0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that makes sense. Thx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    Hello to all!

So, we are in the process of determining exactly what we want in a Solitude 380FL. However, as I read through posts, I am totally questioning whether or not to even go with GD. From visits to RV shows and dealerships, the quality of GD RVs was still above other ones we have seen. Yet, many comments in these forums seem to indicate considerable problems. Is this common for any brand of RV? While it may be blasphemy here, does anyone recommend a different RV?

Many thanks to all the wonderful members here.

v/r

TexSol20
    I have had a number of RV's over the years starting out with a tent trailer working up to the Momentum I purchased in 2019. All have had issues ranging from molding to bubbles in the flooring, screw heads all over the floor after travel due to over torquing etc. Trips and long waits back to the dealership for fixes. My Momentum is the first one I have ever had leak from the start. In fact, prior to finding the leak I had posted on the GD forum that the quality matched or was better than any other brand I had purchased, and I still believe that in much of the workmanship and give them praise for this. There are still molding issues and a few of the normal items I have experienced in other brands with the Momentum and I expected/anticipated this. One of the reasons I went with GD is due to comments on forums such as this of the quality, reviewing their website which included a description of their PDI process and I was impressed. Now, after working with GD and the dealership service center early on after my purchase to obtain fixes for the leaking slides which to this date has not been fixed (I keep it covered most the time now). I reflect back and ask the question "did I make the right decision purchasing the Momentum?" It defiantly fulfills my needs in that I now can haul my quads from Washington state to Utah for the yearly meet up with my family. We made this journey in August of 2019 and I was very impressed how the trailer performed in the 1700+ mile journey along with over a week of boon-docking (I was not impressed with the water tank siphoning issue which is covered in this forum via multiple threads), it also fulfills my needs for fall/winter hunting (which my previous trailer did but did not have the hauling capability). So again I ask myself "was it the right decision?" I will continue to work to fix the leaking issues and maintain my trailer. I plan not to engage GD or the dealership for any assistance (I did purchase an extended warranty but will not utilize the dealership if a fix is need, I will find another qualified service center). The reason for this is the lack of customer service from both parties. I admit GD was willing to write a check but unwilling to do the leg work to fix the issue, the responsibility has always been put on me the customer to make the arrangement, pull the trailer, put the money up front to make the fixes and then settle with GD. If you ask why not utilize the service center at the purchasing dealership? They could not replicate the leaking in the slides.....it took me less than 5 minutes to get a hose with a sprinkler adapter to simulate rain and have water pouring through the slides into the RV. I would never have them work on my trailer after this. So again (last time now) "did I make the right decision purchasing the Momentum?" It fulfills my needs, but between the cost of the RV and a new truck to pull it I could have bought a nice piece of cabin property or stayed in some pretty good hotels while vacationing. Ultimately, you have to consider what you want, knowing full well you will have problems, it will take away from your travels, time will be spent dealing with warranty issues, service centers, down time when your RV is not available. The RV business model is to build as quickly and cheaply as possible, make it look good for the showroom floor and then let the service center deal with the issue after the sale. If you go in knowing this and are willing to deal with this then yes, go for the RV. If not, then consider an alternative. Hope this helps and sorry for the ramble.
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We really like our 310 - especially the residential fridge (with solar and LiFePO4 batteries), dual pane windows and auto-leveling (which we didn't have on our 2016 Reflection 337). The only downside is storage and CCC - actually a bit less than the 337. We have to be careful about traveling with a full fresh water tank... and we don't load a bunch of stuff for full-timers, either. With the dual pane windows and two Coleman Mach 15K ACs, it's easier to cool than the 337 was, and I don't have to keep Reflectix in the windows (which my wife hated). Laura loves the larger kitchen and more counter space. Contrary to what others have said, the new Furrion oven is heads and shoulders above the Atwood in the Reflection. She bakes all kinds of things in it without any issues, now. One of the biggest improvements we made was having a washer and dryer installed (driven by the pandemic and not wanting to frequent laundromats as we had the previous 4 yrs 9 mos).

Rob
    “ The only downside is storage and CCC - actually a bit less than the 337. We have to be careful about traveling with a full fresh water tank.”
    Can I ask what you mean by CCC and what the issue is with traveling a full fresh water tank?

Thanks

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenwarrior View Post
    “ The only downside is storage and CCC - actually a bit less than the 337. We have to be careful about traveling with a full fresh water tank.”
    Can I ask what you mean by CCC and what the issue is with traveling a full fresh water tank?

Thanks
    CCC is Cargo Carrying Capacity (payload) and on the 310GK a full tank of fresh water weighs over 500 lbs. It's all about weight management so one doesn't go over the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) for the trailer or exceed the ratings on the axles, tires, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 Reflection 367 BHS 5 th wheel. We have driven it 2000 miles roundtrip to Colorado and back, over Berthoud Pass last summer for 2 weeks and another 1800 miles roundtrip to Texas for a month this year. We’ve also had it out on multiple long weekend jaunts. The only 3 things we have had an issue with: a broken window shade and a water heater controller pad (Both of which the GD dealer/rep sent us the materials and tools to repair ourselves within 2 days) and a loose trim piece we glued on ourselves.
    We’ve had nothing but good service from both our local dealer and GD directly, helping us troubleshoot and taking us at our word as to the problem and promptly sending repair parts. Nothing but good news here!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DbooneTN View Post
    Does the Grand Design Solitude use hardwood for their trim or is it wrapped?
    The only hardwoods (other than possibly door/drawer faces...we're not sure) we can find in our 2016 Solitude 379FL is the oak we used to reinforce/rebuild the rear closet when it collapsed on the way back to Michigan from Florida...

It is very unlikely that hardwoods would be used for production because of higher cost and added weight.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzyptx View Post
    I think you have to think about a new RV like buying a new sticks and bricks house. There are many systems and components in either. There will be some problems.
    We live in a 2016 Heartland 5th, and love it, but have had a few problems. Hubby is great about keeping that rv well maintained.

We bought a Reflection 29RS 5th in January (yep, right before COVID hit! We've had a few problems with it, some of which he fixed himself. It went back to the dealer, where it was easy to get an appointment, during COVID (without any contact), and they fixed the bottom track which fell off of one of the night shades, replaced the comforter which was full of pulls when we bought it, and got the fireplace to work (it had died suddenly on our first trip (pre COVID). The fireplace problem was that the receptacle for the plug was not firmly installed, and it came loose. Easy fix ....for the dealer.

We have already spent nearly a month of nights in it, and by the end of this month we will have spent over 40 nights in it. Everything works fine, and we continued to be impressed by Grand Design's quality and finishes for the price. So far, no other problems.

As the woman of the house, my only complaints are that there is no place for a washer and dryer, the shower is a bit tight (but then, it's 10+ feet smaller than our live in), and the bedroom slide pushes the mattress over slightly when it is closes. The lighting in the kitchen/dining/living area of the GD and the use of skylights in it are awesome, as are the interior motion lights, but I do wish that some of the light switches were more conveniently located, and I would prefer that the overhead lights were controlled by more than a single switch (it's awfully bright in there with all of them on at once). :-)

On the upside, the Furrion oven is a huge improvement over our other, and the convection/microwave is great. In the other rv I have a toaster oven/convection oven on the countertop. It's nice not to need it!! The inside storage in the rv is great, and the finishes are attractive and modersn. A choice of USB ports in the unit is also a great feature.
    Several people on this forum including myself moved the main light switch below with the other switches. Its fairly easy to do. I don't understand why GD put the main light switch behind a cabinet door. The convection microwave is awesome. We haven't even used the gas stove since we purchased the unit (337rls) last year. One thing i did was to install an outside vent for the microwave. Don't know if your unit has it. I had the dealer do this. The convection heats up quicker and the blower during the convection part doesn't come on until it hits the set temperature. Before, the blower would kick on before reaching the set temperature and it never reached 400 degrees. This is a design flaw that GD needs to correct. I believe the solitude s have the exhaust installed at the factory, but the lower end units don't.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DbooneTN View Post
    Do you currently (or ever) own a Grand Design unit you are having issues with? Did customer service address issues if any?
    Yes I purchased a GD and currently still own it. I'm waiting for blinds to be replaced because they are too short and the dealer lost the replacements. I've made 12 trips to the dealer so far to take care of a 30 item punch list with a cost of around $1000 in fuel and tolls. Two more new issues are the connector to my truck is failing and I'm losing brakes intermittently. Second is, I pulled one of the lights and have airflow from the AC coming out of the hole from obviously leaky ductwork. When it's finally done I am selling this POS, I'm tired of all the B.S.
    Last edited by Brewhedd; 07-09-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on June 17th i sent pictures of how low our rear level jacks were to the ground. We have not been able to take it out since we got it. There is only 4 inches from the bottom of the jacks to the ground when hitched. On that date I was told the correct ones would be sent to my home. I got one on Monday, no information on when the other will get here... so far NOT impressed with customer service....
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast