User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced our drivers side with the 3000# springs as well, and while I was at it decided to repack the bearing as well. (Got new axles, springs, and brakes last August at the rally) And both passenger side axles had leaked. Now I've ordered disc brakes. BTW, we are still 1/4" low on drivers side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mageorge View Post
    I just replaced our drivers side with the 3000# springs as well, and while I was at it decided to repack the bearing as well. (Got new axles, springs, and brakes last August at the rally) And both passenger side axles had leaked. Now I've ordered disc brakes. BTW, we are still 1/4" low on drivers side.

Hi Mike,

It seems there are a few of us "re-engineering" the 303 to ride level and brake effectively .
    I am also working through the the problem of still riding a little low on the left side despite having 3000 lb springs on that side. But . . . I have 4 leaf 3000 lb springs. Did you upgrade to 4 leaf or 5 leaf heavier springs?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Mike,

It seems there are a few of us "re-engineering" the 303 to ride level and brake effectively .
    I am also working through the the problem of still riding a little low on the left side despite having 3000 lb springs on that side. But . . . I have 4 leaf 3000 lb springs. Did you upgrade to 4 leaf or 5 leaf heavier springs?

Rob
    I used the 5 leaf version, but the 2600# only have about 1000 miles on them so far, and we are getting ready for a 2500 trip in a couple weeks so I'll see how much they both settle.

Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mageorge View Post
    I used the 5 leaf version, but the 2600# only have about 1000 miles on them so far, and we are getting ready for a 2500 trip in a couple weeks so I'll see how much they both settle.

Agreed . . . will be interesting to learn how these "settle out". By my calculations, even with the 5 leaf, I will still be a little low on the left side. But, I haven't installed the 5 leaf springs yet to prove this out one way or the other. Pat and I are starting to kick around the idea of custom shackle lengths to trim this even closer. It's become an "engineering obsession" to get this perfect .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat, Yes all the new u bolts were torqued to 90 ft/lbs. they ended up replacing the U bolts on both sides because the new right side brass bushings had to be pressed in the spring eyes. I don't Know if the shop took any measurements? They labeled the yellow cams and put them back in the original place. I was told that everything went right back together easy. Didn't do an alignment. I will keep a close watch on tire wear this year. I plan on replacing the westlakes next year.
    Paul & Debbie
    2015 303RLS. #679 16” tires 2” lift
    2018 F350 SRW CCSB 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 B&W Std Hitch

Sold 5/18. 2005 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab short bed Duramax,

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat is right that the LCI manual has different U Bolt torque values for the 5200 lb axle vs the 6000 lb axle. (See attached from the LCI manual) 65 ft lbs vs 90 ft lbs. Since the U bolts and top plates are identical, the only difference must be in what they are clamping. The springs are only nominally different, so the difference must be the axles. I wonder if the axle tube wall thickness is different ?? Someone mentioned this a long time ago on this forum, but I can't find it now. I split the difference and torqued both sides on mine to 80 ft lbs. Nothing appears to have moved and U Bolt torque is still at 80 indicating that nothing has distorted or compressed.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LCI Suspension Torques.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Agreed . . . will be interesting to learn how these "settle out". By my calculations, even with the 5 leaf, I will still be a little low on the left side. But, I haven't installed the 5 leaf springs yet to prove this out one way or the other. Pat and I are starting to kick around the idea of custom shackle lengths to trim this even closer. It's become an "engineering obsession" to get this perfect .

Rob
    Rob, Obsession , yep...

Will be sending you a 3D CAD drawing of what your suspension should be like with 3.125" and 2.25" shackles with 5 leaf 3k springs. I am using the loaded arch for your 3k 4 leaf springs to try to get somewhat close measurements. Or I could use my loaded arch measurements if you like.

Do you have the measurement for the EquaFlex shackle mount spread?

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob--see attached thread post #12 from our old buddy "Retread" about a year ago stating 3/16" for 5200# vs 1/4" for 6000# axles. I could not verify the accuracy of his feedback but if I do run across something here or elsewhere, I will share it. Hopefully someone who does know definitively will post.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ight=thickness

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Rob--see attached thread post #12 from our old buddy "Retread" about a year ago stating 3/16" for 5200# vs 1/4" for 6000# axles. I could not verify the accuracy of his feedback but if I do run across something here or elsewhere, I will share it. Hopefully someone who does know definitively will post.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ight=thickness

Dan
    Thanks Dan . . . that's what I was looking for.
    I will ask Emily for confirmation of this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry its been awhile but, here is my report The trailer is level from side to side. All I can guess Is between the second awning and the booth dinette it must help level the weight from side to side. I don't know any body with scales for each side so I can't get weight for each side. As far as the springs go I'm going to order 2018 Ford so I will make the changes I need then. It would be nice if Ford would lower there truck down some. Our 2008 450 is high enough.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast