User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    The rule of thumb I have always used is let the EGT get down to 350*F before shutting down in order to prevent coking/carbon build up on the turbo. It only takes a few minutes or less usually when towing but YMMV. If you don't have a gage, then more minutes is safer than less...
    Just ordered a Banks iDash 1.8, but I’m not sure what the turbo temp is...is it the EGR or EGT? This this has so parameters I can monitor. Turbo was my primary concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exhaust gas temperature with the sensor before the Turbo
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 12-26-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstchilln View Post
    I'm new to a diesel (2020 F350 SRW) and learning more and more everyday and slowly building up my knowledge base of a lot of Do's and Dont's. I learned a lot off of the "DEF" post a few days ago and want to do all I can to keep my engine running good for years to come.
    Does anyone have any good links to diesel cool down and turbo cool down. Our shop mechanics used to tell us that the worst thing we could do for our fire engines was to run them as hard as we did from a cold start and shut them down quickly after a call. They always told us to let the engine sit for five minutes and let it cool down and it would help out with the life of the engine and the turbo. I've read the same with my 6.7 engine that I should let it cool down after pulling a load and working the engine hard but how does this apply to everyday driving. Is the turbo working after running around town and the engine is up to operating temperature and should I allow for a cool down after around town driving or even an hour on the highway under no load? I looked through the gauges and was surprised to see there isnt a turbo temperature gauge.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all.
    If you put your truck VIN # in the searchers, it will bring up your vehicle and you can download the owners manual. Save it for off line reading. Hope this helps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Amazing! I had a 2004 6.0L F250 and that thing had the turbo replaced 3 times in 24 months. Same engine as you but a completely different experience. The variable vanes would stick, blow the o/p pipe off the turbo. Pulling a 5th wheel with a turbo diesel with a non functioning turbo is enlightening as to how much the turbo contributes to power generation.

To the OP, just regular driving I do not idle the truck after arriving at my destination. After pulling a trailer down the hwy, I always idle for at least 5 minutes. I'm told the oil in the turbo bearings literally boils off from heat if you don't.
    As an engineer, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I been doing it that way for XX years and never had a problem!". To an engineer, this is received as "don't care about your careful calculations, designs and R&D, I'm going to do it my way". Anyway, The owners manual for my '17 F-350 specifically states that a coul-down period is required after driving with a load. I'll stick with the suggestions of the folks who designed the vehicle.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same as others above in our 18 f250 6.7. When towing our 337 the engine is never turned off for fuel stops/bathroom stops. So jealous of the ones that have the 60 gallon tanks
    By the time you get to your camping spot and get backed in/pulled through and ready to unhook the engine has had plenty of time to cool down. Same for any type of heavy towing of other trailers. Just let the engine run a bit.
    For in town running around I just start and stop without issue. Truck is not under any load so the turbo is fine.
    Enjoy your truck! They are amazing tow vehicles and once you've towed with a diesel engine it's hard to ever go back to gas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my 7.3L Powerstroke for 23 years and it tows heavy loads frequently between 5th Wheels, equipment trailers and dump trailers. I have always let the EGT's cool down to 350* before shutting down the engine. Still on the original turbo.
    Erik & Julie
    2020 Momentum 328G, Solar, W/D
    2022 F350 Platinum Tremor - 6.7l Powerstroke, S&B 60 Gal Tank, Many Mods
    1997 F250/350 7.3l Powerstroke, ZF5, 4.10 LS, Custom Built - Heavily Modified

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BackCountry View Post
    I've had my 7.3L Powerstroke for 23 years and it tows heavy loads frequently between 5th Wheels, equipment trailers and dump trailers. I have always let the EGT's cool down to 350* before shutting down the engine. Still on the original turbo.
    None of us will ever own a truck with an engine like the old 7.3. My brother has a 350dually 7.3 that has close to 400k on it and still going strong.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Tim View Post
    One of the tests on a dyno was to run the engine at 1400 degrees F turbine inlet temp for 20 minutes and bring it to idle and quickly shut it off, let heat soak for 10 minutes then start up and as soon as you obtained oil pressure, go to full load max RPM.

Tim
    That hurts just thinking about it.

Having flown turbine helicopters for 25 years it's just in my nature to let temps stabilize before shut down. I use this thinking with any air cooled engine (from turbines to lawn mowers). A liquid cooled engine is much more forgiving, but a turbo charger can be thought of as an air cooled system.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    That hurts just thinking about it.

Having flown turbine helicopters for 25 years it's just in my nature to let temps stabilize before shut down. I use this thinking with any air cooled engine (from turbines to lawn mowers). A liquid cooled engine is much more forgiving, but a turbo charger can be thought of as an air cooled system.
    Plus, the 2 minute cool-down gives you time to heat up your C-Rats in the exhaust pipe.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    If you have a remote start feature, you can shut the truck off, and within seconds remotely start it...
    Which locks the doors and lets it idle away, running the HVAC system, as well as allowing the turbo bearings (the reason to idle it) to cool down while oil is still being circulated through them....
    Since the OP has a current Super Duty, he doesn't even have to shut off first. He could just step out and hit the bottom two buttons on the door panel. They'll lock the truck. However the horn will honk twice to let you know you left the truck in a running state with your key.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12