User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Things to be aware of: Propane contains less energy than gasoline So generators using it put out quite a bit less power... And get worse econonmy as well. For me, the inverter generators have paid for themselves in fuel savings alone The benefits are a bonus.

Propane DOES have one big benefit for the casual user. No carb. gumming. his is an issue for those that do not use their gas generators very often. There are ways around it, gas treatment, and running the carb dry... But is an extra task to do.
    Propane puts out about 10% less, so I would not call it "quite a bit less". With that being said, this is the one I have. It has never seen gasoline (except when it was tested upon assembly by the manufacturer). For me, the propane is a no brainer, don't have to worry about gummed up fuel system when storing it for long periods of time and don't have to carry smelly gas cans in the bed of my truck. The advantages far outweigh the small 10% loss in power.

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com...ator-dual-fuel
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Propane puts out about 10% less, so I would not call it "quite a bit less". With that being said, this is the one I have. It has never seen gasoline (except when it was tested upon assembly by the manufacturer). For me, the propane is a no brainer, don't have to worry about gummed up fuel system when storing it for long periods of time and don't have to carry smelly gas cans in the bed of my truck. The advantages far outweigh the small 10% loss in power.

There are other power losses to consider as well. Altitude. As you go up, you get less output. Temperture. As the temperture climbs output goes down. at the same time your AC will draw more power.
    You may not be able to control those two power losses, but you can control which fuel you use.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback and input. That is exactly the generator I was looking at but my question isn't so much about the dual fuel option (I've made my mind up about that) but more about igen vs regular generator. The igen is $1149 but the same dual fuel generator is $599, so half the cost. Is it worth double the money for an inverter generator compared to a regular generator? Would love your perspective.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go bigger, make sure it is RV prepped so you can plug it in and run everything. We have a Champion 3400 watt I can run the whole trailer as we use it (not everything on at once) including ac, with the gen on propane.

If you know for sure your power requirements will stay as stated, I wouldn’t be afraid of a smaller generator. They use less fuel, are quieter, cheaper, and easier to move around. If there is a chance you might want more though, it’s not a big leap up in price to buy bigger now. It is possible to parallel some of the smaller ones as well. As an example, the Champion 2500 watt dual fuel inverter is under 500 and parallel capable. Just one example, I think yours mentioned above is the same. Buy the smaller one, it’ll probably be enough - but you have the option to get a second if needed later on.

In your shoes, if price conscious, I would buy the smaller inverter 10/10 times versus the larger traditional genset. You’ll get tired of the noise, and forget it if you have any neighbors within 200 yards. Plus the inverters are easier on fuel which adds up fast.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 03-29-2021 at 02:42 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    As an example, the Champion 2500 watt dual fuel inverter is under 500 and parallel capable. Just one example, I think yours mentioned above is the same. Buy the smaller one, it’ll probably be enough - but you have the option to get a second if needed later on.
    This is exactly what I’ve been on the fence about. I’m waiting on a delivery of a 2910BH with two AC units. I’ve thought about getting a single Champion 2500W DF generator and installing easy starts on both AC units. However, for the price of 2 easy starts, I can get an additional 2500W to connect them in parallel and I would think this would be enough to power both units at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this
    We’ve been extremely happ with our Westinghouse 4500 df. Cummins model is exactly the same. Powers everything. Can use micro with air conditioning together. Remote start and 18 hour run time

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...EaAmLqEALw_wcB
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inverter generator hands down.....it produces safe/clean pure AC sine wave power and will not harm any of your sensitive electronics. Also, the RPM of an inverter generator will vary based on the load demand compared to most all conventional generators which run at full RPM constantly. This means the inverter generator is going to be much more efficient and quieter when running less than max loads.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    There are other power losses to consider as well. Altitude. As you go up, you get less output. Temperture. As the temperture climbs output goes down. at the same time your AC will draw more power.
    You may not be able to control those two power losses, but you can control which fuel you use.
    True, and I also have the high altitude kit. I haven't had to use it yet. As far as the A/C goes, the compressor either runs or it doesn't. Since the Furrion A/C units have a "soft start" feature, it's not a problem. In fact, I probably could have gone with a smaller unit but wanted the extra reserve. As they say, "go big or go home".
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also consider the weight of the generator and how it will be put in and removed from the truck bed. I went with 2 of the Honda 2200i units that can run in parallel to start our HVAC unit in the 2150RB. They are 50 pounds each. If you tweak your back just once on a trip loading and unloading a bigger generator that trip will cease to be a vacation.

I ran them for 3 days straight during our deep freeze event in Texas last month and they saved our pumphouse piping with a heat lamp and ran a small space heater in the house during extended power outage. I'm very happy with them.

Best wishes.

Joe
    Joe and Sheryl Fabrygel

2018 Imagine 2015RB - "Let the good times roll"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, and I also have the high altitude kit. I haven't had to use it yet. As far as the A/C goes, the compressor either runs or it doesn't. Since the Furrion A/C units have a "soft start" feature, it's not a problem. In fact, I probably could have gone with a smaller unit but wanted the extra reserve. As they say, "go big or go home".
    I have and use the High altitude jets. As an FYI those jets do not restore the performance loss over sea level operation. There is less oxygen up high, so there will be less power. All the smaller jets do is put the fuel/air mix back to specs. Not really a performance factor as it can actually put out more power running a little rich. It IS definently an emissions issue, and more importantly a plug fouling issue. fouling the plug on a small single cylinder motor is probably the most common reason for problems
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast