User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled our 37’ Montana High Country with a 2017 F250 CC LB Diesel and it was plenty of truck. However, I should have bought the F-350 then. Traded up to a 42’ solitude and the truck tow rating Of the F-250 was just under the need. Ended up swapping up to the F-350 DRW LB CC Diesel and don’t anticipate every needing an upgrade. Should have started there. F-350 DRW Is a beast!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I’m one of those who has had to learn the hard way. Being brand new to the RV scene, I bought a 8,500 lb. trailer in 2014 and let the sales person talk me in to an F-150. On a trip over the Rocky’s, the only thing I passed going up hill was a fully loaded logging truck. Came home and immediately bought a 2014 Ram 2500 diesel short bed. Of course, then I could buy a heavier RV, right? Bought a 2016 303 rlr and use a superglide hitch. While the combination is adequate, I wouldn’t want to tow even another 100 lb. I’m by myself and never travel with more than 1/3 tank of emergency water with everything else dry. Four years later and now I would really like the Solitude 310, but there’s no way the 2500 can tow it. If I can’t talk myself out of it (I am very happy with the 303, but lust after bigger/fancier/better), I’ll soon be a member of the three truck, three RV club and will have taken a bath every single time.
    Last edited by Janiceknight1; 06-10-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Canadiansteelman;300082 We see Dodges in our rear view mirror going up the mountains in west Virginia😉[/QUOTE]

It's always a good idea to check mirrors for vehicles passing you in the fast lane...

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in the same situation last summer. We had ordered a 303RLS. The RV dealer told us that a 3/4 ton would be more than enough so we signed up for a 2019 F250 Platinum. When the truck arrived and we checked the payload on the door sticker we were shocked to see that the max payload was 2100 lbs. The published pin weight of the 303 was 1725 lbs which would have left us with less than 400 lbs for passengers, fuel, hitch, etc. We immediately switched to an F350 Platinum with 3371 lbs payload. Don’t rely on the truck maufacturers published specs. You have to look at the actual figures for the individual truck.
    We actually got tired of waiting for the 303 (6+ weeks) and bought s Solitude 344GK off the lot. And now our F350 is barely enough truck. Looking to get an F450 later this year.
    Good luck and be safe.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a nobody in the RV world - just getting my feet wet in it - don't even have my first RV yet. So I've got about $.02 of opinion to offer. I researched, test drove, watched youtube reviews and made spreadsheets to analyze what truck would be the right truck for our long term RVing. A big part of my decision process was putting safety way ahead of capacity. My most valuable possessions would be traveling with me, so I wanted to be safe first and foremost. After driving gas and diesel trucks (all HD) from GM and Ford, I quickly concluded that a diesel truck was what I needed to look at. The modern diesel can pull anything under the sun - way more than the biggest gas motor AND they have much more capabilities controlling down hill descent via the engine brake. So then it is 3/4 or 1 ton? SRW or DRW? Our first trailer likely will be a 312BHTS. With a diesel, our expected cargo and the tongue weight of a loaded trailer, we would be kissing capacity in an F250 Crew Cab, so I eliminated the 3/4 truck as an option. Now the question was SRW or DRW. An F350 in SRW would easily handle our first trailer and likely would be fine with our second - likely a larger 5th wheel (we are treating the 312 (used) as the learner permit trailer...), but the DRW is just a couple $k more and those extra dollars add so much more to the truck. Payload capacity is plentiful and stability with a larger 5th wheel is so much better than with an SRW. We also looked hard at a F450 because of the turning capability, but in the end went with a 2020 F350 Crew Cab Lariat DRW because of proximity and availability. The DRW does take some getting use to, but if a guy that drives a VW GTI daily can manage, anyone can. The DRW option on a 1 ton truck is the way to go in my mind if there is even a .01% of a RV upgrade in the future. Buy your tow vehicle 1 time.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got a 2019 303RLS and pull with a 3500 HD GMC Denali C/C short box with a slider hitch. My wife and I are very happy with this setup. No problems experienced so far.

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm a nobody in the RV world - just getting my feet wet in it - don't even have my first RV yet. So I've got about $.02 of opinion to offer. I researched, test drove, watched youtube reviews and made spreadsheets to analyze what truck would be the right truck for our long term RVing. A big part of my decision process was putting safety way ahead of capacity. My most valuable possessions would be traveling with me, so I wanted to be safe first and foremost. After driving gas and diesel trucks (all HD) from GM and Ford, I quickly concluded that a diesel truck was what I needed to look at. The modern diesel can pull anything under the sun - way more than the biggest gas motor AND they have much more capabilities controlling down hill descent via the engine brake. So then it is 3/4 or 1 ton? SRW or DRW? Our first trailer likely will be a 312BHTS. With a diesel, our expected cargo and the tongue weight of a loaded trailer, we would be kissing capacity in an F250 Crew Cab, so I eliminated the 3/4 truck as an option. Now the question was SRW or DRW. An F350 in SRW would easily handle our first trailer and likely would be fine with our second - likely a larger 5th wheel (we are treating the 312 (used) as the learner permit trailer...), but the DRW is just a couple $k more and those extra dollars add so much more to the truck. Payload capacity is plentiful and stability with a larger 5th wheel is so much better than with an SRW. We also looked hard at a F450 because of the turning capability, but in the end went with a 2020 F350 Crew Cab Lariat DRW because of proximity and availability. The DRW does take some getting use to, but if a guy that drives a VW GTI daily can manage, anyone can. The DRW option on a 1 ton truck is the way to go in my mind if there is even a .01% of a RV upgrade in the future. Buy your tow vehicle 1 time.
    You're not a nobody, you're here. Welcome. Solid info, good research!
    Welcome to the forum.
    Jim
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spray Hawk808. Great research on your part. Many people post that their TV handles their RV with no problems but common sense tells you that they are either pushing the limits or have gone way past them.
    I love my GMC 3500 but well done on your Ford choice. There may be some unsafe people on the road, but it doesn’t sound like you’ll be in that category 👍
    Last edited by Upthere; 06-10-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a 303RLS with a 2016 LWB SRW Crew Cab F-350 Diesel. We picked out the trailer first but couldn't do both at the same time. We had the truck for 2-1/2 years before the trailer upgrade. I couldn't ask for a better combination. We towed to Cape Breton Island last year and it handled the steep, narrow inclines with ease. I have the 11,5000 GVWR package and we don't pack real heavy. We still have empty cabinets in the camper. No worries regarding payload or tow capacity here.

Downside - The 8' bed and long wheelbase can make getting into a tight site a chore. I wanted the long bed and crew cab so it was a conscious choice.
    Bruce and Lynn - South Central PA
    2016 F-350 Lariat Crew - 6.7L PS, 4WD, SRW, LWB
    B & W Companion
    2019 Relection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current owner of 303RLS. Great unit. Pulling it with a 2018 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 6.75' bed with Anderson Hitch. This truck pulls the 303 like it isn't even there. Will gain speed going uphill if you're not paying attention. More than satisfied with the set up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast