Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Rob,
    What is your opinion of "boxing" the suspension hangers (welding plates onto the open sides of each)? I recently had a bent one and got it replaced, but when I posted on FB about it quite a few folks were mentioning doing this. I didn't know if perhaps. I have had to replace 3 hangers in our 5 years on the road, but hesitate to make design changes. Thoughts?
    Hi Alan,

“Boxing” the hangers is definitely a worthwhile addition, particularly with the tall hangers that both LCI and Dexter use on some GDRV models. The common way to do this is what the industry calls “V Clips”. There are many reference to these in the long thread on broken hangers, but Gene has posted the best pictures in post 282 of https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...057#post218057 although these pics are not of a Grand Design product. See also the picture that I attached to post 285. Note that the V Clip is welded across its ends at the frame but only down opposite legs of the hanger to maintain some flexibility in tightening to the spring bushing. Boxing the ends of the hanger would make it too rigid to bend in to the bushing which is typically shorter than the free width of the hanger. I have V Clips installed in all my hangers . . . after this was suggested by the LCI tech when he was replacing (and reinforcing) the hanger that broke on my Reflection. The first post in the long thread referenced above.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-14-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS