User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Westlake tire failure?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, tread separation or blowout

33 25.58%
  • No

76 58.91%
  • I replaced my Westlake tires with something else

20 15.50%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Westlakes .... 'nuff said. Why bother to continue that conversation? I'm sure you will be happy with your Goodyears, but just wanted to point out that all Chinese products are not junk. By the way, where is the Endurance line manufactured?

Oh I agree its become an old subject....but my purpose wasn't to re-hash it, but rather Im sure there are other people like myself, who believe that proper maintenance is the answer. Clearly that's not the case.
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS
    2023 Ford F350 CCLB 6.7 Diesel w/B & W Companion 3300 hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertS377 View Post
    Oh I agree its become an old subject....but my purpose wasn't to re-hash it, but rather Im sure there are other people like myself, who believe that proper maintenance is the answer. Clearly that's not the case.
    Given the number of Westlakes failures, many with owners saying the tires were properly inflated, many using a TPMS, a fair number of tread separations with the tire casing still inflated after the failure, laying blame on maintenance would not be my conclusion.

With the posts I see here and on FB it appears many failures are occurring in spite of religious attention to pressure, use of TPMS, and inspections at most every stop.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post was informative and useful. Thanks for posting.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was ambiguous with my comment. Your comment was right on the money and very valuable - especially the pictures. My frustration is that these tires keep failing, the tires are clearly sub-par, the reports of failures keep piling up and yet we have folks here who will continue to defend this tire, which in turn leads to even more disputes about these tires. My comment was essentially "another Westlake failure - nothing to see here - let's just move on and buy quality tires". Let's just take the reports for what they are and move on. In short, I personally didn't want to get into what I just got into (and have done in the past) - discussing the product. Obviously, folks can discuss (and buy) whatever they wish - just a little of my personal frustration showing through - I always have the option of un-subscribing from the thread. I should have just bitten my tongue and wished you luck with the new tires.

Sorry if I made you feel that your comment was not necessary.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since GDRV has upgraded some units from E rated to G rated there may be an application/overload situation as well as a suspect gum strip that holds this skin on. I sold mine and am glad I did since this tread separation is a big concern. Same as the upgrades to Imagine suspensions from 3500 to 4400 lb axles and springs. I would rather GDRV overbuild a little, provide quality tire and suspension that comfortably carries the loads, than to keep selling units with a subpar safety factor. I prefer to buy American when I can to help our growing economy. If I have an issue with my Goodyear Endurance tires, they can be found in Akron, Ohio and their name remains the same over time. Chinese products (not all but many) can have what's called "quality creep" where they cheapen up a product at the expense of the customer.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Since GDRV has upgraded some units from E rated to G rated there may be an application/overload situation as well as a suspect gum strip that holds this skin on. I sold mine and am glad I did since this tread separation is a big concern. Same as the upgrades to Imagine suspensions from 3500 to 4400 lb axles and springs. I would rather GDRV overbuild a little, provide quality tire and suspension that comfortably carries the loads, than to keep selling units with a subpar safety factor. I prefer to buy American when I can to help our growing economy. If I have an issue with my Goodyear Endurance tires, they can be found in Akron, Ohio and their name remains the same over time. Chinese products (not all but many) can have what's called "quality creep" where they cheapen up a product at the expense of the customer.
    Just want to point out that Goodyear (being headquartered in Akron OH) has manufacturing plants all over the world - South America, Central America, Asia, Europe, etc.

Also, American "quality" (a very nebulous term in my tiny mind) can have "creep" also. Quality can "creep" both ways - it can deteriorate or it can improve.

If I have a problem with my Sailuns, help can be found at the exact same place I bought them. And. I've never had a problem with this Chinese product.

Finally, you can't judge a product anymore by where it's made - do you think your amazing and extremely reliable cell phone was made in America? My Power Stroke engine? Mexico. You need to judge quality on performance. Prefer to buy American? Me too, BUT if a Chinese product performs better than it's American counterpart, guess who gets the business.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to point out that Goodyear (being headquartered in Akron OH) has manufacturing plants all over the world - South America, Central America, Asia, Europe, etc.

Also, American "quality" (a very nebulous term in my tiny mind) can have "creep" also. Quality can "creep" both ways - it can deteriorate or it can improve.

If I have a problem with my Sailuns, help can be found at the exact same place I bought them. And. I've never had a problem with this Chinese product.

Finally, you can't judge a product anymore by where it's made - do you think your amazing and extremely reliable cell phone was made in America? My Power Stroke engine? Mexico. You need to judge quality on performance. Prefer to buy American? Me too, BUT if a Chinese product performs better than it's American counterpart, guess who gets the business.
    If I had a tire defect that caused great harm or worse, my lawyers know where to find Goodyear. Good luck with legal action on someone based in Qingdao, China.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    If I had a tire defect that caused great harm or worse, my lawyers know where to find Goodyear. Good luck with legal action on someone based in Qingdao, China.
    Thanks for the good wishes. Me - I'm all set. By the way - I don't think I'll ever see a catastrophic failure with these top quality tires (but of course it could happen, just as I could get hit by a falling brick), but if your main concern when choosing tires is not the best product but rather who to sue then I say - your money, your choice. By the way, I REALLY don't want to turn this into a legal argument thread, but good luck suing Goodyear - I don't think they'd roll over for you. You can find them ... so what? I'm sure they get sued almost daily - now go ahead and prove that tire caused the problem.

Not something I have the time or inclination to worry about because I did my homework and made what I feel is the safest, best choice, as I'm sure you did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was ambiguous with my comment. Your comment was right on the money and very valuable - especially the pictures. My frustration is that these tires keep failing, the tires are clearly sub-par, the reports of failures keep piling up and yet we have folks here who will continue to defend this tire, which in turn leads to even more disputes about these tires. My comment was essentially "another Westlake failure - nothing to see here - let's just move on and buy quality tires". Let's just take the reports for what they are and move on. In short, I personally didn't want to get into what I just got into (and have done in the past) - discussing the product. Obviously, folks can discuss (and buy) whatever they wish - just a little of my personal frustration showing through - I always have the option of un-subscribing from the thread. I should have just bitten my tongue and wished you luck with the new tires.

Sorry if I made you feel that your comment was not necessary.
    Absolutely no worries Dick. Very kind of you to apologize but completely unnecessary. All messenger boards are easy to misinterpret, would be better off if we could all do this in person of course but obviously not possible

Anyway safe travels to you
    Bob

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good wishes. Me - I'm all set. By the way - I don't think I'll ever see a catastrophic failure with these top quality tires (but of course it could happen, just as I could get hit by a falling brick), but if your main concern when choosing tires is not the best product but rather who to sue then I say - your money, your choice. By the way, I REALLY don't want to turn this into a legal argument thread, but good luck suing Goodyear - I don't think they'd roll over for you. You can find them ... so what? I'm sure they get sued almost daily - now go ahead and prove that tire caused the problem.

Not something I have the time or inclination to worry about because I did my homework and made what I feel is the safest, best choice, as I'm sure you did.
    My choice was first to find the best tire which I believe I did. Second was to support an American company who employs folks to build my American made tires. And thirdly, If there was ever an issue with safety or a crash issue due to a tire defect, I know where to find them. It is unlikely this would occur thankfully. I will continue to support the USA as best I can even while paying more.
    Last edited by howson; 11-06-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Moderator's discretion.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast