upfitter switches. That's exactly how I did mine. The wire are out under the hood. A little hard to find, lower side on driver side is where I found them on my 2013.

I should add: I have a Transfer Flow Aux Tank, running the Trax 2 controller. So, I do not have to worry about filling or over filling.
    If I do not want to use the transfer tank, I shut off the upfitter switch. If I want to transfer I turn it on.
    Last edited by Superduty; 04-21-2020 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Adding information on Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
    Yes on the upfitter switches. That's exactly how I did mine. The wire are oout under the hood. A little hard to find, lower side on driver side is where I found them on my 2013.
    i forgot to attach the link for the timer. Here it is. looks like it would work unless it loses its memory when i turn off the upfitter switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Hour-Digital-.../dp/B0792XP5FW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nevermind, i found your diagram and pics on the ford forum. i actually responded to your post a while back. but that looks a little complicated for just a timer that auto shuts off and then resets itself when i turn the upfitter switch off and on again.
    I had a simple timer to begin with. But after starting the transfer by activating the upfitter switch and then stopping the truck and then getting back in and restarting the truck for another errand and forgetting to deactivate the switch (fuel transfer) I overflowed the main tank. wine - because I'm a slow learner. It's messy when it is over filled and you pull into your garage.

So now, as you've seen on the Ford forum (and to help others here understand) I have to turn the upfitter switch on then press a momentary switch to start the timer and pump (and fuel control valve from the tank). After my set time the timer ends and through some relays turns off power to the pump and the control circuit (timer). So if I forget to turn off the upfitter switch the pump doesn't start again.

Yes - a bit involved, but no more accidental circuit spills.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I want more than the factory 34 gallon tank as well, but don't want a transfer tank in the bed, I started looking around. Titan has a special going on right now on the 55 gallon.

http://titanfueltanks.com/ford-crew-...l-tank-7020217
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Ram 3500 SRW 32 gallons is just right ... stop every 2-3 hrs ...later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast